The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 27, 2008, 03:07am
In Time Out

fumble during inbounds and timeout during a loose ball

two quick ones. If the ref calls a timeout accidentally during a loose ball, is the timeout granted to the team? I assume play is stopped and it goes to AP but I wanted to check.

2. I saw a player go to pass, stop but the ball fumbled out of his hands and into the air. He caught it and then passed it in. no violation was called. If the fumble was into the air but past the line where he was throwing it in could he have reached over the line and grabbed the ball and pulled it back if his feet didn't go over? I think the defender could hit the ball during that situation. Just thought of this one which is related to it- if the offensive player has his arms past the line before he inbounds and he is struck on the arm is that a personal foul?
Old Thu Nov 27, 2008, 03:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
two quick ones. If the ref calls a timeout accidentally during a loose ball, is the timeout granted to the team? I assume play is stopped and it goes to AP but I wanted to check.

2. I saw a player go to pass, stop but the ball fumbled out of his hands and into the air. He caught it and then passed it in. no violation was called. If the fumble was into the air but past the line where he was throwing it in could he have reached over the line and grabbed the ball and pulled it back if his feet didn't go over? I think the defender could hit the ball during that situation. Just thought of this one which is related to it- if the offensive player has his arms past the line before he inbounds and he is struck on the arm is that a personal foul?
1. If a team asks for a time-out and an official sounds the whistle and grants it, then the team will be charged with one and entitled to use it, even if they should not have been awarded the time-out in the first place. Play shall be resumed at the point of interruption. NFHS Rule 4-36 describes the details of that.

2. A player can recover a fumble. A fumble is not a pass, so there was nothing wrong with the action you have described during this throw-in.
Since the ball broke the boundary plane, the defender has the right to contact it.

2.a. When the thrower extends his arms through the boundary plane and is fouled on the inbounds side of that plane this is a personal foul. Furthermore, it is a common foul. There was an NFHS test question on that a couple of years ago.
Old Thu Nov 27, 2008, 03:44am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
If the ref calls a timeout accidentally during a loose ball, is the timeout granted to the team? I assume play is stopped and it goes to AP but I wanted to check.
AP may or may not be the point of interruption. Team control may still exist, even though the ball is loose. If so, the team is control would get the ball back.

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Nov 27, 2008, 03:32pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Who You Gonna Call? Mythbusters ...

Quote:
I saw a player go to pass, stop but the ball fumbled out of his hands and into the air. He caught it and then passed it in. no violation was called. If the fumble was into the air but past the line where he was throwing it in could he have reached over the line and grabbed the ball and pulled it back if his feet didn't go over? I think the defender could hit the ball during that situation. Just thought of this one which is related to it- if the offensive player has his arms past the line before he inbounds and he is struck on the arm is that a personal foul?
A player inbounding the ball may step on, but not over the line. During a designated spot throwin, the player inbounding the ball must keep one foot on or over the three-foot wide designated spot. An inbounding player is allowed to jump or move one or both feet. A player inbounding the ball may move backward as far as the five-second time limit or space allows. If player moves outside the three-foot wide designated spot it is a violation, not travelling. In gymnasiums with limited space outside the sidelines and endlines, a defensive player may be asked to step back no more than three feet. A player inbounding the ball may bounce the ball on the out-of-bounds area prior to making a throwin. After a goal, or awarded goal, the team not credited with the score shall make the throw-in from any point outside the end line. A team retains this “run the endline” privilege if a timeout is called during the dead ball period after the goal. Any player of the team may make a direct throw-in or may pass the ball along the end line to a teammate outside the boundary line.

The defender may not break the imaginary plane during a throwin until the ball has been released on a throw-in pass. If the defender breaks the imaginary plane during a throwin before the ball has been released on a throw-in pass, the defender’s team will receive a team warning, or if the team has already been warned for one of the four delay situations, this action would result in a team technical foul. If the defender contacts the ball after breaking the imaginary plane, it is a player technical foul and a team warning will be recorded. If the defender fouls the inbounding player after breaking the imaginary plane, it is an intentional personal foul, and a team warning will be recorded.

The inbounding player does not have a plane restriction, but has five seconds to release the ball and it must come directly onto the court. The ball can always be passed into the backcourt during a throwin. This situation is not a backcourt violation.

Is the fumble a release on a throw-in pass?

May not be relevant to the original question, but I'll throw this in for free:

During a fumble the player is not in control of the ball, and therefore, cannot be called for a traveling violation. A fumble is the accidental loss of player control when the ball is unintentionally dropped or slips from a player’s grasp. After a player has ended a dribble and fumbled the ball, that player may recover the ball without violating. Any steps taken during the recovery of a fumble are not traveling, regardless of how far the ball goes and the amount of advantage that is gained. It is always legal to recover a fumble, even at the end of a dribble, however that player cannot begin a new dribble, which would be an illegal dribble violation. A player who fumbles the ball when receiving a pass may legally start a dribble.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Nov 27, 2008 at 03:36pm.