The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 03, 2008, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

Two travel related questions

At our association's meeting last night, there was some discussion about players on the floor and traveling. We use FIBA rules but I am curious what people have to say regarding these situations and Federation rules etc....

1. The ball is on the floor and a player gets down on one knee while keeping his other foot on the floor and he picks up the basketball and lifts his knee to stand up. Do you agree that he did not travel because he had a pivot foot?

2. A player is lying flat on his stomach and picks up a loose ball. The player then gets to his knees but does not get up completely. Is this a travel?
Old Mon Nov 03, 2008, 06:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
At our association's meeting last night, there was some discussion about players on the floor and traveling. We use FIBA rules but I am curious what people have to say regarding these situations and Federation rules etc....

1. The ball is on the floor and a player gets down on one knee while keeping his other foot on the floor and he picks up the basketball and lifts his knee to stand up. Do you agree that he did not travel because he had a pivot foot?

2. A player is lying flat on his stomach and picks up a loose ball. The player then gets to his knees but does not get up completely. Is this a travel?
Both are travels under NFHS rules.
Old Mon Nov 03, 2008, 06:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay R View Post

1. In the instructional video for the new rules a situation showed a player who went for the ball and had both feet on the floor, but also the arms. He tried to stand without dribbling: traveling. I guess it's the same in your situation; there's no concept of pivot foot for a fallen player.

2. 25.2.3 states that it is a violation if the fallen player attempts to stand up while holding the ball. Getting to the knees is attempting to stand up.

Ciao
Old Mon Nov 03, 2008, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS RULE
Rule 4, Section 44

ART. 5 . . .
A player holding the ball:
a. May not touch the floor with a knee or any other part of the body other than hand or foot.
b. After gaining control while on the floor and touching with other than hand or foot, may not attempt to get up or stand.

In your first situation, the player has clearly gained control while touching the floor with something other than a hand or foot, namely his knee. Therefore, he may not attempt to get up or stand.

In your second situation, going from one's stomach to one's knees is considered an attempt to get up. The player is only permitted to sit up after gaining control of the ball while lying on his back on the floor.

Old Mon Nov 03, 2008, 08:53pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
The player is only permitted to sit up after gaining control of the ball while lying on his back on the floor.
Of course, you're correct here. However, I thought I'd just throw this out at everyone. What other actions besides sitting up can the player do in this situation that are legal according to NF rules? I can think of at least four.
Old Mon Nov 03, 2008, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Of course, you're correct here. However, I thought I'd just throw this out at everyone. What other actions besides sitting up can the player do in this situation that are legal according to NF rules? I can think of at least four.
Begin a dribble, pass, shoot, callrequest time out?

Purchase a traveling rider to his foul insurance?
Old Mon Nov 03, 2008, 09:36pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
Careful. This is clearly off-topic and dangerously close to a joke. This is now the NFF -- No Fun Forum.
Old Mon Nov 03, 2008, 09:37pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by back in the saddle View Post
begin a dribble, pass, shoot, callrequest time out?

rotflol
Old Mon Nov 03, 2008, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
Careful. This is clearly off-topic and dangerously close to a joke. This is now the NFF -- No Fun Forum.
Believe me, I had no fun when I typed that. Zero fun.

Last edited by Back In The Saddle; Mon Nov 03, 2008 at 09:49pm.
Old Mon Nov 03, 2008, 10:08pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Believe me, I had no fun when I typed that. Zero fun.
Well in that case....
Old Mon Nov 03, 2008, 11:35pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

Quote:
Begin a dribble, pass, shoot, callrequest time out?

Good job, BITS. Ya' got all five.