View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 01, 2008, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Why disallow the basket?

I am confused by the rationale here, but I'll try talking out loud to see if I can answer my own question:

Q- A1's pass strikes A2 on the shoulder. As the ball is in flight, time expires. Ball enters the basket. Official disallows the basket. Is he correct?

Answer- Yes. (I was wrong, I said No)

We discussed this in class and the explanation was that the pass is not a try, tap or shot, therefore the goal is disallowed. I need further explanation...

However, I see that the goal is allowed if time has NOT expired (Case Book 5.1.1(a)). I also see that R 5.1.1 says a "goal is scored when a live ball enters the basket..."

It seems to me that this is an definition issue- live ball/dead ball. The ball is dead once time expires, except if there is a try or tap for a basket. Since the pass was not a try or tap, the ball is dead on the expiration of time, but the actual try or tap ball remains alive until the try for goal is good, or misses. Did I miss anything?

Being honest, I would have counted that basket 10 out of 10 times this past year if it happened. I guess that's why us young'uns go to class...

Z