The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 13, 2008, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
That is very similar to an official waiting to see if contact put a player at a disadvantage before calling a foul. The foul still took place at the time of the contact, not when the official blew his whistle. In fact, if such a play happens late in an NCAA game with access to a courtside monitor the official will reset the clock to the time of the contact, not the time of the call.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sseltser View Post
By what rule?

NCAA 5-10
The game clock and shot clock, if running, shall be stopped when an
official:
Art. 1. Signals:
a. A foul.
b. A held ball.
c. A violation.
By this rule!

2-13-3 (c)
Determine whether a foul occurred before the reading of zeros on
the game clock at the end of the first half, or at the end of the second
half/extra period only when necessary to determine the outcome of a
game. When it is determined that the foul occurred before the reading of zeros on the game clock, the official is permitted to put the exact time back on the game clock as to when the foul was committed.
Old Thu Nov 13, 2008, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
If a player tosses the ball in the air, runs, then catches it then they never relinquished player control; and they lifted and reset their pivot foot, so it's a travel to me. That's the spirit of the rule, at least IMO.
4-12-1 . . . A player is in control of the ball when he/she is holding or dribbling a live ball inbounds.

Sorry, but if you don't consider the toss to be a dribble, then the action doesn't meet the definiton of player control.

If you do consider the toss to be a dribble, then there is player control, but a player cannot travel during a dribble!

Seems that your position is untenable.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Thu Nov 13, 2008 at 07:50pm.
Old Fri Nov 14, 2008, 08:14am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
4-12-1 . . . A player is in control of the ball when he/she is holding or dribbling a live ball inbounds.

Sorry, but if you don't consider the toss to be a dribble, then the action doesn't meet the definiton of player control.

If you do consider the toss to be a dribble, then there is player control, but a player cannot travel during a dribble!

Seems that your position is untenable.
I don't consider the toss to be a dribble as it never hit the court, referee, or opposing team's backboard. Remember I'm the one disagreed with your definition earlier that this was an illegal dribble. It's a travel.

If a player tosses the ball in the air and catches it then it is not a shot, pass, nor dribble. If a player stands in one spot and tosses the ball up in the air a few times are you can saying he used up his dribble?
Old Fri Nov 14, 2008, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I don't consider the toss to be a dribble as it never hit the court, referee, or opposing team's backboard. Remember I'm the one disagreed with your definition earlier that this was an illegal dribble. It's a travel.
How much do you know about the history of the game? Do you know what an air dribble was?
Old Fri Nov 14, 2008, 08:37pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
How much do you know about the history of the game? Do you know what an air dribble was?
Don't remember that one. But I don't doubt there was such an animal. Was it legal or illegal?

Last edited by Raymond; Fri Nov 14, 2008 at 08:48pm.
Old Fri Nov 14, 2008, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Made legal in 1892, but I don't know the exact year that it was taken out.

BTW dribbling on the floor wasn't legalized until 1898.

There is a good description of the air dribble on page 20 of the NFHS Basketball Handbook.

"But abuses became evident almost at once. Instead of bouncing the ball on the floor, clever players began to tap the ball upward and tapping it again as it came down in what later was called an "air dribble." Those adept at the trick would tap the ball only a few inches above their finger tips while advancing at full speed all the way into scoring position. There was usually no effective way of stopping this maneuver short of fouling. Soon there were rules limiting the dribble to one air dribble and preventing the resumption of any type of dribble once the player had ended his/her dribble by holding the ball in one or both hands."

The point is that this action has historically been considered a dribble. So that's why it is properly an illegal dribble violation. It pays to know your history.
Old Fri Nov 14, 2008, 09:58pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Those Who Forget History Are Doomed To Repeat It ...

Quote:
Instead of bouncing the ball on the floor, clever players began to tap the ball upward and tapping it again as it came down in what later was called an "air dribble." Those adept at the trick would tap the ball only a few inches above their finger tips while advancing at full speed all the way into scoring position. Dribbling on the floor wasn't legalized until 1898.
Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. spearheaded the effort to get this rule changed.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Nov 15, 2008, 01:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Because that is precisely what make this action an ILLEGAL dribble.
A LEGAL dribble is one that contacts the floor. That is part of the definiton of how to dribble. Since this ball didn't contact the floor, the player dribbled in an illegal manner. It's really that simple. Read rule 4-15-2 and you will see that this action violates one of the provisions of a DRIBBLE. On the contrary, there is no provision of the traveling rule which one can point to and correctly claim to have been violated by this action.

Also consult 4.15.4 Situation D part (a) and notice that the new Case Book ruling contradicts with this long standing Case Book play and is basically the same action.

BTW your 'lift the pivot foot and then start a dribble' situation does fall within the purview of "while holding the ball" and thus the guiding principle for traveling. The player lifted his pivot while holding the ball and certainly released the ball to begin a dribble while holding it. The violation takes place at that time. The official simply has to wait to confirm that the action of the player was indeed a dribble and not a pass. So the call by the official has to be delayed. That is very similar to an official waiting to see if contact put a player at a disadvantage before calling a foul. The foul still took place at the time of the contact, not when the official blew his whistle. In fact, if such a play happens late in an NCAA game with access to a courtside monitor the official will reset the clock to the time of the contact, not the time of the call.
New here, so just an opinion from the new guy:

Section 4-44 (traveling) pretty well describes many positions where the pivot foot cannot be lifted prior to starting a dribble. In the OP, if the ball hits the floor (close to the dribbler, or 15 feet away and over his opponent's head) before he lifts his pivot foot, it is a legal dribble. We therefore have to wait and see if his pass over the opponent's head is a pass to himself which he catches, i.e., traveling, or if he let's it hit the floor, and then resumes a legal dribble by batting it again to the floor...a legal dribble. I think that 4-44-articles 1-5 describe that well enough.....

From the new guy's humble opinion....Bishopcolle
Old Sat Nov 15, 2008, 01:32am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishopcolle View Post
...... the pivot foot cannot be lifted prior to starting a dribble. In the OP, if the ball hits the floor before he lifts his pivot foot, it is a legal dribble.

4-44-3c: The pivot foot may not be lifted before the ball is released to start a dribble.

When the ball hits the floor is not relevant.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Nov 15, 2008, 01:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishopcolle View Post
... if his pass over the opponent's head is a pass to himself which he catches,...
Nor can a player pass to himself, by definition.

4-31: "A pass is movement of the ball caused by a player who throws, bats or rolls the ball to another player."

As I already welcomed you in another thread, I'll just advise you now to stick around as we'll make you a lot better with the rules.

Old Sat Nov 15, 2008, 03:25am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
4-44-3c: The pivot foot may not be lifted before the ball is released to start a dribble.

Thank you.
Old Sat Nov 15, 2008, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post

Very true, and I totally agree....you are spot on, as they say....I guess what I meant to say is that when he releases the ball over the head of the opponent and THEN lifts his pivot foot, we need to see if the ball bounces and starts the dribble or if he catches it, making that a traveling violation....Good catch Just Another Ref!
Old Sat Nov 15, 2008, 11:12am
Do not give a damn!!

The bottom line is this is a way over thought issue. This is not something that is likely going to happen in the first place. This is not something that you will even see attempted. And trying to make an issue out of a very minor or unusual "conflict" is just futile. Then again, what else is new?

Even if you call a travel or do not call a travel in these situations, no one is going to know you got it right or wrong unless they really spend the time to look up a very unusual situation. We know (well not everyone here) that is not going to be from coaches. They think anything unusual is a traveling even when it is supported by rule (e.g. Jump Stops).

Peace