View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 05, 2008, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudwhistle View Post
Practice making our signals in front of a big mirror, make sure you do it where nobody can see you, my daughter caught me a couple of years ago and gave me the gone crazy look. If you blow your whistle in a situation that you've never been in before (a flagrant foul for example)BEFORE you go to the table to ring it up, go over what you're going to say at the table with a senior partner. Buy a cheap oven timer and when you walk off the court at half time, look at the clock and then immediatly set the timer so you come back out on the court in a timely manner. Set this timer on the table so all the officials in the room can see it, it is not uncommon to get talking about the game or plays and find out you're late! The timer has been very helpful in areas where the official's room is out of sight of the clock or gym. Put a wadded up papertowel in your official coat pockets so when you shake hands with the team captains and coaches at the beginning of the game you don't have a clammy hand during the handshake, reach in and squeeze this right before handshake. I have also used this to wipe minor sweat off the court before game and at the half. Watch yourself on video, practice counting with the microwave, try it with your eyes closed too. Carry an extra whistle and socks in your bag. Bring water. Keep chapstick in your pants pocket, I seem to need it about twice a game--for my lips! Surf this forum on a regular basis and don't ever hint on this forum that girls basketball is not the same as boys!
Great advice! I will add that from personal experience I've found that it is so helpful early in an officiating career to attend clinics in the summers. You will learn good habits and then, later on, won't have to unlearn the bad habits you might pick up. Watch good officials work at much as possible.

-Josh