The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 04, 2008, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

Practical Advice

Any of you veterans out there have any practical advice for a rookie? These may seem obvious for veterans, but not so obvious for a new guy.

For example, a couple things I picked up already:

- Have a needle with you for pregame in case you need to let air out of the game ball.

- Tuck your whistle in your shirt when not on the court - keeps people from grabbing you by the lanyard, and ensures that your whistle doesn't get splatter when standing at the urinal.

- Wear black compression shorts under your pants in so it won't be so obvious if your pants rip.

What are some other "good to keep in mind" things?
Old Wed Nov 05, 2008, 12:48am
Official Forum Member

Slow down.

Slow down some more.

Then slow down a little more still.
Old Wed Nov 05, 2008, 01:44am
M.A.S.H.

Study!!

Work on something every game...and work as many games as possible.

Watch officials at the higher levels and get some ideas on what they are doing. If you don't understand, ask.

Learn from your mistakes. I'm sure I made a ton of them, but I tried to learn and not make the same mistake twice.

And yes, slow down.

Where in Illinois are you located?
Old Wed Nov 05, 2008, 02:29am
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS View Post
Have a needle with you for pregame in case you need to let air out of the game ball.
I have never done this in 13 years and have never felt the need to.

Quote:
Tuck your whistle in your shirt when not on the court - keeps people from grabbing you by the lanyard, and ensures that your whistle doesn't get splatter when standing at the urinal.
No one is going to grab you by your lanyard. Maybe on the urinal thing, but I have my whistle in my pocket at that point.

Quote:
Wear black compression shorts under your pants in so it won't be so obvious if your pants rip.
OK - this is a good one.

Quote:
What are some other "good to keep in mind" things?
- Listen more than you talk

- Realize that you are not as good as you think you are

- KNOW the rules

- Go with your first instinct and you'll probably be right -- blow the whistle!
Old Wed Nov 05, 2008, 03:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post

No one is going to grab you by your lanyard. Maybe on the urinal thing, but I have my whistle in my pocket at that point.
Regarding the needle, I do carry one in my jacket pocket and have used it.

Agreed on the lanyard.
Old Wed Nov 05, 2008, 07:36am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post

OK - this is a good one.

- Listen more than you talk

- Realize that you are not as good as you think you are

- KNOW the rules

- Go with your first instinct and you'll probably be right -- blow the whistle!
This is the same thing I was thinking.
Old Wed Nov 05, 2008, 08:34am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Regarding the needle, I do carry one in my jacket pocket and have used it.

Agreed on the lanyard.
My partner for years has given me grief for not carrying a needle. If we need air out of the game ball, I just throw it across the court to him while I continue with the book, scorers, timer, etc.

If I'm working with someone else, I just get a different basketball.
Old Wed Nov 05, 2008, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Put an extra uniform in your car / bag. Someday you (or your partner) will forget something and be glad you have the back-up.

Carry a small first aid kit and a sewing kit

Even if you don't need to, pee before the game and at half-time.

Say "please" and "thank-you" to the event staff and table.

Know more than one way to get to the game site. Be early enough so that if you're late, you're on time.

Pick three things to work on. Work on them in every game. When you've got one (or more) down, remove it from the list and add another. You can't fix everything at once.

Just because you see a varsity official "doing something wrong" doesn't mean that you shouldn't try to "do it correctly."
Old Wed Nov 05, 2008, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

when wear and tear begin to creep up on you, or days with multiple games, or you have a bad knee, ankle ..... it's always nice to have some ibuprofen in the bag. I have a bad knee and find that if I take an ibuprofen before going out on the court that I have far less problems then if I take it after the game or have to wait until I get home.
Old Wed Nov 05, 2008, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Carry your rulebook and casebook with you. If something odd happens you're not sure about, you can look it up at halftime or after the game.

If you think there's a chance someone's going to grab your lanyard when you leave the court, take it off and put it in your pocket. If you tuck it in your shirt, someone could still grab it.

