The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 02, 2007, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

Double Technical - Player Disqualification

It's been a LONG week. Not only have I been fighting a cold, I scheduled myself to referee games (mostly high school, but a few adult league) this WHOLE week. Fortunately, my adult league games got cancelled giving a one day reprieve mid-week.

However, as it always seems to happen, when you get to your last game, those are always the hardest ones. My game saturday was a frosh/soph boys game with a lady partner I'd never worked with.

The game was a tough one. Both squads were not super talented but were about the same level. There was a lot of hard screens, hand checking, and bodies flying everywhere. Just based on the numbers I can vaguely remember, we must have called 35 to 40 fouls the whole game.

The double-technical/player disqualification scenario occurred with about 4 minutes left in the 4th quarter.

One of visiting squad's players (#5) was called for a blocking foul by my partner. As my partner went to report the foul, I noted that #5 was screaming mad (couldn't hear what he was saying as there were a lot of fans there for a frosh/soph game) and that he had to be restrained by his teammates.

I gave the kid a couple of seconds to see if he would cool down. The kid didn't cool down so I calmly issued a technical foul. The visiting coach then proceeded to sub the kid out to avoid further issues.

So, as I'm about to report the technical foul, I notice the kid TOOK OFF HIS JERSEY on the way to the bench. I immediately issued the second technical foul. All in all, the home squad shot six technical fouls (2 for the foul (double bonus), and 4 for the technicals). The visiting squad eventually won 49-46.

So, some things in my mind were:

1. Comments on the first technical? My partner and I talked about it after the game. She thought it was the right thing to do.

2. On the player disqualification: For some reason, I thought it meant the player should be moved off the bench. So I told the visiting team coaches to get the player off the bench. Obviously, in looking up the rule book, I was wrong. The player is disqualified to the bench.

So, my last question is: Is there any reason to dismiss "bench players" to the locker room? I kept poking around the rule book earlier and didn't see anything.

Look forward to people's comments.
Old Sun Dec 02, 2007, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

If you are talkng high school ball, you're better off to keep them on the bench or send an adult to the locker room with them. ( An adult from the team ) Anything could happen if they are alone. JMO
Old Sun Dec 02, 2007, 06:06pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Ejection

NFHS Casebook 10.5: "In an unusual situation, an official has the authority to require that these indivicuals who have committed a flagrant technical foul must leave the vicinity of the court. This action is neccessary when permitting such offenders to remain at courtside would tend to incite the crowd, to incite the opponents, or to subject the officials, opponents, or others administering the game, to unsporting harassment. In such circumstances, the official should require the individual who has committed the flagrant foul to leave the vicinity of the court with an adult supervisor. (10-5 Note 2)
Old Sun Dec 02, 2007, 07:30pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach41

The kid didn't cool down so I calmly issued a technical foul. The visiting coach then proceeded to sub the kid out to avoid further issues.

So, as I'm about to report the technical foul, I notice the kid TOOK OFF HIS JERSEY on the way to the bench. I immediately issued the second technical foul.

Look forward to people's comments.
Did you have a third technical foul too? An indirect technical foul charged to the visiting head coach?
Old Sun Dec 02, 2007, 07:35pm
Official Forum Member

JR,
If you reread the OP closely, it is unclear when the sub was allowed into the game. The OP says that he noticed the removal of the jersey as he was about to report the T for the unsporting behavior.

Personally, I would have reported the foul before allowing any substitutes. So perhaps an indirect to the coach is not appropriate here. Certainly the player had not yet been DQ'd as the official hadn't even reported his second T yet, let alone inform the coach.
Old Sun Dec 02, 2007, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Did you have a third technical foul too? An indirect technical foul charged to the visiting head coach?
To be clear, even if it was charged indiretly to the head coach, it wouldn't be a third technical foul.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 03:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
JR,
If you reread the OP closely, it is unclear when the sub was allowed into the game. The OP says that he noticed the removal of the jersey as he was about to report the T for the unsporting behavior.

Personally, I would have reported the foul before allowing any substitutes. So perhaps an indirect to the coach is not appropriate here. Certainly the player had not yet been DQ'd as the official hadn't even reported his second T yet, let alone inform the coach.
This is correct. As I can recall the sequence, I gave the player the first "T" and informed my partner. Then I went to the table to report the "T" and noticed that the player had been subbed out and also took his jersey off. That was when I issued the second "T" and ejected him.

