The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 19, 2008, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to PSidbury
Recommended reading...???

Okay, I have the NFHS Rules Book, The Case Book, Rules By Topic, Rules Simplified & Illustrated, The Mechanics Handbook, ASEP's Officiating Basketball, etc.

However, now I am looking for something to read that is a little more outside the technical/mechanics box. Something along the lines of "What They Don't Teach You At Harvard Business School." You know, anecdotal, semi-philosophical, tricks of the trade stuff.

I see "Smart Basketball Officiating" by Bill Topp and Carl P. Schwartz, however I am not seeing reader reviews for this book (Amazon, Barnes & Noble, etc.) to give me an indication of if it is worth reading in lieu of a better book.

So, how many of you have read this book and what are your impressions and would you recommend it?
Can you suggest other non-technical basketball referee books?

Thanks,
Paul
Old Wed Nov 19, 2008, 11:55am
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

You should get the greatest book ever written about basketball officiating (how's that for an endorsement) - "Calling The Shots" by Earl Strom. Not only is it great reading, but Earl completely and logically explains the "NBA mentality" when it comes to calling an NBA game - that it's entertainment first and foremost and if the game starts getting called in such a way that the fans stop enjoying it and therefore stop coming to games, watching games on TV and stop buying NBA merchandise, then everyone associated with the league is out of a job.

Plus - his anecdotes are hilarious.
Old Wed Nov 19, 2008, 06:02pm
Official Forum Member

I'd definitely recommend Strom's book.
Old Wed Nov 19, 2008, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSidbury View Post
I see "Smart Basketball Officiating" by Bill Topp and Carl P. Schwartz, however I am not seeing reader reviews for this book (Amazon, Barnes & Noble, etc.) to give me an indication of if it is worth reading in lieu of a better book.

So, how many of you have read this book and what are your impressions and would you recommend it?
Can you suggest other non-technical basketball referee books?

Thanks,
Paul
Bill Topp is the VP of Publishing and Management Services for Referee Magazine.

Carl P. Schwartz is a well-respected soccer referee and assessor. He is also involved with Referee Magazine as the soccer coordinator. I didn't know that he had anything to do with basketball officiating. However, he can definitely impart some wisdom about officiating in general that carries across all sports. I know that he is the author of a similar book entitled "Smart Soccer Officiating" that is produced by Referee Enterprises (parent company which publishes Referee Magazine).