Definitely carry two of everything as someone else said, including whistles and lanyards.

I always make sure I have my partner(s)' cell number in my phone when I go to the game in case they're running late and I need to find out where they are.

Keep things like shampoo, shoe polish, etc in a diff part of your bag where it can't get on your uni if the bottle explodes.
Old Wed Nov 05, 2008, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Practice making our signals in front of a big mirror, make sure you do it where nobody can see you, my daughter caught me a couple of years ago and gave me the gone crazy look. If you blow your whistle in a situation that you've never been in before (a flagrant foul for example)BEFORE you go to the table to ring it up, go over what you're going to say at the table with a senior partner. Buy a cheap oven timer and when you walk off the court at half time, look at the clock and then immediatly set the timer so you come back out on the court in a timely manner. Set this timer on the table so all the officials in the room can see it, it is not uncommon to get talking about the game or plays and find out you're late! The timer has been very helpful in areas where the official's room is out of sight of the clock or gym. Put a wadded up papertowel in your official coat pockets so when you shake hands with the team captains and coaches at the beginning of the game you don't have a clammy hand during the handshake, reach in and squeeze this right before handshake. I have also used this to wipe minor sweat off the court before game and at the half. Watch yourself on video, practice counting with the microwave, try it with your eyes closed too. Carry an extra whistle and socks in your bag. Bring water. Keep chapstick in your pants pocket, I seem to need it about twice a game--for my lips! Surf this forum on a regular basis and don't ever hint on this forum that girls basketball is not the same as boys!
Old Wed Nov 05, 2008, 11:48am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudwhistle View Post
........ don't ever hint on this forum that girls basketball is not the same as boys!
But, uh, well...........they're not the same.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Nov 05, 2008, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudwhistle View Post
Practice making our signals in front of a big mirror, make sure you do it where nobody can see you, my daughter caught me a couple of years ago and gave me the gone crazy look. If you blow your whistle in a situation that you've never been in before (a flagrant foul for example)BEFORE you go to the table to ring it up, go over what you're going to say at the table with a senior partner. Buy a cheap oven timer and when you walk off the court at half time, look at the clock and then immediatly set the timer so you come back out on the court in a timely manner. Set this timer on the table so all the officials in the room can see it, it is not uncommon to get talking about the game or plays and find out you're late! The timer has been very helpful in areas where the official's room is out of sight of the clock or gym. Put a wadded up papertowel in your official coat pockets so when you shake hands with the team captains and coaches at the beginning of the game you don't have a clammy hand during the handshake, reach in and squeeze this right before handshake. I have also used this to wipe minor sweat off the court before game and at the half. Watch yourself on video, practice counting with the microwave, try it with your eyes closed too. Carry an extra whistle and socks in your bag. Bring water. Keep chapstick in your pants pocket, I seem to need it about twice a game--for my lips! Surf this forum on a regular basis and don't ever hint on this forum that girls basketball is not the same as boys!
Great advice! I will add that from personal experience I've found that it is so helpful early in an officiating career to attend clinics in the summers. You will learn good habits and then, later on, won't have to unlearn the bad habits you might pick up. Watch good officials work at much as possible.

-Josh
Old Wed Nov 05, 2008, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

I just want to add to everyone's advice:

Have fun.

If you're doing this to make money, it will quickly become a chore. You can, however, make new friendships with your partners; you can get out of the house for some exercise; you can stand out on the floor during a game and think to yourself, "Wow, this really IS the best seat in the house!". Whatever it takes to allow yourself to enjoy the whole process, will help you not only get past some of the short-term bumps (bad games, bad partners, bad coaches), but help contribute to making officiating a lifetime avocation.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Nov 05, 2008, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
But, uh, well...........they're not the same.
What?!? Are you saying girls are different than boys?!?

Rabble-rouser.

(Used with permission.)