The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 30, 2008, 12:13am
Official Forum Member

Yikes

I don't think I'd ever call that on a defender. Obstructing the field of vision??? Now you can't put a hand in the face...Jeekies.

The one I hate the most is the disconcertion of the dribbler/passer in mostly 7th/8th grade girls. Girls though....seems to always be girls for some reason. The defender runs up on the girl with the ball and starts screaming as loud as possible "BALL,BALL,BALL,BALL....". After about four or five trips down the floor I'm hoping the girl she's defending never touches the ball again.
Old Sun Nov 30, 2008, 06:14am
Official Forum Member

It is more like a SHO-O-O-O-OT an it is a long shout that way so the defender makes sure he doen't miss to be shouting exactly at the time of the shot.
Old Sun Nov 30, 2008, 12:46pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianH View Post
I am quite happy to overlook if a defender B5 who is away from the shooter A1 shouts 'shot' or 'help' even if this is done right at the time of shooting providing not too loudly and again the defender is not too close to the shooter...

However what I see in the local league and some national division 3 games is a man-on-man defence when the defender B1 yells SHOAAAAAAAT in the face of the shooter A1 spiting that nice and warm slobber at the shooter's face right at the time of shooting.

Would like to see your views guys.
If he spits on him on purpose, I'll call it. If he's just yelling "shot," I'm not calling it. I'm not officiating golf.
Old Sun Nov 30, 2008, 12:49pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by derwil View Post
I don't think I'd ever call that on a defender. Obstructing the field of vision??? Now you can't put a hand in the face...Jeekies.
Careful, rule 10-3-7d has been there for a long time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by derwil View Post
The one I hate the most is the disconcertion of the dribbler/passer in mostly 7th/8th grade girls. Girls though....seems to always be girls for some reason. The defender runs up on the girl with the ball and starts screaming as loud as possible "BALL,BALL,BALL,BALL....". After about four or five trips down the floor I'm hoping the girl she's defending never touches the ball again.
Annoying as hell, but not illegal.
Old Sun Nov 30, 2008, 12:58pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Miss Annoying Ball Ball Ball Ball Ball Girl ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Annoying as hell, but not illegal.
Amen.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Dec 01, 2008, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

This is a quick reply to the ball, ball, ball, post.

I wonder what this yelling in someone's ear has to do with fair play, sportsmanship.

I do not remember if I ever called it or will call it if it happens this year (I do think it is unsporting)

Ron
Old Mon Dec 01, 2008, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald View Post

I wonder what this yelling in someone's ear has to do with fair play, sportsmanship.

I do not remember if I ever called it or will call it if it happens this year (I do think it is unsporting)
Ron
Why?

I call it communication. The more they yell, the less I have to.
Old Mon Dec 01, 2008, 03:06pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald View Post

Ron
How is it unsporting? The idea is it's yelling to their teammates to communicate what's happening with the ball.
Old Mon Dec 01, 2008, 05:12pm
In Memoriam

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
How is it unsporting? The idea is it's yelling to their teammates to communicate what's happening with the ball.
Perhaps I am missing the picture of yelling in someone's ear.

Seems to me that such action would put the player in close enough proximity to make a basketball play.
If the player, that close, does not attempt a basketball play, then why is *yelling in an opponents ear* not unsporting ?