The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 21, 2001, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to KennyY
A1 puts a fake and leaves B1 helpless. A1 puts in an easy layup. B1 is frustrated with himself and, as the ball is falling slowly through a tight net, B1 leaps and slams the net and rim and ball -- sending the ball back up through the rim. This is in an 18-over recreational league.

What would you consider before issuing a technical foul or issuing a delay of game warning?

Kenny
Old Wed Mar 21, 2001, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

His immediate response after he whacks the ball. It's understandable for a player to get upset at himself, and all players are going to express a little emotion. Assuming that's all he does, with no vulgarity or extra escessive body language, I'd whack him with nothing more than defensive basket interference. No foul, no penealty, and no slow down in game tempo.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2001, 08:04am
Suppref

Thumbs up I agreee

Quote:
Originally posted by Danvrapp
His immediate response after he whacks the ball. It's understandable for a player to get upset at himself, and all players are going to express a little emotion. Assuming that's all he does, with no vulgarity or extra escessive body language, I'd whack him with nothing more than defensive basket interference. No foul, no penealty, and no slow down in game tempo.
If B1 does not make a travesty of the situation, Count the goal and move on!!
Old Thu Mar 22, 2001, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
Question

What if B1 does make a travesty? Shouldn't you call the play the same whether a player makes noise or not? Do you only call travels and fouls when the Coaches care?!?
Old Thu Mar 22, 2001, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think this warranted a T. You need to use good judgement on the floor and issues T's when needed, not becuase you can. Call the BI and move on.

Now, if he is cursing or otherwise showing up the opponet or official, then drop the hammer, but don't go looking for a T.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2001, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Watson
I don't think this warranted a T. You need to use good judgement on the floor and issues T's when needed, not becuase you can. Call the BI and move on.

Now, if he is cursing or otherwise showing up the opponet or official, then drop the hammer, but don't go looking for a T.
Oh, I agree with you totally. I just don't think I would give a T if B1 is throwing a fit either. If he throws too much of a fit at me he may be the one getting the T though.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2001, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dhodges007
What if B1 does make a travesty? Shouldn't you call the play the same whether a player makes noise or not? Do you only call travels and fouls when the Coaches care?!?
Unsportsmanlike behavior changes the play completely.

Travels, OOB's are easy to call - either the player travelled or he didn't.

Fouls (and T's especially) are murkier, and that is where the official's judgement comes into play.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2001, 06:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think Suppref was refering to a sitch where, say, the player slammed the ball and it bounced to the ceiling.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Mar 23, 2001, 08:01am
Suppref

Thumbs up Exactly

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
I think Suppref was refering to a sitch where, say, the player slammed the ball and it bounced to the ceiling.
Sorry If I was unclear. We are all taught not to be resposible for the outcome of a game, and the best officials are the ones that are not noticed. If the player doesn't try to show me up, as in ths situation noted then I may have a private chat with him or maybe even nothing.