The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 04, 2008, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

Question Leaving the floor violation?

I had a situation happen tonight that I had not considered before, and I want to know what you think.

V misses a basket and H gets the rebound. While heading up the floor, looking to get the outlet pass, running pretty much shoulder to shoulder with her opponent and trying to get past her, the H point guard steps OOB. Not far, her outside foot was probably an inch, maybe two, outside the line. Next step she's back on the floor, and the next step she catches the outlet pass.

So, in a very real sense she did leave the floor while trying to get past her defender. So the rule, as written, would probably apply. And it happened right in front of the V coach, who wanted the call.

OTOH, a step OOB that minor, if it happened on the end line when a player was trying to get around a screen, I certainly wouldn't have done more than tell the player to stay on the floor. And, I'm pretty certain it was not a deliberate act and the player had no idea she had stepped OOB.

What do you think? Are the two situations enough different that I shouldn't compare them? Should I have called this violation, no matter how minor?

Last edited by Back In The Saddle; Sat Oct 04, 2008 at 09:55pm.
Old Sat Oct 04, 2008, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

First, the worst thing that you could do is to make a picky call BECAUSE THE COACH IS RIGHT THERE AND EXPRESSING HIS DESIRE FOR IT!

Don't EVER let a coach influence a decision that you make!

That coach will think that he can get a call from you whenever he wants and will be on you the rest of the game.

Secondly, why are you considering penalizing a player for stepping an inch OOB? Remember calling the obvious? Besides was that such an advantage that you had to get it? Do you really think that it meets the spirit and intent of the rule?

I know that you don't call every little bump during the game a foul, and I'm guessing that there was some contact when she was running shoulder-to-shoulder with an opponent.

If you really want something to consider, think about what would you have called had the PG had the ball at this time.
Would you have called an OOB violation or a foul on the opponent?

Thankfully, here the player didn't have the ball and you weren't forced to make such a decision, so you had the option to just let the little stuff go.
Old Sat Oct 04, 2008, 11:21pm
Ch1town

Check all the situations in 9.3.3
Although none are similar to your sitch the intent seem to be that "leaving the court for an unauthorized reason" is an intentional act to gain an advantage.

I don't believe a violation occured at all.
Old Sun Oct 05, 2008, 08:42am
Esteemed Forum Member

But I Just Wanted To Get Money From My Mom To Buy A Cheesburger After The Game ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town View Post
Check all the situations in 9.3.3.
9-3-3: A player shall not leave the floor for an unauthorized reason. Note: The dribbler has committed a violation if he/she steps on or outside a boundary, even though he/she is not touching the ball while he/she is out of bounds.

9.3.3 Situation A: A1 receives a pass while in the restricted area of the lane. A1 passes the ball to A2 outside the three-point line. In order to get the three-second count stopped, A1 steps directly out of bounds under A's basket. Ruling: A1 is charged with a violation for leaving the court for an unauthorized reason. (9-7)

9.3.3 Situation B: A1 and A2 set a double screen near the end line. A3 intentionally goes out of bounds outside the end line to have his/her defender detained by the double screen. Ruling: The official shall call a violation on A3 as soon as he/she steps out of bounds. The ball is awarded to Team B at a designated spot nearest to where the violation occurred.

9.3.3 Situation C: A1 and A2 set a double screen near the end line. B3 intentionally goes out of bounds outside the end line to avoid being detained by A1 and A2. Just as B3 goes out of bounds, A3's try is in flight.
Ruling: B3 is called for a leaving-the-floor violation. Team A will receive the ball out of bounds at a spot nearest to where the violation occurred. Since the violation is on the defense, the ball does not become dead until the try has ended. If the try is successful, it will count. (6-7-9 Exception d)

9.3.3 Situation D: The score is tied 60-60 with four seconds remaining in the game. A1 has a fast break and is near the free-throw line on his/her way to an uncontested lay-up. B5 running down the court near the sideline, intentionally runs out of bounds in the hopes of getting a leaving-the-floor violation called. Ruling: B5's intentional violation should be ignored and A1's activity should continue without interruption. Comment: Non-contact, away from the ball, illegal defensive violations (i.e. excessively swinging the elbows, leaving the floor for an unauthorized reason) specifically designed to stop the clock near the end of a period or take away a clear advantageous position by the offense should be temporarily ignored. The defensive team should not benefit from the tactic. If time is not a factor, the defense should be penalized with the violation or a technical foul for unsporting behavior. (10-1-8)

Note: Let's not forget that some coaches, and fanboys, might not have access to a rulebook (boy, it that an understatement).
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)