The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 20, 2008, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

Duke/So IL intentional Foul call

About 6:40 left in game Duke get's a steal fastbreak dunk and the kid is fouled by So. IL. No call is made then the Duke player flies to the floor and the officail blows whistle to stop for injury, but then they call an intentional foul. I have seen a delayed call but not that delayed.

I don't even think it was intentional I mean he went up right behind the Duke player going for the ball.

Any thoughts?
Old Thu Nov 20, 2008, 09:08pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
I saw it too. Looked like the L wasn't going to make a call at all and I believe the T came in and the call turned into an intentional foul.

Interesting comments by our bud Bob Knight in the booth too - he said it was not intentional.

The fall was very similar to what happened to the NC player who is now out with the broken bones in his hand......the Dukey went down awkward and hard but looks to be ok.

PS - Coach K went nuts......
Old Thu Nov 20, 2008, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member

The Lead had no whistle. The Center had nothing.
The TRAIL came running in from beyond the division line sounding his whistle several times and made the intentional foul call.
Old Thu Nov 20, 2008, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

you see, thats the power the best coach in the country has on the game. the lead official was letting it go and stopping the game for an injury and never say the reaction of coach K. the trail say the no call and say coach K go nuts on the no call. he then came charging in and told the lead , hey we better get together and call a T or intentional or he will have our heads. thats the power of coach K.
Old Thu Nov 20, 2008, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe the L and C were blocked or screened ? Could the trail have been the more experienced of the crew and decided to take charge, plus he had a better angel of the push into the basket support.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but in HS hard fouls like this play are to be considered intentional.
Old Thu Nov 20, 2008, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

true

That is so sad, but oh so true the power of a powerful coach! There should have been a foul as there was contact a simple "and 1" would have done the foul justice.

I am guessing that play will be discussed in the locker room after the game.
Old Thu Nov 20, 2008, 09:44pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzeeRef View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but in HS hard fouls like this play are to be considered intentional.
Ok.

4-19-3
Intentional fouls may or may not be premeditated and are not based solely on the severity of the act.
Old Thu Nov 20, 2008, 09:47pm
M.A.S.H.

I thought it was a clean play. Then again, I attend Southern so I might be biased.
Old Thu Nov 20, 2008, 11:13pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
Ok.

4-19-3
Intentional fouls may or may not be premeditated and are not based solely on the severity of the act.
High school rule:
4-19-3 "A foul shall also be ruled intentional if while playing the ball a player causes excessive contact with an opponent."

The very next sentence after your quote.

Not sure if NCAA has the same wording.
Old Thu Nov 20, 2008, 11:26pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
High school rule:
4-19-3 "A foul shall also be ruled intentional if while playing the ball a player causes excessive contact with an opponent."

Right, but I wouldn't consider the description of a "hard foul" excessive contact.
Old Thu Nov 20, 2008, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
High school rule:

I didn't see the play but I hope it be YouTube to watch.

NCAA Rulebook Pg 146

Section 4. Intentional Personal Fouling
Guidelines for calling the intentional personal foul are:

f. It is an intentional personal foul when, while playing the ball, a player
causes excessive contact with an opponent.
Old Fri Nov 21, 2008, 02:33am
Official Forum Member

I watched it on sports center and rewound a few times in slow motion. IMO, Lead is straight lined, I have no idea where C is but I don't know how you make this call w/o the perfect angle the TV camera has. I really really don't see how T comes in w/ this one. For T to come get the foul late, I say that's correct, but to go w/ the "X"...not sure about that.

If you watch it, all the contact was the forearm in the back (he did appear the play the ball w/ his other arm) and the defender standing over the duke player for a second at the end sure didn't help his case for not getting an intentional called.
Old Fri Nov 21, 2008, 02:46am
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Thanks...

Quote:
I thought it was a clean play. Then again, I attend Southern so I might be biased.
for Coach Painter. I'm a Boilermaker, graduated 05/98. Wasn't to sure about him, but damn can that guy recruit so far.
Old Fri Nov 21, 2008, 03:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Ok.

4-19-3
That implies that it can be, at least in part, based on the severity of the act.
Old Fri Nov 21, 2008, 03:13am
Official Forum Member

I just watched it and IMO it was a foul for sure. (push in the back) How the lead had nothing, I'm not quite sure. Where the C was. I'm not sure. How the T comes in with his call after seeing the direction coach K took to yell at him is almost unimaginable. I really believe this looked worse and turned out worse because of the angle of the shooter and the defender heading to the bucket. Straight down the lane. Defender has no where to go but into the base of the bucket standard.
Would anyone be a little pissed at the T if you were the L???