The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 28, 2008, 07:21pm
Official Forum Member

Player technical?

Is it a T on a player if they leave the court for an unauthorized reason? I know it's a T if the player delays returning to the court after legally being out of bounds, but if they just walk off the court for no reason, is that a T or a violation? Thanks!
Old Sun Sep 28, 2008, 07:35pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I Just Wanted To Get A Soda From The Refreshment Stand ...

It's a violation.

NFHS Violations and Penalties 9-3-3: A player shall not leave the floor for an unauthorized reason.

However:

9.3.3 Situation D: The score is tied 60-60 with four seconds remaining in the game. A1 has a fast break and is near the free-throw line on his/her way to an uncontested lay-up. B5 running down the court near the sideline, intentionally runs out of bounds in the hopes of getting a leaving-the-floor violation called. Ruling: B5's intentional violation should be ignored and A1's activity should continue without interruption. Comment: Non-contact, away from the ball, illegal defensive violations (i.e. excessively swinging the elbows, leaving the floor for an unauthorized reason) specifically designed to stop the clock near the end of a period or take away a clear advantageous position by the offense should be temporarily ignored. The defensive team should not benefit from the tactic. If time is not a factor, the defense should be penalized with the violation or a technical foul for unsporting behavior. (10-1-8)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Sep 28, 2008, 07:36pm
Official Forum Member

Get yourself another refreshment. You've earned it. Thanks!!
Old Sun Sep 28, 2008, 07:36pm
Official Forum Member

If he leaves the floor to gain an advantage, it's a violation.

If legally leaves the floor and "purposely and/or deceitfully" delays returning, it's a T.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Sep 28, 2008, 09:42pm
Esteemed Forum Member

To quote Ed McMahon, "You are correct, sir."

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
If he leaves the floor to gain an advantage, it's a violation. If legally leaves the floor and "purposely and/or deceitfully" delays returning, it's a T.
BktBallRef is correct.

10-3-3 Player Technical: Delay returning after legally being out of bounds.

10.3.3 Situation A: A1 has the ball out of bounds for a throw-in. A1 completes the throw-in to A2 and then takes four or five steps along the end line prior to coming inbounds behind a screen set by A3 and A4. A1 gets a return pass from A2 and takes an unchallenged try for goal. Ruling: A1 is charged with a technical foul for failing to move directly onto the court after the throw-in. A1’s movement out of bounds along the end line was to take advantage of the screen.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Mon Sep 29, 2008, 06:13am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Hypothetical.......

A1 and B1 are scrapping for a rebound and both dive to the floor. B1 comes up with the ball and we're going the other way. A1 comes up lame and in pain holding his shoulder and is somewhat disoriented and walks off the court to the bench to get medical assistance. There has been no stoppage and a TO has not been requested or granted.

You are the T. You see all of this but there is no blood and no danger to the players falling all over, etc. B is on a break..... When the play "ends" or there is a break in the action and a TO is requested/granted, do you T him up for leaving the court? He has purposely left, but not deceitfully left.
Old Mon Sep 29, 2008, 06:32am
Esteemed Forum Member

How Many Fingers Am I Holding Up ? Where Are You ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
A1 comes up lame and in pain holding his shoulder and is somewhat disoriented and walks off the court to the bench to get medical assistance. You are the T. You see all of this but there is no blood and no danger to the players falling all over, etc. B is on a break..... When the play "ends" or there is a break in the action and a TO is requested/granted, do you T him up for leaving the court? He has purposely left, but not deceitfully left.
Good question. The rule says "purposely and/or deceitfully", so now the question becomes, did he do it purposely? The word "disoriented" may be used as proof that he did not do it "purposely". That combined with a little "Intent and Purpose" may allow this play with no violation, or technical foul, being called, thus no penalty. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Old Mon Sep 29, 2008, 07:02am
Lighten up, Francis.

I would never penalize a legitimately injured or ill player for leaving the court.
Old Mon Sep 29, 2008, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
I would never penalize a legitimately injured or ill player for leaving the court.
Exactly.
Old Mon Sep 29, 2008, 11:06am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
A1 and B1 are scrapping for a rebound and both dive to the floor. B1 comes up with the ball and we're going the other way. A1 comes up lame and in pain holding his shoulder and is somewhat disoriented and walks off the court to the bench to get medical assistance. There has been no stoppage and a TO has not been requested or granted.

You are the T. You see all of this but there is no blood and no danger to the players falling all over, etc. B is on a break..... When the play "ends" or there is a break in the action and a TO is requested/granted, do you T him up for leaving the court? He has purposely left, but not deceitfully left.
At best, you give him a violation for leaving the court. No way in hell I'm doing this.
And they're getting an injury timeout, they don't have to request one, once the action has ebbed. Call the injury time, tell coach to make his sub, and play on.
Old Mon Sep 29, 2008, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar
If the player is injured or ill, he has my authorization to leave.

Had one in a frosh game last year. From the lead I noticed the bench-side forward sprint out wide. Unusual, since there's no opponent there, but I've got other things to watch. Next thing I know, the kid is nowhere to be found. Turns out he was feeling sick, ran off the court, got 80% of the way to the trash can, and left a very unhealthy lunch all over the hardwood behind the bench.

If, for some reason, you were in a mind to penalize the player for leaving the floor, it would only be a violation. Leaving the floor is not a T.

The T is for a player who has been off the floor for a legitimate reason and purposefully and/or deceitfully delays returning. The only time I've ever called this was on a throw-in where the thrower moved along the end line while still OOB, then came onto the floor behind a screen and received an easy pass for an open shot.

Last edited by Back In The Saddle; Mon Sep 29, 2008 at 12:30pm.
Old Mon Sep 29, 2008, 04:07pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
Turns out he was feeling sick, ran off the court, got 80% of the way to the trash can, and left a very unhealthy lunch all over the hardwood behind the bench.
What's the mechanic for that? Wait - I don't want to know.
Old Mon Sep 29, 2008, 08:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Of course you don't. You wait to kill the play as you would for any other injury and then you stop the game at the apporpriate time. Team A can then sub for the injured player.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Sep 29, 2008, 09:00pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
If the player is injured or ill, he has my authorization to leave.

Had one in a frosh game last year. From the lead I noticed the bench-side forward sprint out wide. Unusual, since there's no opponent there, but I've got other things to watch. Next thing I know, the kid is nowhere to be found. Turns out he was feeling sick, ran off the court, got 80% of the way to the trash can, and left a very unhealthy lunch all over the hardwood behind the bench.
Ha! Years ago, I had a puker in a Varsity Boys game. He made it to the can.
I had an undeclared official stoppage.
Old Mon Sep 29, 2008, 10:07pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Times They Are A Changing ...

Quote:
A1 comes up lame and in pain holding his shoulder and is somewhat disoriented and walks off the court to the bench to get medical assistance.
"How Many Fingers Am I Holding Up ? Where Are You ?"

Imagine that it's February, 2008:
Trainer: "Who is the President of the United States?"
A1: "Miss East Oshkosh, 1984".
Trainer: "Coach, A1 has a grade II concussion. He is exhibiting confusion, and post-traumatic amnesia. We need to call an ambulance, and get him to the hospital as soon as possible"

Now imagine that it's February, 2009:
Trainer: "Who is the President of the United States?"
A1: "Miss Wasilla, 1984".
Trainer: "He's fine coach. Call a time out, and let's get him right back into the game."

Disclosure: No President, President-Elect, or Presidential Candidates, were harmed in the creation of this fictional scenario.

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Oct 01, 2008 at 06:35am.