View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 11, 2008, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

SECTION 15 DRIBBLE
ART. 1 . . . A dribble is ball movement caused by a player in control who bats (intentionally strikes the ball with the hand(s)) or pushes the ball to the floor once or several times.

that is from the definitions and it is two years old I don't have the current book here to see but unless they have drastically changed this possibly added more that interpretation is in direct conflict with the definition of a dribble -

I would say that you have to have dribbled to have an illegal dribble since the definition requires you to push the ball to the floor you threw it up and over someone not allowing it to hit the floor I have a hard time calling an illegal dribble there, I would like to see some clarification and reason behind that interpretation.

ART. 3 . . . After coming to a stop and establishing a pivot foot:
a. The pivot foot may be lifted, but not returned to the floor, before the ball is released on a pass or try for goal.
b. If the player jumps, neither foot may be returned to the floor before the ball is released on a pass or try for goal.
c. The pivot foot may not be lifted before the ball is released, to start a dribble.

Above being from the definition of traveling and that pretty much describes the foot movement required for traveling which occured here so I am really confused.

Again this is from an older book but I do not recal major editorial changes to traveling the last couple of years.