The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 11, 2008, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

For FIBA officials (new rule)

For those of you who use FIBA rules, I'm interested in what you think of the new unsportsmanlike foul rule which is similar to the NBA's clear path foul.

First here is the rule as it is written:

Art. 36.1.4 Unsportsmanlike foul If a defensive player causes contact with an opponent from behind or laterally in an attempt to stop a fast break and there is no opponent between the offensive player and the opponents’ basket, then the contact shall be judged to be unsportsmanlike.

The NBA's version (clear path) specifies that it applies from foul line to foul line. The FIBA rule does not. Maybe I'm being picky here. But if you take the new rule literally, a player on a fast break going for a layup who is fouled from behind (or laterally) could be charged with an unsportsmanlike foul.
Old Thu Sep 11, 2008, 11:36pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay R
For those of you who use FIBA rules, I'm interested in what you think of the new unsportsmanlike foul rule which is similar to the NBA's clear path foul.

First here is the rule as it is written:

Art. 36.1.4 Unsportsmanlike foul If a defensive player causes contact with an opponent from behind or laterally in an attempt to stop a fast break and there is no opponent between the offensive player and the opponents’ basket, then the contact shall be judged to be unsportsmanlike.

The NBA's version (clear path) specifies that it applies from foul line to foul line. The FIBA rule does not. Maybe I'm being picky here. But if you take the new rule literally, a player on a fast break going for a layup who is fouled from behind (or laterally) could be charged with an unsportsmanlike foul.
Since I do FIBA rules, I think the important words are in blue bold. I don't recall fast break being defined in the rulebook, so the interp could be if the defender has a legitimate opportunity to play defense, then a non-UNS foul should be called. Otherwise, it's UNS.

On a quicker turnover, the new defense might be caught off guard and once ther're beat by that step or two, and they foul, it is UNS. But if they're trying to get back to play defense, and they do so in a reasonable way, then non-UNS.

Judgment call. I won't have a problem implementing this at all.
Old Fri Sep 12, 2008, 12:59am
Official Forum Member

Glad to see rule changes adopting the Fed/NCAA backcourt violation rules.

There are some changes to Technical and Unsportsmanlike fouls that, at first glance, seem overly tight - but ultimately they are judgement calls, and need not end up in a flood of unnecessary calls.
Old Fri Sep 12, 2008, 02:34am
Official Forum Member

Bloody good rule and pretty easy to administer. Cheers
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 10:05am
Lighten up, Francis.

I also heard that FIBA has decided to give an Unsportsmanlike Foul for distracting tactics, like yelling or clapping, behind the shooter when the defender makes no attempt to play defense. I kind of like that rule.
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
I also heard that FIBA has decided to give an Unsportsmanlike Foul for distracting tactics, like yelling or clapping, behind the shooter when the defender makes no attempt to play defense. I kind of like that rule.
That's a technical foul; an unsportsmanlike foul requires contact.

Ciao
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Too right, unsportsmanlike foul requires contact. I would warn first though then give a technical foul for distracting shooter at the free throw line and make sure both teams hear the warning. cheers
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICK
Too right, unsportsmanlike foul requires contact. I would warn first though then give a technical foul for distracting shooter at the free throw line and make sure both teams hear the warning. cheers
Right, if the act does not cause an evident disadvantage we should issue a warning, but only to the offending player's team. Just like for a delay of game, such as interfering with the ball after scoring a basket.

Ciao
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 06:48pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICK
I would warn first though then give a technical foul for distracting shooter at the free throw line and make sure both teams hear the warning. cheers
Sorry about using the wrong terminology. My understanding was that this call was not regarding free throws at all. It was regarding a defender who has been beat (like on a fast break) and can't make a play on the ball. So out of desperation, he or she yells at the shooter to distract him/her.

The ruling I heard was that if the shot is made, the game is stopped and a warning is issued to the player through the coach. If the shot is unsuccessful, immediate unsporting technical foul.

Is that correct?
Old Tue Sep 16, 2008, 05:45pm
Official Forum Member

An official warning is to be given when the game clock is stopped and the ball is dead. It should be communicated to the coach accordingly and shall apply to all members of the team for similiar actions for the remainder of the game.
Old Sun Nov 16, 2008, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Guys,

I brought up this question two months by saying that the rule did not seem to be specific enough. The people who responded here did not think there would be a problem.

Well the season has started. This weekend, there was a game where a turnover led to a clear path to the basket by Team A. Team B defender hustled and tried to block the lay up from behind and committted a foul. The official called a common shooting foul on Team B. Team A coach wants an unsportsmanlike foul because he says that's how they're calling it in his zone.

The official who made the call asked our provincial interpretor for clarification. Our Prov. int. says that it can be an unsportsmanlike foul because it falls under the definition of Rule 36.1.4. The interpretor from a neighbouring province has indicated on their website that once the act of shooting begins, revert to previous rule (in other words, only call UNS foul if the contact is excsssive etc...)

My point two months ago was that FIBA made a rule change with little guidance as to how to apply it. It is one of the frustrations of officiating wioth FIBA rules IMHO.
Old Sun Nov 16, 2008, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
Guys,

I brought up this question two months by saying that the rule did not seem to be specific enough. The people who responded here did not think there would be a problem.

Well the season has started. This weekend, there was a game where a turnover led to a clear path to the basket by Team A. Team B defender hustled and tried to block the lay up from behind and committted a foul. The official called a common shooting foul on Team B. Team A coach wants an unsportsmanlike foul because he says that's how they're calling it in his zone.

The official who made the call asked our provincial interpretor for clarification. Our Prov. int. says that it can be an unsportsmanlike foul because it falls under the definition of Rule 36.1.4. The interpretor from a neighbouring province has indicated on their website that once the act of shooting begins, revert to previous rule (in other words, only call UNS foul if the contact is excsssive etc...)

My point two months ago was that FIBA made a rule change with little guidance as to how to apply it. It is one of the frustrations of officiating with FIBA rules IMHO.
Our instructors pointed out from the beginning that a fastbreak ends when the act of shooting begins. Under this interpretation, the purpose of the rule is to penalize fouls made in order to stop too easily a fastbreak; when the shooting motion begins, the goal of the fastbreak has been reached.

It would have been better if FIBA had issued precise guidelines about this, I agree. Actually there are other grey zones. Someone says that the rule applies only to the ball carrier (I don't agree). Another question: when does the fastbreak really begins?

An example for the first case. A player steals the ball on the right side of their back court and, after starting a fast dribble, makes a long pass to the left side of the court where a teammate is running; a defender, from behind this player, tries to deflect the pass just as it is reaching them, but makes contact. There's no other defender from that point to the basket. This contact would normally be judged a legitimate action for playing the ball: must it be deemed unsportsmanlike in this case? I think so, others don't.

Ciao