The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 31, 2004, 08:52am
Veteran College Umpire

Question

Does anyone have any suggestions for changes to the NFHS Umpire's Manual? They're getting ready to go to print (as they do every two years) and this would be a good time to offer suggestions. Thanks!
Old Tue Aug 31, 2004, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

If they're getting ready to go to print, it's too late for suggestions.
Old Tue Aug 31, 2004, 12:36pm
Veteran College Umpire

They are ORGANIZING the information before going to press, and I've been asked for suggestions. I'm forwarding the question to this board hoping for some good answers. Now, Garth (and everyone else), do you have any suggestions for the NFHS Umpire's Manual?
Old Tue Aug 31, 2004, 12:43pm

Yes -

They can take the level 1 and 2 IHSA umpires mechanics from our certfied clinics and print those. You already have them, so this should take a few minutes.

Want to save a lot of time? Post it online as a PDF and then we can download it instead of having another book to get lost in out trunks. The IHSA system is still the best one around. Yes, it has flaws, but it is still better than a lot of things I've seen for high school ball.
Old Tue Aug 31, 2004, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

You Bet

Adopt the CCA mechanics, (the official NCAA mechanics) completely. I believe Oregon used them exclusively this year.

Imagine, we could have identical and consistent mechanics from high school through college.
Old Tue Aug 31, 2004, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

Yep,

As a pilot program most of Oregon this year worked CCA mechanics. As of next year the entire state will be required to use that mechanic set.

The National Federation of High Schools is actively involved with us in seeing if these mechanics can be used Nationwide.

Now I have never seen the mechanics referenced by Windy, I would venture to guess they are better than the normal Fed mechannics, so I will stick with the concept that coordinating college and Fed mechanics would be a big help.

Recognize a key issue here:

As long as Kyle McNeely is involved in the Federation rules and mechanics group the changes that are made will be fully tested and be what is best for all the different levels of ability carried by FED umpires.

The biggest challenge in working the CCA manual is that the umpires for which the book is written are expected to be:

1) In shape and,

2) Understand many of the subtlties of the game and always being ahead of the play.

These are challenges for some of the people that work FEDlandia.

Tee
Old Tue Aug 31, 2004, 07:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JJ
Does anyone have any suggestions for changes to the NFHS Umpire's Manual? They're getting ready to go to print (as they do every two years) and this would be a good time to offer suggestions. Thanks!
Yes!

The NFHS umpire has always advocated that the PU take the batter-runner into 3rd base, not the BU.

I don't know an umpire in the world that does that, yet, it's in the book.

Somehow I doubt they are taking any suggestions.

David Emerling
Memphis, TN
Old Tue Aug 31, 2004, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

The biggest challenge in working the CCA manual is that the umpires for which the book is written are expected to be:

1) In shape and,

2) Understand many of the subtlties of the game and always being ahead of the play.

What are some major differences from the CCA mechanics as opposed to what the FED recommends? Thanks
Old Wed Sep 01, 2004, 01:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by David Emerling
Quote:
Originally posted by JJ
Yes!

The NFHS umpire has always advocated that the PU take the batter-runner into 3rd base, not the BU.

I don't know an umpire in the world that does that, yet, it's in the book.

Somehow I doubt they are taking any suggestions.

David Emerling
Memphis, TN
We give our PU's the option, and many of our PU's will take the BR to third. Especially if the BU gets handcuffed with a trouble ball or a ball hit down the RF line.

Just makes it easier for the BU and PU is already there.

So, it might not be standard, but it can work.

Thanks
David
Old Wed Sep 01, 2004, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Assuming no trouble ball you mean to tell me that you can't take BR all the way around for a play at third? If you read the play there should be no porblem for FU to be in the proper postion to make a call. If I'm the FU (again assuming no trouble ball) I want PU to stay home I can handle this play with no problem.
Old Wed Sep 01, 2004, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Not quite sure

Quote:
Originally posted by gordon30307
Assuming no trouble ball you mean to tell me that you can't take BR all the way around for a play at third? If you read the play there should be no porblem for FU to be in the proper postion to make a call. If I'm the FU (again assuming no trouble ball) I want PU to stay home I can handle this play with no problem.
I didn't say that BU cannot take the play to third. Of course I can/he can.

But we give them the option because we want our PU's active, gives them something to do. (g)

No really one of the reasons is that there might be a rundown situation and it helps BU if there is a play at 2B. (and this doesn't happen often), but it gets the PU moving to 3rd so its the same play as if there is a R1.

Cannot stand when PU is standing around picking up bats. (g)

Thanks
David
Old Wed Sep 01, 2004, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

I agree. In this situation when I'm PU I get out from behind the plate observe the play kind of stay close to 3b line in case I'm needed. But I also make sure I'm close to the plate in the event of an overthrow etc.
Old Wed Sep 01, 2004, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

it would be nice if OBR and FED interpretations were the same. For example, balk in FED--dead ball immediately, OBR we maintain live. Doing HS and legion games in summer, I have to be deligent to interpret based on these and other differences.

I understand why FED allows, for example, reentry for there starters. You will never see this in OBR. The point is that there will always be differences.

One thing I would like to see changed in OBR, at least at the major league level, would be the collisions at the plate. Catchers do not deserve this. The other day in the Cards game when Molina was leveled, there was no need for this. Young kids see this and want to try and do it doing HS or legion, only to be dumped from the game.
Old Wed Sep 01, 2004, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by scyguy
it would be nice if OBR and FED interpretations were the same.
JJ was asking for input on the Umpire's Manual -- (generally) the mechanics.

You provided input on suggested rules changes. There's already a process in place for suggesting rules / interp changes -- contact your state association.

Good luck.
Old Wed Sep 01, 2004, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

you are right Bob. However, even rule interpretations will not change unless the NFHS sees the need. What good will speaking to my state association do? Missouri is not going to change a rule unless directed by the NFHS.

Again, thank you for the suggestion