The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 19, 2008, 09:39am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
See the call, make the call. Know the difference between a block and a charge. Just cause my partner kicks a block/charge at one end doesn't mean I'll do so at the other end in the name of "consistency," either.
Rich, I honestly do not mean to be condescending, but perhaps you missed my first post in this thread.

Most of the time, your view is valid. But there are those calls that are so close, they could very reasonably go either way. We've seen several videos of these on the site in the last couple months. These are the plays that we're talking about. We want all these plays (if there is more than one in the game) to be called the same.

The "classic" block/charges that you mention are not really what we're talking about when we discuss having the same call at both ends.
Old Wed Nov 19, 2008, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64 View Post
Being as honest and forthright as I can. You're in your second year... you will be having a hard enough time as is to get plays right because you probably haven't seen enough and your play recall is just now starting to get plays filed away in your programmed brain.

Go out and get plays right and the other stuff like tempo, flow, cadence, consistency and feel will just come naturally and come even sooner the harder and more work you put into it. Good luck and just go out and get plays right.

And this is my underlying attitude- I've still got too much going on, especially the beginning of the game, to have to remember a play 2 minutes or 2 quarters ago and to try to do the same. I'm OK with the theory of "be consistent on bang-bang calls" but I have to admit, if I'm not reminding myself of it before I get to my position on the lead, chances are I'm gonna see it, call it, report it and THEN I might remember what my partner called and cringe... hopefully before the coach remembers and tries to blast me for it.

And on the coaches complaining about it, I don't care. Maybe next year or even later on this year, I will care, but not now. "Coach I saw it clearly" is about all I'll say. Nothing about the last call...
Old Thu Nov 20, 2008, 02:40pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeedonk View Post
My 2nd year (I keep telling y'all that)- as we are moving to better games the more senior officials have been advising us to pregame the first two block/charges of the game. Goes something like this- if I'm lead and I have a player control on my end and we go back down and you have something similar, you'd better be calling a player control foul as well...
I say put all this out of your head. The last call has no bearing on the next call.

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Nov 20, 2008, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Plain and Simple

We can debate this for years, but in the end there is only 1 answer -- Call it as you see it. If you see a block, call a block. If you see a Player Control foul, call a PC foul. If you see a travel, call a travel.
Old Thu Nov 20, 2008, 06:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grail View Post
We can debate this for years, but in the end there is only 1 answer -- Call it as you see it. If you see a block, call a block. If you see a Player Control foul, call a PC foul. If you see a travel, call a travel.
Yet we all agree that these are judgment calls and that we may all judge them differently. With the inevitable variation, you and your partner could end up calling a very different game if you don't make an effort to pay attention to how your partner is calling the game or even what you've previously called. Having a clear inconsistency among a crew never leads to a good place. The same play should be the same call throughout the game.

When your partner has previously called 5 blocks on what were essentially the same contact against team B, you, having the very same type of contact with the teams in reverse, would be ill advised to call a charge against team B. It doesn't matter if you think it should be a charge and think all 5 of your partner's calls were marginal. The pattern has been well established....don't change it. Be consistent as a crew.