The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 03, 2004, 07:36pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

With about 10 minutes to go in the first half, it appeared JJ Redick of Duke was blasted over the arms on a 3-point attempt. Official Ray Nattilli (forgive the spelling) made no call, and Coach K was ALL OVER him. Duke called time out, Coach K followed the official out onto the floor, and fellow official Karl Hess (or was it Duke Edsall? I get these two confused) T'd up Coach K. Coach K spent the next few minutes grilling Nattilli.

However, a replay from the baseline showed that in fact Redick WAS NOT hit, he just faked it by pulling his arms to the left after the shot, making it appear he was fouled.

Officials take alot of heat for a call here and and call there. Let's give this young guy some credit for what I felt was a GREAT no-call.
Old Wed Mar 03, 2004, 07:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Hohn Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Hohn
Yeah that move ranks right up there with kids going to the floor when they know they bricked one or see a kid flying out at them....
Old Wed Mar 03, 2004, 07:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TriggerMN
Officials take alot of heat for a call here and and call there. Let's give this young guy some credit for what I felt was a GREAT no-call.
Let's also give credit to his partner who T'd up one of the most deserving coaches in the country.
Old Wed Mar 03, 2004, 07:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Hohn Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Hohn
*lifts a beer to salute* HEAR HEAR!!!
Old Wed Mar 03, 2004, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

Coach K, a whiner? Noooooooo.......
Good no call, good partner help with the T
Old Wed Mar 03, 2004, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

Similar situation

Last night at the first round of the boys class 2A sub-state tournament, My partner is T and I am C. A kid recieves the pass at the elbow (away from C) pulls up for the three. I check my partner to see if I need to mirror his three attempt and as the kid releases the ball, I (along with the other 300+ people in th egym) hear a loud SMACK. I look at the defender and he is just standing there with his hand in the air. I had nothing (because I saw nothing) and my partner had nothing as well.

To make a long story short, at the next dead ball, our other partner who was under the basket, told The T that he had a great no call......appearantly, the kid smacked his leg with his off hand after he released the ball.
Old Thu Mar 04, 2004, 02:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: Similar situation

Quote:
Originally posted by FHSUref
Only GOD can judge me.
Yea, but your assigner can judge your reffing!
Old Thu Mar 04, 2004, 02:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigGref
I to watched the game and actually got into an argument with my roomates over the call in question. I constantly get in arguments with them over officiating, and one guy who is a journalism major is on the Nader boat trying to convince me that the whole league, speaking about the NBA, is corrupt and NBC decides the games!

I tried to convince him that the slight hand graze doesn't constitue giving 3 shots to a guy. It isn't even really a foul, since you can slap the hand of a guy who has the ball in that particular hand. Reddick is probably learning from one of the great floppers of our time, good old Vlade Divac!
Old Thu Mar 04, 2004, 06:07am
Huck Finn

Re: Similar situation

Quote:
Last night at the first round of the boys class 2A sub-state tournament, My partner is T and I am C. A kid recieves the pass at the elbow (away from C) pulls up for the three. I check my partner to see if I need to mirror his three attempt and as the kid releases the ball, I (along with the other 300+ people in th egym) hear a loud SMACK. I look at the defender and he is just standing there with his hand in the air. I had nothing (because I saw nothing) and my partner had nothing as well.

To make a long story short, at the next dead ball, our other partner who was under the basket, told The T that he had a great no call......appearantly, the kid smacked his leg with his off hand after he released the ball.
This has been discussed in other threads but basically you've just told us that 6 eyes were on the ball when it was clearly in the T's primary. Unless the other 8 players were in the T's primary this is wrong. Someone was getting held in the paint! Even though I wasn't there you can't really dispute that now can you?

BigGref, you can tell your roomates that NBC hasn't even had anything to do with the NBA for two years.
Old Thu Mar 04, 2004, 07:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Let's also give credit to his partner who T'd up one of the most deserving coaches in the country.
Hye! Hey! Let's not pick on Coach K. Just because the Dukies continually beat-up on the Tarheels and Wolfpack is no reason.
Old Thu Mar 04, 2004, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Similar situation

Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
Quote:

This has been discussed in other threads but basically you've just told us that 6 eyes were on the ball when it was clearly in the T's primary. Unless the other 8 players were in the T's primary this is wrong. Someone was getting held in the paint! Even though I wasn't there you can't really dispute that now can you?

BigGref, you can tell your roomates that NBC hasn't even had anything to do with the NBA for two years.

On the contrary my good friend. To glance over at a player who just received the ball doesn't constitute ball watching when the ball came out of L's primary. The next competitive match up for me (at C) was at the free-throw line on the other side of the paint. So, when I heard the slap, I glanced (you know, a quick look) to see if the kids arm had been hit or anything like that. I didn't follow the shot to the rim after that. I quickly located the paint and the nearest competitive match-up to ensure that there was no pushing and shoving going on underneath. I guess you had to be there to see all 10 kids on one side of the floor. That is why I wrote "to make a long story short."
Old Thu Mar 04, 2004, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dblref
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Hye! Hey! Let's not pick on Coach K. Just because the Dukies continually beat-up on the Tarheels and Wolfpack is no reason.
Around 13 years ago #1 son attended a camp for HS kids run by Coach K at Duke. He has to be the reincarnation of Dr Jekyll. He greeted parents as we dropped off our kids and when we pick them up a week latter. Knew the kids by name and had good things to say about each and also what they needed to work on.

But once he is on the court...
Old Thu Mar 04, 2004, 10:19am
Huck Finn

Re: Re: Re: Similar situation

Quote:
To glance over at a player who just received the ball doesn't constitute ball watching when the ball came out of L's primary. The next competitive match up for me (at C) was at the free-throw line on the other side of the paint. So, when I heard the slap, I glanced (you know, a quick look) to see if the kids arm had been hit or anything like that. I didn't follow the shot to the rim after that. I quickly located the paint and the nearest competitive match-up to ensure that there was no pushing and shoving going on underneath. I guess you had to be there to see all 10 kids on one side of the floor. That is why I wrote "to make a long story short." [/B]
So you are saying that there is nothing wrong with looking at the player that just received the ball even though the pass didn't come out of your area and didn't come into your area. Also, you said you needed to check your partner to see if you needed to mirror a three attempt. Your words not mine. When did we start looking at every pass out of our area? When did we look to mirror a three attempt that is clearly not in our primary? Come on, you can tell us, you just did a tiny bit of ball watching, right?
Old Thu Mar 04, 2004, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Re: Re: Re: Similar situation

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
Quote:

On the contrary my good friend. To glance over at a player who just received the ball doesn't constitute ball watching when the ball came out of L's primary. The next competitive match up for me (at C) was at the free-throw line on the other side of the paint. So, when I heard the slap, I glanced (you know, a quick look) to see if the kids arm had been hit or anything like that. I didn't follow the shot to the rim after that. I quickly located the paint and the nearest competitive match-up to ensure that there was no pushing and shoving going on underneath. I guess you had to be there to see all 10 kids on one side of the floor. That is why I wrote "to make a long story short."
Don't bother wasting your time. Our friend tomegun is from the "I'm not moving my eyes from this 5 square feet of shiny floor no matter what happens" school. The rest of us get what you're saying.
Old Thu Mar 04, 2004, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

You got me. I was accidentally hitting the "explain" button on my keyboard. Had I known, I would have saved my fingers some typing. Are you completely oblivious to where your partners and the ball is when you are on the court? Call me a ball watcher if that is what you want. Next time, I will try to post a picture so that you can see it clearly.