The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 19, 2008, 07:18pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Why Does A 24/7 Store Have Doors With Locks If It's Never Closed ???

I wanted to followup on a thread started by Scrapper1 on Wednesday, October 8, 2008, at 9:09pm, but found the thread closed.

It took me all week to find enough time to research Scrapper's "unannounced" change. BktBallRef, and Nevadaref, were correct, it was announced, as an editorial change, it just wasn't "publicized", and I agree with Scrapper1 that it was an important change that should have gotten more publicity. In my research, I came up with the old rules regarding resumption of play, and the new rules, for comparison. Here's what I came up with:

NFHS 2006-07: 4-38-1: The resumption-of-play procedure is used to prevent delay in putting the ball in play following a time-out or intermission as in 7-5-1 and 8-1-2. The procedure results in a violation instead of a technical foul for initial delay in specific situations.

NFHS 2006-07: 7-5-1: After a time-out (as in 7-4-4) or the intermission between any quarter (as in 6-2-3), the resumption-of-play procedure is used to prevent delay. The timer will sound the authorized warning signal and final signal. The administering official will then sound the whistle to indicate play will resume. In each situation:
a. The ball shall be put in play if Team A is ready or it shall be placed on the floor.
b. The throw-in count shall begin and if a violation occurs, the procedure will be repeated for Team B.
c. Following a violation by one team only, if that team continues to delay when authorized to make a throw-in, it is a technical foul.
d. Following a violation by both teams, any further delay by either team is a technical foul.

NFHS 2007-08 Major Editorial Changes
4-31; 7-5-1: Clarified when the resumption of play procedure is in effect.

NFHS 2007-08: 4-38-1: The resumption-of-play procedure is used to prevent delay in putting the ball in play when a thowin team does not make a thrower available or following a time-out or intermission (unless either team is not on the court to start the second half) as in 7-5-1 and 8-1-2. The procedure results in a violation instead of a technical foul for initial delay in specific situations.

NFHS 2007-08: 7-5-1: When a team does not make a thrower available - after a time-out (as in 7-4-4) or the intermission between any quarter (as in 6-2-3), the resumption-of-play procedure is used to prevent delay. The administering official will sound the whistle to indicate play will resume. In each situation:
a. The ball shall be put in play if Team A is ready or it shall be placed on the floor.
b. The throw-in count shall begin and if a violation occurs, the procedure will be repeated for Team B.
c. Following a violation by one team only, if that team continues to delay when authorized to make a throw-in, it is a technical foul.
d. Following a violation by both teams, any further delay by either team is a technical foul.

Sorry it took so long.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Oct 19, 2008, 08:51pm
certified Hot Mom tester

The title of your thread reminded me of an old Steven Wright joke. He's going into a 7-11 when the clerk comes out and locks the doors behind him. Wright says to him, "Hey - the sign says you're open 24 hours." The clerk replies, "Sheesh - not in a row."
Old Sun Oct 19, 2008, 08:58pm
Esteemed Forum Member

"When you take a joke away from Milton Berle, it's not stealing, it's repossessing."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
The title of your thread reminded me of an old Steven Wright joke. He's going into a 7-11 when the clerk comes out and locks the doors behind him. Wright says to him, "Hey - the sign says you're open 24 hours." The clerk replies, "Sheesh - not in a row."
I can't be sure, but I believe I stole it from Mr. Wright. Milton Berle was my hero.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sun Oct 19, 2008, 09:05pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Billy - you have me confused with someone who actually paid attention in math class. They were not my drawings.

The link I sent was for our local league and has some fairly amateurish training. It is not up for this level of this forum, but does have a good diagram in this case.
Old Sun Oct 19, 2008, 09:11pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Mystery Theater ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
You have me confused with someone who actually paid attention in math class. They were not my drawings.
The Forum has a proper grammar guy, a proper spelling guy, and a geometric, trigometric, drawing guy. If it's not you, then who is it.

P.S. Please check your private messages when you get a chance.

Old Sun Oct 19, 2008, 09:44pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I wanted to followup on a thread started by Scrapper1 on Wednesday, October 8, 2008, at 9:09pm, but found the thread closed.

It took me all week to find enough time to research Scrapper's "unannounced" change. BktBallRef, and Nevadaref, were correct, it was announced, as an editorial change, it just wasn't "publicized", and I agree with Scrapper1 that it was an important change that should have gotten more publicity. In my research, I came up with the old rules regarding resumption of play, and the new rules, for comparison. Here's what I came up with:

NFHS 2006-07: 4-38-1: The resumption-of-play procedure is used to prevent delay in putting the ball in play following a time-out or intermission as in 7-5-1 and 8-1-2. The procedure results in a violation instead of a technical foul for initial delay in specific situations.

NFHS 2006-07: 7-5-1: After a time-out (as in 7-4-4) or the intermission between any quarter (as in 6-2-3), the resumption-of-play procedure is used to prevent delay. The timer will sound the authorized warning signal and final signal. The administering official will then sound the whistle to indicate play will resume. In each situation:

NFHS 2007-08 Major Editorial Changes
4-31; 7-5-1: Clarified when the resumption of play procedure is in effect.

NFHS 2007-08: 4-38-1: The resumption-of-play procedure is used to prevent delay in putting the ball in play when a thowin team does not make a thrower available or following a time-out or intermission (unless either team is not on the court to start the second half) as in 7-5-1 and 8-1-2. The procedure results in a violation instead of a technical foul for initial delay in specific situations.

NFHS 2007-08: 7-5-1: When a team does not make a thrower available - after a time-out (as in 7-4-4) or the intermission between any quarter (as in 6-2-3), the resumption-of-play procedure is used to prevent delay. The administering official will sound the whistle to indicate play will resume. In each situation:

Sorry it took so long.

Billy:

You are not MTD, Jr. (because there already is one, ), but I am going to make you an honoray chip off the old block, . You have done good my boy.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Oct 19, 2008, 09:57pm
Esteemed Forum Member

And I'll Call You Master Po ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
I am going to make you an honoray chip off the old block. You have done good my boy.
Should I change my Forum name to Grasshopper?

Old Sun Oct 19, 2008, 10:03pm
Administrator

Quote:
Should I change my Forum name to Grasshopper?

Grasshopper III. I and II are resevered for Mark, Jr. and Andy. Of course to them I am the 'old man' and the 'bald old geezer.' LOL

MTD, Sr.

P.S. Our OhioHSAA State Basketball Rules metings have started and soon Junior will be carrying his 'old man' for the rest of the season.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Oct 19, 2008, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The Forum has a proper grammar guy, a proper spelling guy, and a geometric, trigometric, drawing guy. If it's not you, then who is it.

P.S. Please check your private messages when you get a chance.
The grammer am guy I speeling ?
Old Sun Oct 19, 2008, 10:21pm
Esteemed Forum Member

"Eureka!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
The grammer am guy I speeling ?
I'm not sure about that, but I do know that you're the geometric, trigometric, drawing guy. You can't fool me. I have proof.

Old Mon Oct 20, 2008, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Why Does A 24/7 Store Have Doors With Locks If It's Never Closed ???
You're right, they are completely unnecessary. Sort of like adding a random title, which adds nothing to the discussion, to every post one makes
Old Mon Oct 20, 2008, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB View Post
You're right, they are completely unnecessary. Sort of like adding a random title, which adds nothing to the discussion, to every post one makes
Cut the guy some slack. He's still in therapy for his compulsive image posting behavior
Old Mon Oct 20, 2008, 10:36pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Insert Random Title Here ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB View Post
Thanks for noticing. It's hard work.