Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 25, 2008, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Question Your Associations Meetings

Just a couple of questions:
  1. How long are your board meetings when you have them?
  2. How do you handle taking attendance (Before or After Meetings)
  3. How do you handle people who talk during the meetings (Disrupting)
I am just trying to get some insight on how we can better streamline our meetings and make them productive as well.

Thanks.
Old Thu Sep 25, 2008, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2 View Post
I am just trying to get some insight on how we can better streamline our meetings and make them productive as well.

Thanks.
I can't answer your first question b/c I'm not on our association's board. All other meetings tend to last around 60 or 90 minutes.

2. We have a signup sheet w/ everyone's name. When you walk in the door to the meeting, there's a table w/ that sign-in sheet and you have to sign your name and state ID number.

3. We really don't have that problem. There may be a side convo or two going on but it's never somethign disruptive that you can really hear.
Old Thu Sep 25, 2008, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

As far as association meetings, it depends on your state's particular requirements. Most states require 10 hours of in season study at association meetings. It then depends on how many meetings you have scheduled for the year. If you have 5 meetings scheduled for the year then the meetings are going to be 2 hours long.

Board meetings last as long as it takes to cover association business, sometimes long, sometimes short.

People talking is always going to be a concern, but you've got to deal it. Perhaps a quiz at the end of the meeting that is used in the evaluation process.

I am aware of some associations that have their association meetings via the web.

Last edited by icallfouls; Thu Sep 25, 2008 at 09:46am. Reason: text
Old Thu Sep 25, 2008, 10:14am
Ch1town

Our meetings tend to last anywhere from an hour to an hour & 45 minutes.

At the end of the meetings we take a 5 question quiz which is used for attendance.

Disruptive talking... well that happens unfortunatley. I try to get there early & get a good seat up front to make sure I hear all the content clearly.
Old Thu Sep 25, 2008, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Ditto the previous commentors that the following apply to association meetings and not Board-only meetings:
  1. Ours run from 2 - 2.5 hours. We usually have 1 hour of general meeting for all members then split into experienced/first-year for the balance of the meeting.
  2. A sheet gets passed around at the beginning of the meeting where you put your initials.
  3. This is actually kind of interesting because the president of our association said quite pointedly that this is an avocation not vocation. Phone calls and interruptions are to be expected but please take them outside so as not to disrupt the meeting (i.e., displaying general courtesy).
Old Thu Sep 25, 2008, 11:05am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallfouls View Post
As far as association meetings, it depends on your state's particular requirements. Most states require 10 hours of in season study at association meetings. It then depends on how many meetings you have scheduled for the year. If you have 5 meetings scheduled for the year then the meetings are going to be 2 hours long.

Board meetings last as long as it takes to cover association business, sometimes long, sometimes short.

People talking is always going to be a concern, but you've got to deal it. Perhaps a quiz at the end of the meeting that is used in the evaluation process.

I am aware of some associations that have their association meetings via the web.
Most states? If you're going to make a statement like that (and not just say "my state") you should have data to back that up.

We are not required to even belong to an association in Wisconsin. That said, I belong to 3 and participate in 2 of them regularly.
Old Thu Sep 25, 2008, 11:23am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2 View Post

Thanks.
  1. An hour or two.
  2. Sign in sheet (not a requirement to sign in).
  3. This is mainly up to the speaker, but if people are being disruptive we have people (board members, clinicians, members) that might speak up.

Peace
Old Thu Sep 25, 2008, 11:27am
Keeper of the HAMMER

1. I've usually had meetings that lasted an hour; not sure about my new association.
2. Usually just a sheet passed around the room at my last association. IIRC, they actually took roll in Iowa.
3. With adults, it's normally sufficient just to remind them that the more quickly we move the sooner they can go home. Is this really a problem some places?
Old Thu Sep 25, 2008, 11:29am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallfouls View Post

I have to agree with some other statements. I do not know where you got the "most states" impression from. I have never heard too many states that are alike in the way the license officials, let alone how they deal with associations. As a matter of fact, I am no a committee that runs a conference in my state and we have state associations represented every year. I have hardly seen too many states that even have the same approach to officiating or how officials are dealt with on all kinds of issues. And I know we have had Oregon, Colorado, Kentucky, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, and California (There might be a few more) and I could not say that each of these states had the same approach.

Peace
Old Thu Sep 25, 2008, 11:35am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Colorado requires attendance at several local association meetings to be eligible for playoffs. All hs assignments are done through association assigners.

Iowa does not even require association membership; although in certain conferences it is required to get any games. Other conferences get assignments differently (some like college conferences, with an assigner not affiliated with an association, others have the individual ADs make the assignments.)
Old Thu Sep 25, 2008, 12:56pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Is this really a problem some places?
Unfortunately it is in the OP's case. The past president actually walked out of a meeting once because the talking was so disruptive.
Old Thu Sep 25, 2008, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Perhaps we need to learn to talk at meetings using only short phrases too?
Old Thu Sep 25, 2008, 01:48pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Unfortunately it is in the OP's case. The past president actually walked out of a meeting once because the talking was so disruptive.
Wow! You'd think, with adults, it shouldn't be a problem. Good grief.
Old Thu Sep 25, 2008, 01:55pm
Do not give a damn!!

That is a big problem? Wow!!

Peace
Old Thu Sep 25, 2008, 02:01pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
Perhaps we need to learn to talk at meetings using only short phrases too?
Maybe they could start speaking in binary?