The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 12, 2008, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

LGP Under the Basket?

I'm not aware that there's any restriction from obtaining LGP under the basket, is there? If defender B-1 is under the basket and A-1 releases a shot and subsequently charges into B-1, that's still a PC foul, right? NBA's a different story, but NFHS there's no difference. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old Wed Nov 12, 2008, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

No correction to be made.
Old Wed Nov 12, 2008, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

What about for NCAA?

I keep hearing commentators (I know, I know ) comment on how there was no foul called because the defender was underneath the basket.
Old Wed Nov 12, 2008, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

In OP, it says he released the shot and then charged. Does the basket count?
Old Wed Nov 12, 2008, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Bill View Post
Not under Fed rules.
Old Wed Nov 12, 2008, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If the shooter is still airborne when he charges into the defender, then it's a player control foul, wipe the basket.

If the shooter has landed before he charges into the defender, then at most it's a common foul, count the basket and possibly shoot bonus. More likely however, the ball has already passed through the basket and is dead, unless the foul is deemed intentional or flagrant, it is ignored.
Old Wed Nov 12, 2008, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In CCA-men, if the ball is released and player has not come back to the floor before the crash, the basket does count!

Last edited by jritchie; Wed Nov 12, 2008 at 11:00am.
Old Wed Nov 12, 2008, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
What about for NCAA?

I keep hearing commentators (I know, I know ) comment on how there was no foul called because the defender was underneath the basket.
Same as FED on taking a charge while under the basket. (NCAAW used to be different -- it was not LGP -- until a couple of years ago.)

Note that the NBA rule isn't as simple as "can't take a charge while in the dotted semi-circle."
Old Wed Nov 12, 2008, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
What about for NCAA?

There is a school of thought among some officials (and assignors?) that a defender directly under the basket cannot "play defense", and they are only there to draw the charge, therefore the officials will not penalize the offense for the contact. This was even spelled out in the NCAA-W rules, where if the defender was under the basket, and the offense was driving down the lane ("north-south"), then it was either a no-call on contact, or the defender was responsible for the contact, even if they were stationary. However, that same defender, in that same spot, could draw a charge if the drive intiated along the endline ("east-west"). The reason was given as above; on a north-south drive the offense almost always shoots, so the defender is just there to draw a foul. But on an "east-west" drive, the offense may also pass, so the defender is assumed to be playing defense against the pass as well as being in the path of the offense.

All this changed last season, and the rule in NCAA-W was replaced with language to the effect of "LGP can occur anywhere on the floor". So that defender under the basket can now draw a charge, no matter where they are standing and no matter where the offense started their path. I like this philosophy better, in that it takes away a level of judgement (was the defender far enough under the basket so that LGP doesn't matter?), and it takes away that possible "free shot" an offensive player might have on a defender who is occupying a legal spot on the floor.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Nov 12, 2008, 08:07pm
Official Forum Member

Here's the NFHS ruling

10.6.1 SITUATION C: B1 is standing behind the plane of the backboard before A1 jumps for a lay-up shot. The forward momentum causes airborne shooter A1 to charge into B1. RULING: B1 is entitled to the position obtained legally before A1 left the floor. If the ball goes through the basket before or after the contact occurs, the player-control foul cancels the goal. However, if B1 moves into the path of A1 after A1 has left the floor, the foul is on B1. B1's foul on the airborne shooter is a foul during the act of shooting. If the shot is successful, one free throw is awarded and if it is unsuccessful, two free throws result. (4-19-1, 6; 6-7-4; 10 Penalty 2, 5a)
Old Thu Nov 13, 2008, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jritchie View Post
In CCA-men, if the ball is released and player has not come back to the floor before the crash, the basket does count!
NCAA - Men No airborne shooter

FED - NCAA-Women Airborne Shooter exisits so this tends to be more common call however last year NCAAW specificall edited the rule book to remove the codicile that a player under the basket could only be charged with a blocking foul in such a situation.
Old Thu Nov 13, 2008, 02:44pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBBREF View Post
NCAA - Men No airborne shooter
This is a myth propagated by the NFHS and NCAA themselves, in the chart of differences between the two rulesets. There is an airborne shooter rule in NCAAM -- Rule 4-1, the very first definition.

The difference is that a common foul committed by an airborne shooter is not a player control foul under NCAAM rules.
Old Thu Nov 13, 2008, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
This is a myth propagated by the NFHS and NCAA themselves, in the chart of differences between the two rulesets. There is an airborne shooter rule in NCAAM -- Rule 4-1, the very first definition.

The difference is that a common foul committed by an airborne shooter is not a player control foul under NCAAM rules.
So...is the end result any different then from the myth?
Old Thu Nov 13, 2008, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
much better description.
Old Thu Nov 13, 2008, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
So...is the end result any different then from the myth?
Well, if there was no airborne shooter, then B1 could foul A1 after the shot is released, and before A1 lands, and it would have to be considered a common foul, not a shooting foul. But, because A1 is still an airborne shooter, they would still shoot FT(s).

Do I have that right, Scrappy?

(Used with permission.)