The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 23, 2002, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I haven't gotten to see a lot of the NCAA tourney, so I have read the threads below about various call with interest, but no opinion. Now I am wondering about a call I saw today in Kent State vs Indiana. It was at 9:17 to go in the second half. The collision happened about around mid-court, where a Kent State player on defense nailed an IU screen. The1 call went against IU. From the TV point of view it looked like a very bad call, but I know that this isn't always the most helpful perspective. Does anyone have any wisdom to shed on this play? It made no difference in the game overall, but it got the IU player into foul trouble.

As a side note, it was interesting to me that this same IU player (Fife?) committed a very stupid foul near the end of the game, and was benched, but was still chosen as the player of the game by Chevy. Who makes these decisions? Why wasn't Coverdale picked, who hit like three 3's in the first quarter, and scored more points than Fife?

Third question, even if Oregon beats Kansas, and then whoever, would they have a chance against IU? 82% 3-point shooting?!?!? Unbelieveable!!!
Old Sat Mar 23, 2002, 11:57pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
I hate to say this because I am a Purdue Boilermaker but, if Indiana continues to shoot like they are capeable (and they are very capeable to keep shooting 70-80% on 3's) they are unbeatable. I kinda hope that IU does win the whole thing because I would like the BIg Ten to get some of its respect back. The Big Ten need this more than any other conference and Mike Davis has his ball club ready to beat anyone.
Old Sat Mar 23, 2002, 11:59pm
Official Forum Member

I didn't see the play but the player in question has been known to flop. As for the third question, it is a moot point, Kansas will win.
Old Sun Mar 24, 2002, 01:13am
Official Forum Member

I saw the play but it happened so qucikly and I was watching the screener, that I don't know if it was coirrect or not. Did they show a replay?
Old Sun Mar 24, 2002, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

While this is not a popular stance to take (so you may take your shots) I do have to say that I was very disappointed with the officiating in this game. I know that they are MUCH higher than I am in the refereeing world, I know about angles, I know about interpretations of a situations, and that you should not criticize your fellow refs but... There were outright muggings that were not called. Yes, I know that both teams were in double bonus. Walking, how many they let go I could not count I’m not talking about drives to the basket either but the ones out in the open that were not called. How many times the ball was completely under the ball on a cut/change in direction I could not count. How many times...

I know that I look at a game differently than a fan because I use it as a learning tool to better my skills. This is one game that I’ll tape over so not to cloud my understanding.

BTW, the closes tie I have to either school is that my oldest son teaches at Miami University in Ohio. Not close at all.

[Edited by RecRef on Mar 24th, 2002 at 09:22 AM]
Old Sun Mar 24, 2002, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
I didn't see the play but the player in question has been known to flop. As for the third question, it is a moot point, Kansas will win.
1:30 pm Sun aft -- Of course, you were right. I knew that too, but my husband insisted they had a chance so out of deference to him, I was leaving open the possibility.

Does Kansas have a chance against IU?

Tony --

The replay made it look even more like a bad call. Also, the center who was well down court, called instead of the trail. Was that appropriate? I'm not really criticizing, since I've only done two days worth of 3-whistle, and I'm NOT clear about the various responsibilities. It just didn't look like the sort of situation that will be on a How-To video.
Old Sun Mar 24, 2002, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

The center should be even with the ball when in transition. The Center is responsible for the action in the Mid court area from sideline to sideline. So, it sounds like it was his call, but as you described the center might have been out of position. Now, as to your Kansas vs IU. The question is, does IU have a chance against OU? I don't think so.
Old Sun Mar 24, 2002, 09:08pm
Esteemed Participant

I watched the game and saw the play...the original contact on the screen was being passed on, but then Fife (Indiana) reached out and grabbed the Kent St player and held on as he was falling down...the C official - who was quite a ways down the court - came back up and called holding on Fife... could have called a foul on Kent St on the initial contact, but couldn't let Fife's pulling the player down go...and after the Oregon/Kansas game and the Maryland/UConn game, I'm looking forward to Kansas v. Maryland next Saturday...
Old Mon Mar 25, 2002, 02:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
I watched the game and saw the play...the original contact on the screen was being passed on, but then Fife (Indiana) reached out and grabbed the Kent St player and held on as he was falling down...the C official - who was quite a ways down the court - came back up and called holding on Fife... could have called a foul on Kent St on the initial contact, but couldn't let Fife's pulling the player down go.
Thanks. This is the kind of answer I was looking for. I didn't notice the hold. It just goes to show, the TV angle, (and the commentary) don't give the best picture.
Old Mon Mar 25, 2002, 07:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Third question, even if Oregon beats Kansas, and then whoever, would they have a chance against IU? 82% 3-point shooting?!?!? Unbelieveable!!! [/B]
I'll bet you a donut that IU won't shoot better than 50% from 3 land in the coming contest. :-)
Old Mon Mar 25, 2002, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Slider
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Third question, even if Oregon beats Kansas, and then whoever, would they have a chance against IU? 82% 3-point shooting?!?!? Unbelieveable!!!
I'll bet you a donut that IU won't shoot better than 50% from 3 land in the coming contest. :-) [/B]
And if I win, you'llwhat...post it?!
...e-mail it?!
...fax it?!
...ship it?!?
Old Mon Mar 25, 2002, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

I'll bet you a donut that IU won't shoot better than 50% from 3 land in the coming contest. :-) [/B][/QUOTE]

And if I win, you'llwhat...post it?!
...e-mail it?!
...fax it?!
...ship it?!? [/B][/QUOTE]

Julie,
make sure you specify krispy kreme
Did you get my e-mail and did it answer your question?
Old Mon Mar 25, 2002, 06:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rcwilco
make sure you specify krispy kreme...

Did you get my e-mail and did it answer your question?
Do Krispy Kreme hold up well over the Internet? How about UPS?

Yes got your e-mail. I haven't tried the number yet, but will get around to it eventually, hopefully before pigs fly!

Thanks!!
Old Mon Mar 25, 2002, 07:42pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Do Krispy Kreme hold up well over the Internet? How about UPS?

Yes got your e-mail. I haven't tried the number yet, but will get around to it eventually, hopefully before pigs fly!

Thanks!! [/B][/QUOTE]

yes they hold up well over the internet, just print them and add water. If the tapes are no longer available I will let you borrow some of mine to try them out.