The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 20, 2008, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

Any suggestions?

As lead,I prefer to get off the baseline as far as possible, my vision is better, I see my primary better. That said, if in close, one of my tough calls is always the quick tip, bang bang, deflected pass, OOB. Any Zen like suggestions on digesting these? Should I slow down? I typically make a decisive quick call, which in reality ain't so decisive, yet I don't want to stand there pondering my decision.
Old Mon Oct 20, 2008, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

I try to take my time on these, My process, Hand up, blow whistle, think to myself what do I have? If I don't know what I have, look at my partner(s). If they got nothing, I have a AP. It may feel like your going slow, but time feels longer then it really is. When I make the call, strong voice, strong signal, confident.
Old Mon Oct 20, 2008, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

it's exactly as you stated... bang bang, but always remember you don't have to point as soon as you speak all the time. Sometimes you can just say the color but it is weird how we process these plays in our mind and our mind has to be programmed to do something unnatural whether you know it or not. Our mind is deciphering who the ball last goes off of and then has to flip that around and our mouths have to state whos ball it is. Get what I'm saying? IOW, your mind is saying "off blue" and your mouth has to say "white ball". So in those rare instances just react and blow the whistle and say "off blue" with your mouth if it is that hard for you to indicate right away whos ball it is at this point in time of your career, then eventually you need to get re-programmed to work it out in your head so you don't say "off blue" out loud anymore.
Old Mon Oct 20, 2008, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Slowing down is your friend. Whistle, put your hand up, that buys you time. Replay it in your mind. Then say the color, then point. If, after replaying it in your mind, you still need help, I think you have four choices...

1) Turn to your partner. Unless the tips happen in a dual coverage area, however, he may have nothing for you.

In which case you're on to your next option...

2) Go with your gut. It would be rare to look at that play and have an exact 50/50 split in your own mind about who touched it last. Play the odds.
3) Go with the status quo. If a near simultaneous tip was the best the defense could do, don't reward them by sending it the other way.
4) Go to the arrow. If the tips are simultaneous, and I've had it happen once, this is the right answer. Otherwise, IMHO this is the least desirable outcome, because everybody else in the gym will have an opinion about who "obviously" touched it last and going to the arrow will seem like a cop out and probably lose you some credibility points.
Old Mon Oct 20, 2008, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

All good answers.................especially #3. Like a championship prize fight, a draw goes to the champ, you gotta beat him.

I typically go with my gut if I'm not 100%. Obviously, If I happen to be screened, straightlined, I always tweet, raise arm, and keep it there, looking to partners for help.
Old Mon Oct 20, 2008, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
All good answers.................especially #3. Like a championship prize fight, a draw goes to the champ, you gotta beat him.

I typically go with my gut if I'm not 100%. Obviously, If I happen to be screened, straightlined, I always tweet, raise arm, and keep it there, looking to partners for help.
I put them in the order that I prefer to use them. Like you, I prefer my gut reaction over resorting to any method that does not at least attempt to utilize the judgment I'm being paid to render.
Old Mon Oct 20, 2008, 10:14pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Ever Call Right Color, Wrong Direction ???

From my pregame:

Out-Of-Bounds Help
For out-of-bounds help, let's get it right. Come together for a change if needed. If I have no idea and I look to you for help, just give a directional signal. No need to come to me. Just point. If I signal but I get it wrong, then blow the whistle and come to me. Tell me what you saw and let me decide if I’m going to change it.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)