The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 19, 2008, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Incorrect spot by partner

Not that I've never made this mistake, but it happened yesterday and after asking our observer he said it's a tough one...

I am lead in 2 man. Ball just barely inside my area, partner reaches in for a foul I passed on- OK I'm not too concerned. He then spots the ball on my sideline and reports. As we switch, I'm thinking "that's the wrong spot, maybe he'll realize it and spot on the baseline".... Nope. Designated spot on sideline OOB. I let it go. Partner is second year cadet as am I.

I ask our observer afterwards. (didn't mention it to partner, which I should have). He said that's a tough one... he might have commuicated "Hey partner- sideline or baseline?" I told him that if it were a HS game, I would have pushed the proper spot b/c there is always someone watching, plus it's the correct spot. I also said that if it were a HS game with him or some other official several more years experienced than me, I was not gonna push it which might look like me making him look bad.

Whaddya do from my perspective?
Old Sun Oct 19, 2008, 10:27am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Talk to your partner later, if you get a chance and you think he's open to discussion.
If you don't think he's open to it, don't discuss it.

What you can do here is hold the ball, stand at the correct spot until he reports, and try to force the issue that way.

Where exactly was the ball? Was it close to being a sideline throwin?
Old Sun Oct 19, 2008, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Where exactly was the ball? Was it close to being a sideline throwin?
Ball was just under free throw line and the next step by offense would have been into the lane.

BTW, I'll speak to him about it, he's pretty open. My concern is more along the lines of how do I handle this without embarrasing my partner and getting him/her POd at me..? Is there a proper etiquette and if not, when do you push it and when do you let it go?

I've been wrong and have had varsity guys do both- force the spot and let it go, but they all spoke to me about it at the next time out or afterwards, which, I think, is the key.
Old Sun Oct 19, 2008, 10:52am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
I find some "newer" officials (especially the less trained at the wreck level) spot the ball "wherever they feel comfortable" regardless of where it should be.

As was stated, I might call him over for a brief conversation and let him know where it should really go. However, if they don't want to change, I wouldn't make a spectacle of it on the court. I would later show them on my court/chalkboard the proper placement and explain why.

These types of issues are more important at the higher levels as coaches can be adamant about spot location knowing their set plays coming out of it. JME
Old Sun Oct 19, 2008, 11:21am
Esteemed Forum Member

Mr. Referee. Where's The Throw In ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
These types of issues are more important at the higher levels as coaches can be adamant about spot location knowing their set plays coming out of it.
Good point. Good reason to go to the correct spot, not a comfortable spot. Rookies take note.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Oct 19, 2008 at 11:34am.
Old Sun Oct 19, 2008, 07:13pm
Official Forum Member

Rookie here...can some of you vets give us a quickie primer on correct spots?
Kind of like the on on hand checking last week...I found that very helpful in getting a handle on what I should be looking for as far as hand checking goes.

Thanks...I've learned a lot from reading the posts. I have my first classroom session tomorrow night (the start of a two year process) to get my IAABO high school certifacation.
Old Sun Oct 19, 2008, 07:30pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Who's The Forum Member Who Draws Those Fancy Geometric, Diagrams ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
Rookie here. Can some of you vets give us a quickie primer on correct spots? I have my first classroom session tomorrow night (the start of a two year process) to get my IAABO high school certification.
Check page 43 (or so, I have a 2007-08 book right now, your's may be newer) in the IAABO Crew of Two Basketball Officials Manual.

Or, imagine a diagram of the court. Lines go from each "elbow" to each endline/sideline corner. The two triangles formed by these lines, the endline, and the lane lines, and the lane itself, and the semicircle above the foul line, are all areas where the nearest spot has to be on the endline. Everything else in the frontcourt has to go the nearest spot on the sideline.

The "comfortable" spots some are referring to, are when the ball is to be put in play under the basket. Some lead officials will put the ball in play on the lane line side so that the trail doesn't have to rotate over to the other side of the trail position, rather than put the ball in play on the lane line side closest to the spot of the violation, foul, or point of interruption, forcing his partner, as the trail, to rotate to the other side of the trail position, as the rules, and proper mechanics dictate. As a rookie, don't start developing bad habits like this.

(Who's old enough to remember when, if a foul shot that went in didn't count due to an offensive violation, the ball was put in play on the sideline, free throw line extended? I bet not many of us.)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Oct 19, 2008 at 07:39pm.
Old Sun Oct 19, 2008, 07:48pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Quote:
Sent you a PM with a link to a drawing. Hope you can view it and it helps.
Old Sun Oct 19, 2008, 08:23pm
Esteemed Forum Member

"Once Upon A Time There Was An Engineer"

Quote:
Sent you a PM with a link to a drawing. Hope you can view it and it helps.
Come on grunewar. Can't you share with all of us. What's the big secret? We love your geometric, trigonometric, technical, engineering-type, diagrams. Wasn't your most recent diagram one a showing the possibilities of an over the backboard shot going in, legally? Your diagrams bring me back to the days of innocence when I was checking out girls, and daydreaming about sports, while I was in Mr. Fiore's geometry class, and Mr. Madden's trigonometry class.

Honestly. Your diagrams are awesome. My boss is a mechanical engineer. He's one of the brightest people I know.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Oct 19, 2008 at 08:51pm.
Old Sun Oct 19, 2008, 09:21pm
Esteemed Forum Member

"Olly, Olly, Otsinfree!"

I finally found him. He's not grunewar. Camron Rust is our Forum geometric, trigometric, diagram guy.

Pass Goes Behind the Backboard, Through the Supports

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Oct 19, 2008 at 09:24pm.
Old Mon Oct 20, 2008, 09:03pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Quote:
http://www.lhsaa.org/officials_forms.php

Go to the above link and refer to the 3-Man Mechanic Manual, pg iii for a diagram.

There ya go Billy!
Old Mon Oct 20, 2008, 09:15pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
http://www.lhsaa.org/officials_forms.php

Go to the above link and refer to the 3-Man Mechanic Manual, pg iii for a diagram.

There ya go Billy!
But don't read the rest of it, unless you're interested in late 1980s mechanics.
Old Mon Oct 20, 2008, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
But don't read the rest of it, unless you're interested in late 1980s mechanics.
"The center official will administer any single free throw and the first throw of a one-and-one or the first of two or three throws. When more than one free thrower is involved, the center official administers the first throw by each free thrower."

Old Tue Oct 21, 2008, 01:20am
Official Forum Member

Glad I could be of service: