The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 28, 2004, 07:25am
Official Forum Member

Question

I was ask by a coach and AD to interprate a rule for them.
Here is the situation: Player A1 was assessed a technical foul for leaving the court. A2 set a pick for A1 in an effort to get around the pick he ran out of bounds and came back in on the other side of the court. Later on during the course of the game A1 was assessed another technical foul for cursing at the referee. My question is would the combination of those two techs disqualify that player for the remainder of the game. I told the coach and AD that it would.
Old Tue Dec 28, 2004, 07:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ugr001
I was ask by a coach and AD to interprate a rule for them.
Here is the situation: Player A1 was assessed a technical foul for leaving the court. A2 set a pick for A1 in an effort to get around the pick he ran out of bounds and came back in on the other side of the court. Later on during the course of the game A1 was assessed another technical foul for cursing at the referee. My question is would the combination of those two techs disqualify that player for the remainder of the game. I told the coach and AD that it would.
Yes, the player would be DQ'd -- any two direct Ts earns a trip to the bench.

Old Tue Dec 28, 2004, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

Just one more reason why I think the penalty for leaving the court is too severe.
Old Tue Dec 28, 2004, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
Just one more reason why I think the penalty for leaving the court is too severe.
Don't curse at the official and you won't be DQ'd
Old Tue Dec 28, 2004, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BBall_Junkie
Quote:
Good point - cursing in general out of frustration is a T, but directly cursing the official would possibly be a flagrant in my book, depending on what exactly was said and how it was said.
Old Tue Dec 28, 2004, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to joseph2493
Quote:
Originally posted by TimTaylor
Quote:
Quote:
Good point - cursing in general out of frustration is a T, but directly cursing the official would possibly be a flagrant in my book, depending on what exactly was said and how it was said.

To many officials ignore the non aggresive cursing, like when the player is fussing at his/herself.

If we let that go how can we expect the players not to use that language when talking to us
Old Tue Dec 28, 2004, 01:43pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by joseph2493
Quote:
Originally posted by TimTaylor
Quote:
Quote:

To many officials ignore the non aggresive cursing, like when the player is fussing at his/herself.

If we let that go how can we expect the players not to use that language when talking to us
I can cuss at the bar with the best of them, but I manage to not cuss when talking to my wife, boss, other people, etc.
Old Tue Dec 28, 2004, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

If we let that go how can we expect the players not to use that language when talking to us [/B][/QUOTE]

I can cuss at the bar with the best of them, but I manage to not cuss when talking to my wife, boss, other people, etc. [/B][/QUOTE]

True, but I'm sure you even slip every so often?

I'm not trying to warant their behavier, I agree that it could even constitute a flagrant "T" if said in the right manner. All I'm saying is that we let it go way to often.
Old Tue Dec 28, 2004, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Is the Technical Foul here DIRECT or INDIRECT? If so, is the player still ejected ?

NCAA changed the rule so that leaving the court is a violation rather than an indirect T.

Further, you're only ejected after accumulating:

-Two direct T's
-Three indirect T's
-Two indirect T's and one direct or intentional T
-One direct T and one intentional T

Is the Fed rule a bit different?

Seems way too harsh to (1) give the player a direct technical foul for leaving the court and (2) eject a player for accumulating an indirect and direct T.

[Edited by canuckrefguy on Dec 28th, 2004 at 02:18 PM]
Old Tue Dec 28, 2004, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by canuckrefguy
Is the Technical Foul here DIRECT or INDIRECT? If so, is the player still ejected ?

NCAA changed the rule so that leaving the court is a violation rather than an indirect T.

Further, you can't be ejected for getting an indirect T combined with a direct T

Is the Fed rule a bit different?

Seems way too harsh to (1) give the player a direct technical foul for leaving the court and (2) eject a player for accumulating an indirect and direct T.
It is a direct technical for a player to leave the court without permission.

There is no way for a player to receive an indirect T in NFHS
Old Tue Dec 28, 2004, 02:23pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

I can cuss at the bar with the best of them, but I manage to not cuss when talking to my wife, boss, other people, etc. [/B][/QUOTE]

True, but I'm sure you even slip every so often?

I'm not trying to warant their behavier, I agree that it could even constitute a flagrant "T" if said in the right manner. All I'm saying is that we let it go way to often. [/B][/QUOTE]

Why? I don't consider myself to be the profanity police. What's profane to one person may not be profane to the next. Define profanity.

Old Tue Dec 28, 2004, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Why? I don't consider myself to be the profanity police. What's profane to one person may not be profane to the next. Define profanity.

[/B][/QUOTE]

That's the beauty of interpretation.

Mine and yours may be and seem to be totally different.

I'm not trying to be the profanity police, but if they say it loud enough for the 5 year old in the stands hears it, don't you think it needs to be addressed.

Well, maybe the coach needs to address the problem, but how often does that actually happen.

I'm not trying to start a riot here or on the court, just expressing my opinion.
Old Tue Dec 28, 2004, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Okay, I get it. Would you guys prefer there was a distinction between what the NCAA considers "minor" and "major" technical fouls?
Old Tue Dec 28, 2004, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

Okay, I get it. Would you guys prefer there was a distinction between what the NCAA considers "minor" and "major" technical fouls?
There are ways for a coach to get an indirect under Fed, for instance if bench personnel receives a direct T then the coach would receive an indirect T
Old Tue Dec 28, 2004, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

I would like to eliminate "minor" technical fouls. Do away with the T for going oob, dunking in warm up, administrative stuff, maybe a few others.