After saturday's game, I realize why it is so important to be in control of the game and not let the "emotions" and other things overwhelm you personally.

I feel I am fairly calm during tense games but sometimes I get so locked in (ignoring the crowds, etc, etc) to "reffing the games" that I neglect the game management part of the games. I did better saturday in talking to players and coaches but obviously a few things I probably could have improved.

How do most of you keep yourselves locked into all you have to do as a ref? Is it through experience? Or is that something that can be learned?
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 03:57am
Official Forum Member

Honestly, it's can be learned and is just a matter of having been there and done it over and over many times. You'll get there. All of us still make mistakes.

So how did the sub get onto the court, if neither you nor your partner beckoned him in? Sounds as if you could have had yet another technical foul. Not that I would recommend making an issue out of that one.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach41

How do most of you keep yourselves locked into all you have to do as a ref? Is it through experience? Or is that something that can be learned?
Yes.

Yes, through experience.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref in PA
Yes.

Yes, through experience.
I agree. You definately learn through experience and repetition
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Stuff all sounds reasonable. I like the fact you gave the kid a chance to stop reacting, then took care of business.

One way to keep game management strong during technicals: your partner should come to you after you give a T, and state exactly what will happen from that point forward. They should take control and let you just ride along. Almost everyone gets a little pumped/goofy when they call a T, and can use help. If you called those 2 T's, I'd have grabbed you, and asked if you had a double T. I would have then said, "OK, we have the foul on white 12, then a double T on white 12. The sub is in the game. We're going to shoot 4 free throws for blue, then get the teams lined up for the one-and-one for blue. You go administrate the free throws to get away from that bench, and I'll stay back here. OK?"

You will learn to see the big picture by doing games. The fact you are being introspective about it is huge. You'll put those pieces together and improve in a hurry. Keep up the good work!
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 03:32pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOracle
If you called those 2 T's, I'd have grabbed you, and asked if you had a double T. I would have then said, "OK, we have the foul on white 12, then a double T on white 12. The sub is in the game. We're going to shoot 4 free throws for blue, then get the teams lined up for the one-and-one for blue. You go administrate the free throws to get away from that bench, and I'll stay back here. OK?"
Speaking NF, wouldn't the 1&1 be shot first, followed by the technical foul free throws, and then a throw-in? (What you posted appears to be true for NCAA)

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man
Speaking NF, wouldn't the 1&1 be shot first, followed by the technical foul free throws, and then a throw-in? (What you posted appears to be true for NCAA)
Correct, for NFHS you'd shoot the 1&1 w/ lane cleared, then 4 technical FTs, then ball out at division line for offended team.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOracle
One way to keep game management strong during technicals: your partner should come to you after you give a T, and state exactly what will happen from that point forward.
I don't want my partner coming over and telling me what is going to happen after any of my calls. I already know. I made the d@mn call!

If I want their input of help, I will go to them. Also, I don't feel the need to run away from a coach after T'ing him. I hate it when a partner comes running over and thinks that I need to leave after a T. The official on the other side of the floor has no idea what caused the T. Most of my Ts are actually because the coach is upset with my partner and I am protecting their back. Now the official that the coach is upset with has come right over into the fire.

I pregame that we leave the decision up to the calling official. If he wants to leave that area, he just walks to the opposite side of the floor and someone else fills in. If that official is okay to stay, then he stays put.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 06:55pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Don't Run Away

From Nevadaref: "I don't feel the need to run away from a coach after T'ing him. I hate it when a partner comes running over and thinks that I need to leave after a T."

I agree. After a simple player disqualification (5 fouls), our IAABO mechanics require that the non calling official inform the coach that the player has been disqualified. I hate that mechanic. It makes it look like I'm afraid of the coach. In my pregame, I tell my partner that under normaL circumstances, if I'm the calling official, I will tell the coach that his or her player is disqualified, unless I believe that my presence near the coach will lead to a technical foul on the coach, in which case I will ask my partner to inform the coach about the disqualification. Same thing for a technical foul that will lead to the coach losing his or her coaching box privilege. If I make the call, I will tell the coach, again, unless my leaving can prevent a second technical foul. In twenty-six years of officiaiting, I've never handed this off to my partner, but, neverthless, I may need my partner's help someday.