The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Why Does A 24/7 Store Have Doors With Locks If It's Never Closed ??? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/49421-why-does-24-7-store-have-doors-locks-if-its-never-closed.html)

BillyMac Sun Oct 19, 2008 07:18pm

Why Does A 24/7 Store Have Doors With Locks If It's Never Closed ???

I wanted to followup on a thread started by Scrapper1 on Wednesday, October 8, 2008, at 9:09pm, but found the thread closed.

It took me all week to find enough time to research Scrapper's "unannounced" change. BktBallRef, and Nevadaref, were correct, it was announced, as an editorial change, it just wasn't "publicized", and I agree with Scrapper1 that it was an important change that should have gotten more publicity. In my research, I came up with the old rules regarding resumption of play, and the new rules, for comparison. Here's what I came up with:

NFHS 2006-07: 4-38-1: The resumption-of-play procedure is used to prevent delay in putting the ball in play following a time-out or intermission as in 7-5-1 and 8-1-2. The procedure results in a violation instead of a technical foul for initial delay in specific situations.

NFHS 2006-07: 7-5-1: After a time-out (as in 7-4-4) or the intermission between any quarter (as in 6-2-3), the resumption-of-play procedure is used to prevent delay. The timer will sound the authorized warning signal and final signal. The administering official will then sound the whistle to indicate play will resume. In each situation:
a. The ball shall be put in play if Team A is ready or it shall be placed on the floor.
b. The throw-in count shall begin and if a violation occurs, the procedure will be repeated for Team B.
c. Following a violation by one team only, if that team continues to delay when authorized to make a throw-in, it is a technical foul.
d. Following a violation by both teams, any further delay by either team is a technical foul.

NFHS 2007-08 Major Editorial Changes
4-31; 7-5-1: Clarified when the resumption of play procedure is in effect.

NFHS 2007-08: 4-38-1: The resumption-of-play procedure is used to prevent delay in putting the ball in play when a thowin team does not make a thrower available or following a time-out or intermission (unless either team is not on the court to start the second half) as in 7-5-1 and 8-1-2. The procedure results in a violation instead of a technical foul for initial delay in specific situations.

NFHS 2007-08: 7-5-1: When a team does not make a thrower available - after a time-out (as in 7-4-4) or the intermission between any quarter (as in 6-2-3), the resumption-of-play procedure is used to prevent delay. The administering official will sound the whistle to indicate play will resume. In each situation:
a. The ball shall be put in play if Team A is ready or it shall be placed on the floor.
b. The throw-in count shall begin and if a violation occurs, the procedure will be repeated for Team B.
c. Following a violation by one team only, if that team continues to delay when authorized to make a throw-in, it is a technical foul.
d. Following a violation by both teams, any further delay by either team is a technical foul.

Sorry it took so long.

Mark Padgett Sun Oct 19, 2008 08:51pm

The title of your thread reminded me of an old Steven Wright joke. He's going into a 7-11 when the clerk comes out and locks the doors behind him. Wright says to him, "Hey - the sign says you're open 24 hours." The clerk replies, "Sheesh - not in a row." :D

BillyMac Sun Oct 19, 2008 08:58pm

"When you take a joke away from Milton Berle, it's not stealing, it's repossessing."

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 544016)
The title of your thread reminded me of an old Steven Wright joke. He's going into a 7-11 when the clerk comes out and locks the doors behind him. Wright says to him, "Hey - the sign says you're open 24 hours." The clerk replies, "Sheesh - not in a row."

I can't be sure, but I believe I stole it from Mr. Wright. Milton Berle was my hero.

grunewar Sun Oct 19, 2008 09:05pm

Billy - you have me confused with someone who actually paid attention in math class. They were not my drawings.

The link I sent was for our local league and has some fairly amateurish training. It is not up for this level of this forum, but does have a good diagram in this case.

BillyMac Sun Oct 19, 2008 09:11pm

Mystery Theater ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 544019)
You have me confused with someone who actually paid attention in math class. They were not my drawings.

The Forum has a proper grammar guy, a proper spelling guy, and a geometric, trigometric, drawing guy. If it's not you, then who is it.

P.S. Please check your private messages when you get a chance.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sun Oct 19, 2008 09:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 544010)
I wanted to followup on a thread started by Scrapper1 on Wednesday, October 8, 2008, at 9:09pm, but found the thread closed.

It took me all week to find enough time to research Scrapper's "unannounced" change. BktBallRef, and Nevadaref, were correct, it was announced, as an editorial change, it just wasn't "publicized", and I agree with Scrapper1 that it was an important change that should have gotten more publicity. In my research, I came up with the old rules regarding resumption of play, and the new rules, for comparison. Here's what I came up with:

NFHS 2006-07: 4-38-1: The resumption-of-play procedure is used to prevent delay in putting the ball in play following a time-out or intermission as in 7-5-1 and 8-1-2. The procedure results in a violation instead of a technical foul for initial delay in specific situations.

NFHS 2006-07: 7-5-1: After a time-out (as in 7-4-4) or the intermission between any quarter (as in 6-2-3), the resumption-of-play procedure is used to prevent delay. The timer will sound the authorized warning signal and final signal. The administering official will then sound the whistle to indicate play will resume. In each situation:

NFHS 2007-08 Major Editorial Changes
4-31; 7-5-1: Clarified when the resumption of play procedure is in effect.

NFHS 2007-08: 4-38-1: The resumption-of-play procedure is used to prevent delay in putting the ball in play when a thowin team does not make a thrower available or following a time-out or intermission (unless either team is not on the court to start the second half) as in 7-5-1 and 8-1-2. The procedure results in a violation instead of a technical foul for initial delay in specific situations.

NFHS 2007-08: 7-5-1: When a team does not make a thrower available - after a time-out (as in 7-4-4) or the intermission between any quarter (as in 6-2-3), the resumption-of-play procedure is used to prevent delay. The administering official will sound the whistle to indicate play will resume. In each situation:

Sorry it took so long.

Billy:

You are not MTD, Jr. (because there already is one, :D), but I am going to make you an honoray chip off the old block, :D. You have done good my boy.

MTD, Sr.

BillyMac Sun Oct 19, 2008 09:57pm

And I'll Call You Master Po ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 544026)
I am going to make you an honoray chip off the old block. You have done good my boy.

Should I change my Forum name to Grasshopper?

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 544030)
Should I change my Forum name to Grasshopper?

Grasshopper III. I and II are resevered for Mark, Jr. and Andy. Of course to them I am the 'old man' and the 'bald old geezer.' LOL

MTD, Sr.

P.S. Our OhioHSAA State Basketball Rules metings have started and soon Junior will be carrying his 'old man' for the rest of the season.

Camron Rust Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 544021)
The Forum has a proper grammar guy, a proper spelling guy, and a geometric, trigometric, drawing guy. If it's not you, then who is it.

P.S. Please check your private messages when you get a chance.

The grammer am guy I speeling ? :p

BillyMac Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:21pm

"Eureka!"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 544033)
The grammer am guy I speeling ?

I'm not sure about that, but I do know that you're the geometric, trigometric, drawing guy. You can't fool me. I have proof.

LDUB Mon Oct 20, 2008 04:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 544010)
Why Does A 24/7 Store Have Doors With Locks If It's Never Closed ???

You're right, they are completely unnecessary. Sort of like adding a random title, which adds nothing to the discussion, to every post one makes :rolleyes:

Back In The Saddle Mon Oct 20, 2008 05:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LDUB (Post 544245)
You're right, they are completely unnecessary. Sort of like adding a random title, which adds nothing to the discussion, to every post one makes :rolleyes:

Cut the guy some slack. He's still in therapy for his compulsive image posting behavior ;)

BillyMac Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:36pm

Insert Random Title Here ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by LDUB (Post 544245)
You're right, they are completely unnecessary. Sort of like adding a random title, which adds nothing to the discussion, to every post one makes

Thanks for noticing. It's hard work.