The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 14, 2008, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Off refresher test

Double foul while A1 throw in is still in air. I know there is no team control on throw in in NFHS. however, seeing how the throw in wasn't legally over, instead of going to AP, would you give it back to team A , as throw in hadn't legally ended?? Thanks
Old Tue Oct 14, 2008, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

How do you resume after a double foul?

What does the POI definition say?

When does the throw-in end?
Old Tue Oct 14, 2008, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

Throw in

ends when legally touched by someone on floor...... POI for double foul, not AP , my bad, so instead of POI I am saying you would give it back to team A??
Old Tue Oct 14, 2008, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

I'm going AP.

4-36-c is a little confusing, though:

"An alternating-posession throw-in when neither team is in control and no goal, infraction, nor end of quarter/extra period is involved when the game is interrupted."
Old Tue Oct 14, 2008, 09:35am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidMadness View Post
[The throw in] ends when legally touched by someone on floor......
Exactly right.

Quote:
POI for double foul, not AP , my bad,
You always go to the POI after a double foul. And sometimes the POI is the arrow.

Quote:
so instead of POI I am saying you would give it back to team A??
You go to the POI, which is a throw-in for Team A because the interruption occured during a throw-in.
Old Tue Oct 14, 2008, 09:38am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
"An alternating-posession throw-in when neither team is in control and no goal, infraction, nor end of quarter/extra period is involved when the game is interrupted."
AP is incorrect in this scenario. You're looking at the wrong part of the definition. Part of the POI definition states that the POI is a throw-in when the interruption occurs during a throw-in.
Old Tue Oct 14, 2008, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
I'm going AP.

4-36-c is a little confusing, though:

SECTION 36 POINT OF INTERRUPTION
ART. 1 . . . Method of resuming play due to an official's accidental whistle, an interrupted game, as in 5-4-3, a correctable error, as in 2-10-6, a double personal, double technical or simultaneous foul, as in 4-19-8 and 4-19-10.
ART. 2…Play shall be resumed by:

a. A throw-in to the team that was in control at a spot nearest to where the ball was located when the stoppage occurred.
b. A free throw or a throw-in when the stoppage occurred during this activity or if a team is entitled to such.
c. An alternating-possession throw-in when the point of interruption is such that neither team is in control and no goal, infraction, nor end of quarter/extra period is involved.
Old Tue Oct 14, 2008, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

It can be a little confusing to look at all three options in 4-36-2 and try to figure out which one applies. I find it more helpful to think of them as an ordered list. Check 'em off one at a time; go with the first one that applies. Don't even consider the third option unless the first two don't cover the sitch.
Old Tue Oct 14, 2008, 03:09pm
Administrator

My two hundredths of a dollar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
It can be a little confusing to look at all three options in 4-36-2 and try to figure out which one applies. I find it more helpful to think of them as an ordered list. Check 'em off one at a time; go with the first one that applies. Don't even consider the third option unless the first two don't cover the sitch.

Wouldn't it be much easier like we did it in the old days and put the ball back into play with a jump ball after a double foul. We wouldn't need a Ph.D. in Engineering (I have a bachelor's degree in engineering with a double major) and I still think the rule is a mess.

MTD, Sr.

P.S. And no we were not restarting the game with a jump ball after every field goal when I started officiating.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Wed Oct 15, 2008 at 03:59pm.
Old Tue Oct 14, 2008, 06:46pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Wouldn't it be much easier like we did it in the old days and put the ball back into play with a jump ball after a double foul. . . I still think the rule is a mess.
What is really so hard about this rule? If the double foul happens:
  • during a free throw or throw-in, you resume with the free throw or throw-in;
  • after a foul or violation, then you resume by administering the penalty for the foul or violation;
  • while the ball's in play and there's team control, then you simply give a throw-in to the team in control;
  • when there is no team control, and there's no way to know who would've gotten the ball, then -- and only then -- you go to the arrow.
It's actually really simple. Just ask yourself, "What would've happened if the whistle had not blown?" If you answer that you don't know, then go to the arrow. Otherwise, just do what you were going to do next anyway.
Old Tue Oct 14, 2008, 07:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Wouldn't it be much easier like we did it in the old days and put the ball back into play with a jump ball after a double foul. We wouldn't need a Ph.D. in Engineering (I have a bachelor's degree in engineering with a double major) and I still think the rule is a mess.

MTD, Sr.

P.S. And no we were restarting the game with a jump ball after every field goal when I started officiating.
Yeah I agree. In fact that is the NBA rule

It just seems like this and many other rules are so botched with complexity that its not really needed. IMO
Old Tue Oct 14, 2008, 09:38pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
  • after a foul or violation, then you resume by administering the penalty for the foul or violation;
  • while the ball's in play and there's team control, then you simply give a throw-in to the team in control;
  • when there is no team control, and there's no way to know who would've gotten the ball, then -- and only then -- you go to the arrow.
It's actually really simple. Just ask yourself, "What would've happened if the whistle had not blown?" If you answer that you don't know, then go to the arrow. Otherwise, just do what you were going to do next anyway.
Bingo!
This isn't rocket surgery, and it doesn't take a brain scientist to figure it out.
Old Tue Oct 14, 2008, 09:46pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post

Scrapper:

Look how many different situations we would eliminate from the rules if we just went to a jump ball; we would not have so many rules in the book that cause such stupid rulings.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Oct 14, 2008, 10:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I Heard That You Gave Dr. Naismith His First Technical Foul ...

Quote:
And no we were restarting the game with a jump ball after every field goal when I started officiating.
What did you do with the ball after you got it out of the peach basket?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Oct 14, 2008, 10:10pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Heads I Win, Tails You Lose ...

Quote:
Look how many different situations we would eliminate from the rules if we just went to a jump ball; we would not have so many rules in the book that cause such stupid rulings.
No way. Don't you remember doing junior high school girls games with dozens of jump balls?

I'd prefer to keep the rules regarding jump balls just the way they are, with just two minor changes. I would eliminate the jump that starts the game, and I would eliminate the jump ball that starts each overtime period.

Let's flip a coin like they do in football, and soccer. I'll bring the coin.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)