The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 20, 2001, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Our local rec-league has the following rules concerning a player technical: ( http://fbva-west.org/Pubs/rules.htm )

Technical Fouls (Unsportsmanlike Conduct) & Ejections: Whenever a player receives a technical foul, the player shall be benched for a portion of time to teach better sportsmanship.

Here's the sitch: You have a player (A) who is fouled while in the act of shooting. Player A then drops a couple of obscenities and is rung up for unsportsmanlike conduct. By rule this player shall be benched for a portion of time. Who shoots the throws? I think I know the answer, but would like to hear it from you.

Thanks
Mike
Old Fri Apr 20, 2001, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

I'd say this follows the normal rule for designated FT shooter needing to be replaced (whether for injury, blood rule, DQ, etc). This situation, I would treat as a disqualification, and the sub shoots the free throws.

On a side note, how long is the "period of time," and if not set, who determines it?
Old Fri Apr 20, 2001, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Since A is not eligible to play until he has served his
sentence then it only makes sense that A's replacement would
shoot the free throws.
Old Fri Apr 20, 2001, 02:12pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Since A is not eligible to play until he has served his
sentence then it only makes sense that A's replacement would
shoot the free throws.
Yeah, that'll work.
mick
Old Fri Apr 20, 2001, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
I'd say this follows the normal rule for designated FT shooter needing to be replaced (whether for injury, blood rule, DQ, etc). This situation, I would treat as a disqualification, and the sub shoots the free throws.

On a side note, how long is the "period of time," and if not set, who determines it?
Is this kind of like the penalty box in hockey?????
Old Fri Apr 20, 2001, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I interpret the "portion of time" to mean that time would have to run off the clock. The player would be allowed to substitute at the next dead ball. The same as we would for any player that must leave the contest due to injury, blood rule, etc....
Old Wed Apr 25, 2001, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Burns
Quote:

I interpret the "portion of time" to mean that time would have to run off the clock. The player would be allowed to substitute at the next dead ball. The same as we would for any player that must leave the contest due to injury, blood rule, etc....
I am surprised they don't define it better. In our county rec department's men's soccer league (a very competitive league with a lot of rough play), a yellow card is accompanied by a 5 minute cooling off period by rule. The penalized team may sub in (unlike for a red card). However, the time is clearly defined in the rule. Good intent on this rule in my book, but bad definition. Should specify a time. If I were you, I would determine a period of time (2 minutes sounds about right to me!) rather than allowing the player right back in. Just my thoughts.
Old Wed Apr 25, 2001, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

A Technical in lacrosse is 30 seconds...
Old Wed Apr 25, 2001, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
[Good intent on this rule in my book, but bad definition. Should specify a time. If I were you, I would determine a period of time (2 minutes sounds about right to me!) rather than allowing the player right back in. Just my thoughts. [/B]
I will mention this to the Board.

Defining the period of time would be beneficial. That way the player, coach, officials and parents would know that the player would have to sit for the specified amount of time to run off the clock.

Well, the officials would know anyway.