The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 08, 2003, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

A-1's try from behind the 3 point line is legally touched by A-2 who is in the 2-point area. Ball enters basket. Official awards two points. Is the official correct.

Answer key says NO.

What am I missing here?
Old Sat Nov 08, 2003, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

the official would be correct under FIBA rules but in NFHS he is wrong. 5-2-1

casebook 5-2-1.a
Old Sat Nov 08, 2003, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Wait I am wrong. It was touched by A-2 not B-2. I am stumped as well.

casebook 5.2.1 situation c (d) score 2 points
Old Sat Nov 08, 2003, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

It was a mistake by IAABO. Should be YES!
Old Mon Nov 10, 2003, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Does it really matter who touched a try in flight? I think not. If the try leaves the hands as a 3-pointer, it's 3 no matter who touches where along the way.
Old Mon Nov 10, 2003, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Almost correct

NFHS 5.2.1 Situation C (item d)...

if touched by the offense and deflected from inside the three point line (two point area) then two points.
Old Mon Nov 10, 2003, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Almost correct

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown

if touched by the offense and deflected from inside the three point line (two point area) then two points.
So, as I read this case that you've provided, it makes it a two if it is deflected. However, if it is merely touches without imparting a change of momentum, this case does not apply. Would you agree?
Old Mon Nov 10, 2003, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Almost correct

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Quote:

So, as I read this case that you've provided, it makes it a two if it is deflected. However, if it is merely touches without imparting a change of momentum, this case does not apply. Would you agree?
No, I wouldn't agree.

The case says "touched" -- nothing about "changing momentum"
Old Mon Nov 10, 2003, 06:28pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Almost correct

Quote:
Quote:

Not to bring physics into this debate, but any touch would, de facto, cause a change in momentum of the system - both that of the ball and the player.
Old Mon Nov 10, 2003, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Almost correct

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Quote:

No, I wouldn't agree.

The case says "touched" -- nothing about "changing momentum"
It does say "touched AND deflected" (assuming that DTTB quoted what was in the case). A deflection is exactly that (momentum was in my head from the slide/roll discussion). It could certainly be read to say that if it is not deflected but only touched then the case's ruling may not apply.

We have a clear 3-point try that is touched. If it leaves the shooter's hand as a 3 point try, it continues to be a 3-point try until the try ends. If it is on the upward flight and A2 redirects a try, it's a new try from whereever A2 is located (either the original or this new try was not going to be successful. Either way, it will be 2 points or 0 points). If it merely brushes A2's single wild hair, I think the original try continues. Imagine Mugsy Boges (sp?) shooting over a screen set by Shawn Bradey.

I belive this case's purpose is to allow us to distingush between the original try and a subsequent try/tap. If the ball is touched inside the line by the offense, I think it is up to the referee's judegment depending on whether that touch made a difference.
Old Tue Nov 11, 2003, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Almost correct

Quote:
It does say "touched AND deflected" (assuming that DTTB quoted what was in the case).
The word "deflected" (or any variant thereof) is not in that case.
Old Tue Nov 11, 2003, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Almost correct

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
It does say "touched AND deflected" (assuming that DTTB quoted what was in the case).
The word "deflected" (or any variant thereof) is not in that case.
Very well then. I was going on what was posted. Since you say the actual case does only say touched, I'd have to agree with you.
Old Tue Nov 11, 2003, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry

What I typed was not intended as a quote...

Here is the quote

5.2.1 Situation C:
A1 throws the ball from behind the three-point line. The ball is legally touched by: ...(d) A2 who is in the two-point area. The ball continues in flight and goes through A's basket. Ruling: ...In (d), score two points since the legal touch by a teammate occurred in the two-point area.

For example (mine) A1 is attempting the alley-oop or just a pass from the three-point area. A2 under or near the basket attempts to catch/dunk the ball but fails to control the pass having only touched (and likely deflected) the pass... score two.

If the official can say A2 didn't touch the throw, score 3. If A2 touched it and was within the two-point area, score 2.

Sorry for the confusion Cameron.
Old Wed Nov 19, 2003, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

Refresher Test #65

Rule 4.40

Here is what you've got a throw for goal was ended and turned into a tap for goal both are try for goals. The throw for goal(Three point attempt) ended when the tap for goal started. So you would have a two point basket. The answer has been changed to Yes by IAABO.
Old Wed Nov 19, 2003, 07:40pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Refresher Test #65

Quote:
Originally posted by EMBUAump
Rule 4.40

Here is what you've got a throw for goal was ended and turned into a tap for goal both are try for goals. The throw for goal(Three point attempt) ended when the tap for goal started. So you would have a two point basket. The answer has been changed to Yes by IAABO.
Can you confirm that IAABO has officially changed their answer? How did you hear about this? I asked our interpreter about 65 and he gave a great answer defending the answer key. The key words being throw and try. The test uses the word try. A try is 3 points even if it is touched by A2. 5.2.l Situation C uses the word throw-so it is only worth 2 points when touched by A2. (no case play to defend the try-throw wording) So if IAABO has officially changed their answer I would like to know about it.