The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 05, 2008, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

#55 Refresher

A-1"s pass is in flight to A-2 when A-3 and B-3 commit double personals. The official awards the ball back to team A nearest the spot the ball was located when the fouls occurred. Is the official correct??
I say yes, test says no..What am I missing?? Thanks
Old Wed Nov 05, 2008, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidMadness View Post
A-1"s pass is in flight to A-2 when A-3 and B-3 commit double personals. The official awards the ball back to team A nearest the spot the ball was located when the fouls occurred. Is the official correct??
Part of this depends on what is meant by "the spot the ball was located".

IF the test makers meant it as "the Ball Location" or "the spot the ball was last in contact with a person or the floor", then you are correct (in this example it goes to the spor of A1's pass).

IF the test makers meant "the spot directly under where the ball is physically when the whistle blows" then they are correct.
Old Wed Nov 05, 2008, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidMadness View Post
Think of it this way. I'm in the back court and throw a long pass to you in the front court. Ball is halfway between us and there's a double foul. Team control exists so we'll resume play w/ POI.

As for the throw-in spot, Rule 4-4 Art 3 states "A ball which is in flight retains the same location as when it was last in contact with a player or the court." so the throw-in spot will be the spot nearest to where I was when I relased my pass to you.

I would interpret the question to mean the official put the ball in play closest to where the ball itself was (in the air) when the fouls occurred. So then the correct answer is no, the ball would be placed nearest to the location of A1 when he/she released the pass.