View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 11, 2008, 11:36pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay R
For those of you who use FIBA rules, I'm interested in what you think of the new unsportsmanlike foul rule which is similar to the NBA's clear path foul.

First here is the rule as it is written:

Art. 36.1.4 Unsportsmanlike foul If a defensive player causes contact with an opponent from behind or laterally in an attempt to stop a fast break and there is no opponent between the offensive player and the opponents’ basket, then the contact shall be judged to be unsportsmanlike.

The NBA's version (clear path) specifies that it applies from foul line to foul line. The FIBA rule does not. Maybe I'm being picky here. But if you take the new rule literally, a player on a fast break going for a layup who is fouled from behind (or laterally) could be charged with an unsportsmanlike foul.
Since I do FIBA rules, I think the important words are in blue bold. I don't recall fast break being defined in the rulebook, so the interp could be if the defender has a legitimate opportunity to play defense, then a non-UNS foul should be called. Otherwise, it's UNS.

On a quicker turnover, the new defense might be caught off guard and once ther're beat by that step or two, and they foul, it is UNS. But if they're trying to get back to play defense, and they do so in a reasonable way, then non-UNS.

Judgment call. I won't have a problem implementing this at all.