The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 15, 2008, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Question Throw in

B2 has the ball for an end line designated spot throw in. B2 attempts to pass to a teammate in the far corner of her frontcourt where the sideline and end line meet. After the pass has been released , defender A4 jumps from the court, crosses the plane of the end line in the air, intercepts the pass on the out of bounds side of the end line, and throws it back onto the court before touching down out of bounds.
I say this is a tech on A4 for breaking the plane and making contact with the ball in the air out of bounds. Isn't touching the pass out of bounds the same as if the thrower isholding the ball?
Old Wed Oct 15, 2008, 09:50am
Lighten up, Francis.

Are you asking about NFHS rules or NCAA rules?

You get different results on this play, depending on the ruleset. In neither case is it a technical foul, however. In order to be a technical foul, the defender must make contact with the ball while it's still in the inbounder's hands or while it is being passed to another teammate who is also out of bounds.

In NFHS, your play is perfectly legal. We got a clarification on this a few years ago. Once the throw-in pass is released, the defense may break the plane and make contact.

In NCAA-M, it's a violation for the defender to break the plane before the throw-in pass crosses the boundary plane.
Old Wed Oct 15, 2008, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Where canI get info on your High School clarification?
Old Wed Oct 15, 2008, 11:26am
M.A.S.H.

And it's a question the NFHS asked this year...
Old Wed Oct 15, 2008, 11:48am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surehands View Post
where cani get info on your high school clarification?
nfhs 10-3-10
Old Wed Oct 15, 2008, 12:14pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by surehands View Post
B2 has the ball for an end line designated spot throw in. B2 attempts to pass to a teammate in the far corner of her frontcourt where the sideline and end line meet. After the pass has been released , defender A4 jumps from the court, crosses the plane of the end line in the air, intercepts the pass on the out of bounds side of the end line, and throws it back onto the court before touching down out of bounds.
I say this is a tech on A4 for breaking the plane and making contact with the ball in the air out of bounds. Isn't touching the pass out of bounds the same as if the thrower isholding the ball?
A4 jumped from inbounds. Whle airborne, A4 is inbounds until A4 touches OB. When A4 touched the ball while airborne, the throw-in was completed as it is legally touched by an inbounds player. The ball remains live when A4 directed the ball back to the court.

No technical foul. Perfectly legal.
Old Wed Oct 15, 2008, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Not to hijack the post but....

If the offense would catch such a pass (that never crosses the endline), is that a violation? For some reason, in the far recesses of my brain, I believe that's a violation for not passing the ball directly inbounds. True?

-Josh
Old Wed Oct 15, 2008, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
Not to hijack the post but....

If the offense would catch such a pass (that never crosses the endline), is that a violation? For some reason, in the far recesses of my brain, I believe that's a violation for not passing the ball directly inbounds. True?

-Josh
No rule quote here at work, I'm sure someone here will get it, but, yes, it is a violation.
Old Wed Oct 15, 2008, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachP View Post
No rule quote here at work, I'm sure someone here will get it, but, yes, it is a violation.
from an old set of the rules....but I don't think the text for this one has been changed at all...

RULE 7 - OUT OF BOUNDS AND THROW-IN
SECTION 6 THROW-IN ADMINISTRATION

ART. 1 . . . (snip) The throw-in pass shall not touch a teammate while it is on the out-of-bounds side of the throw-in boundary plane.
Old Wed Oct 15, 2008, 05:56pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

The text hasn't changed, but it's now under 7-6-2. Last sentence of that article.
Old Wed Oct 15, 2008, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
The text hasn't changed, but it's now under 7-6-2. Last sentence of that article.
Does that mean the ball call be a legally be touched after any part of the ball is inbounds or the entire ball is inbounds? Hate to be picky but it's going to come up in my mind anyways lol

-Josh
Old Thu Oct 16, 2008, 02:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
Does that mean the ball call be a legally be touched after any part of the ball is inbounds or the entire ball is inbounds? Hate to be picky but it's going to come up in my mind anyways lol

-Josh
That point is not specified....it could even be after the center of the ball passes the throw-in plane.
Old Thu Oct 16, 2008, 03:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
Are you asking about NFHS rules or NCAA rules?

You get different results on this play, depending on the ruleset. In neither case is it a technical foul, however. In order to be a technical foul, the defender must make contact with the ball while it's still in the inbounder's hands or while it is being passed to another teammate who is also out of bounds.

In NFHS, your play is perfectly legal. We got a clarification on this a few years ago. Once the throw-in pass is released, the defense may break the plane and make contact.

In NCAA-M, it's a violation for the defender to break the plane before the throw-in pass crosses the boundary plane.
Excellent answer.

I've posted on this difference numerous times in the past.

Legal play in NFHS per 9-2-10. The key words are: "...until the ball has been released on a throw-in pass."
Under NCAA rules 9-5-3 says that it is a violation for breaking the plane before the ball crosses the boundary.
Old Thu Oct 16, 2008, 08:32am
Lighten up, Francis.

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Legal play in NFHS per 9-2-10. The key words are: "...until the ball has been released on a throw-in pass."
Thanks for the citation. I knew there was a specific rule covering it, but I couldn't remember where.