View Single Post
Old Sun Oct 19, 2008, 09:44pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I wanted to followup on a thread started by Scrapper1 on Wednesday, October 8, 2008, at 9:09pm, but found the thread closed.

It took me all week to find enough time to research Scrapper's "unannounced" change. BktBallRef, and Nevadaref, were correct, it was announced, as an editorial change, it just wasn't "publicized", and I agree with Scrapper1 that it was an important change that should have gotten more publicity. In my research, I came up with the old rules regarding resumption of play, and the new rules, for comparison. Here's what I came up with:

NFHS 2006-07: 4-38-1: The resumption-of-play procedure is used to prevent delay in putting the ball in play following a time-out or intermission as in 7-5-1 and 8-1-2. The procedure results in a violation instead of a technical foul for initial delay in specific situations.

NFHS 2006-07: 7-5-1: After a time-out (as in 7-4-4) or the intermission between any quarter (as in 6-2-3), the resumption-of-play procedure is used to prevent delay. The timer will sound the authorized warning signal and final signal. The administering official will then sound the whistle to indicate play will resume. In each situation:
a. The ball shall be put in play if Team A is ready or it shall be placed on the floor.
b. The throw-in count shall begin and if a violation occurs, the procedure will be repeated for Team B.
c. Following a violation by one team only, if that team continues to delay when authorized to make a throw-in, it is a technical foul.
d. Following a violation by both teams, any further delay by either team is a technical foul.

NFHS 2007-08 Major Editorial Changes
4-31; 7-5-1: Clarified when the resumption of play procedure is in effect.

NFHS 2007-08: 4-38-1: The resumption-of-play procedure is used to prevent delay in putting the ball in play when a thowin team does not make a thrower available or following a time-out or intermission (unless either team is not on the court to start the second half) as in 7-5-1 and 8-1-2. The procedure results in a violation instead of a technical foul for initial delay in specific situations.

NFHS 2007-08: 7-5-1: When a team does not make a thrower available - after a time-out (as in 7-4-4) or the intermission between any quarter (as in 6-2-3), the resumption-of-play procedure is used to prevent delay. The administering official will sound the whistle to indicate play will resume. In each situation:
a. The ball shall be put in play if Team A is ready or it shall be placed on the floor.
b. The throw-in count shall begin and if a violation occurs, the procedure will be repeated for Team B.
c. Following a violation by one team only, if that team continues to delay when authorized to make a throw-in, it is a technical foul.
d. Following a violation by both teams, any further delay by either team is a technical foul.

Sorry it took so long.

Billy:

You are not MTD, Jr. (because there already is one, ), but I am going to make you an honoray chip off the old block, . You have done good my boy.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio