The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 21, 2008, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

By unilateral decree...

Ok, I'm officially going on record that I have unilaterally decreed the following NFHS interpretation to be null and void.
I refuse to enforce it and I will advocate that all of my colleagues don't follow it.

2007-08 Basketball Rules Interpretations

SITUATION 10: A1, in the team's frontcourt, passes to A2, also in the team's frontcourt. B1 deflects the ball toward Team A's backcourt. The ball bounces only in Team A's frontcourt before crossing the division line. While the ball is still in the air over Team A's backcourt, but never having touched in Team A's backcourt, A2 gains possession of the ball while standing in Team A's backcourt. RULING: Backcourt violation on Team A. Team A was still in team control and caused the ball to have backcourt status. Had A2 permitted the ball to bounce in the backcourt after having been deflected by B1, there would have been no backcourt violation. (4-4-1; 4-4-3; 9-9-1)
Old Fri Nov 21, 2008, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
RULING: Backcourt violation on Team A. Team A was still in team control and caused the ball to have backcourt status.
WTF - How could Team A have caused the ball to have backcourt status. They never touched it. Hard sell to the coach.

I agree, Good No Call.
Old Fri Nov 21, 2008, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3SPORT View Post
WTF - How could Team A have caused the ball to have backcourt status. They never touched it. Hard sell to the coach.
The ball isn't in the backcourt until it touches something. It had frontcourt status when it was in the air over the backcourt.

On a related question, A is passing in the frontcourt and B deflects the ball into the backcourt. When do you start the 10 second count for A to get the ball to the frontcourt?
Old Fri Nov 21, 2008, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

as soon as the ball has back court status.
Old Fri Nov 21, 2008, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
as soon as the ball has back court status.
So why does when the ball obtains back court status matter for starting the count but not for calling the violation?
Old Fri Nov 21, 2008, 09:41pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB View Post
So why does when the ball obtains back court status matter for starting the count but not for calling the violation?
The rule says team A must be the last to touch the ball "before" it gained BC status. The word "before" simply cannot mean "simultaneously," which it would have to if the interpretation is correct.
Old Fri Nov 21, 2008, 09:42pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Here's a correct call you'll never have to make:

A1 with ball in FC, passes towards A2, also in FC. B1 tips ball into BC where it makes very slow progress.

10 seconds later; violation on Team A for 10 seconds in the BC.
Old Fri Nov 21, 2008, 09:50pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

BTW, I think this is a case of the rules committee self smarting themselves.
Old Fri Nov 21, 2008, 10:00pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post

A1 with ball in FC, passes towards A2, also in FC. B1 tips ball into BC where it makes very slow progress.

Depends on how fast you count.

Just kidding.
Old Fri Nov 21, 2008, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post

I could see it happening where a team at the end of the game who was winning thought the count wouldn't start until they picked up the ball therefore they let it roll to waste some time. But they would probably pick it up before the 10 seconds had passed and get the violation called after dribbling around for 3 seconds.
Old Fri Nov 21, 2008, 10:40pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Whether I would call this or not would be dictated by what effect it would have on the possibility of the game going into overtime. I think that's a good criteria to use for how to make any call late in a close game.
Old Fri Nov 21, 2008, 10:44pm
Esteemed Forum Member

And I'll Give You A "Sigh" Too ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Whether I would call this or not would be dictated by what effect it would have on the possibility of the game going into overtime.
"Good Grief".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Nov 22, 2008, 12:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Ok, I'm officially going on record that I have unilaterally decreed the following NFHS interpretation to be null and void.
I refuse to enforce it and I will advocate that all of my colleagues don't follow it.

2007-08 Basketball Rules Interpretations

SITUATION 10: A1, in the team's frontcourt, passes to A2, also in the team's frontcourt. B1 deflects the ball toward Team A's backcourt. The ball bounces only in Team A's frontcourt before crossing the division line. While the ball is still in the air over Team A's backcourt, but never having touched in Team A's backcourt, A2 gains possession of the ball while standing in Team A's backcourt. RULING: Backcourt violation on Team A. Team A was still in team control and caused the ball to have backcourt status. Had A2 permitted the ball to bounce in the backcourt after having been deflected by B1, there would have been no backcourt violation. (4-4-1; 4-4-3; 9-9-1)
What interp? I don't recall reading any such interp. Ever.

Yooohooo, NFHS, are you listening? This interp is FLAT OUT WRONG. Utterly and completely wrong. Please fix it. Call it an editorial change if you need to save face, but get this abomination off the books.
Old Sat Nov 22, 2008, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Enough of this madness

1) NFHS cant figure out that before means before...

2) The whole throw-in exception thing... Rule 9-9-3 on the throw-in is nonsense as well... I understand the exception ends when the throw in... ( Inow it is consistent with the college ruling but...

To fix this mess....

1) Let's define team control on the throw-in
2) g. Frontcourt/backcourt status is not attained until a player with the ball has established a positive position in either half during (1) a jump ball, (2) a steal by a defensive player,(3) a throw-in (4) any time the ball is loose.
3) Define loose ball as a bat or deflection of a throw-in...

(Go figure I got this from the NBA) it is a whole H%^ll of a lot easier...
Old Sat Nov 22, 2008, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

I see your argument, but the following question (I'll paraphrase) is on the test every year or two:

T/F Team B causes the ball to be OOB when Thrower A1's pass is batted back into A1 before A1 has had a chance to re-enter the court.

We know this is false, as the violation is on A1 and the ball is given to B. So what makes the OP situation any different. B definitely deflected the ball, but it still had front court status. It didn't have back court status until A2 touched it. Who caused the ball to have back court status? A2.

Whether you want to call it or not is your business, but I agree with the interp.