The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 29, 1999, 01:49am
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

Hello, We have been looking for new ideas to spice up our association meetings for high school basketball officials. If anyone has a good idea please forward on the information to me. We are looking for topical discussion, meeting formats, and just good ideas that can keep everyone interested in the discussion. Thanks.

Brent
Old Wed Dec 29, 1999, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Some of the meetings we have had receintly or about to have.

Next meeting will be at an NCAA Div I game. Special speakers will be the officials working the game. So not only do we here their theory of officiating, we see them put it into practice.

Last meeting. Make up questions and type them up and pass them out to groups scattered around the room. Take 5 to 10 minutes and have them research the question. Then come back together and go through each question and have someone from the group read the question with the consensus answer.

We have had special speakers who of course are Div 1 officials both mens and womens. They are usually trying to promote a camp along with their talk. We had a sports psychologist from the US olympic training center. That was fun. As he talked about focus and mental preparation. He gave us some exercises to do to train the mind to function while the whole world watches. Top coaches from the area explaining critical parts of the game and what they are expecting the officials to be watching for. You could even have a panel discussion of several coaches from the area.
Old Thu Dec 30, 1999, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Over the years, we have tried several different programs to maintain interest and yet, be a learning experience. I'll tell you what has been the most successful for the past several years in our local association meetings.

We allow our supervisors 10-15 minutes (maximum) to discuss whatever subject they need to address. After that, we have organized discussions with different officials (of the association) leading the way. Their subject has already been selected days before, and they are expected to have 'full' knowledge of the subject material.

These 'speakers' will have 5-8 minutes to explain rules, mechanics, points of emphasis, or officiating philosophy. Then, they'll answer questions from the group.

Our members tend to pay closer attention to their 'peers'. It seems they listen closer to make sure the speaker doesn't say anything wrong. The speaker, on the other hand, tends to prepare themselves better knowing the challenge that is ahead of them.

We select younger officials along with the older ones. Each meeting we'll have all geographic areas represented by a 'speaker'. The supervisors oversees the discussion and will throw-out any unwarranted or bizarre questions.

Also, each mmeting we'll spend a few minutes on the floor covering mechanics. Again, utilizing our officials. The key element, and it's easier said than done, is ORGANIZATION. Keep the meeting moving and discuss several subjects at each meeting.

Since we incorporated this procedure, we have had better attendance and our discussions have been thought-provoking. The feedback has been all positive and I think we have officials that actually look forward to the meetings. It wasn't that long ago when most of our officials considered the meetings an inconvenience.

One other key element, keep ALL discussions about mechanics and rule interpretations on the high school level. While we have several people working at all levels of NCAA, we are a High School association. Not that we discourage the college guys/gals, we fully endorse them. But, they don't discuss H.S. at their college meetings! But remember, alot of the basic philosophical ideas are identical whether its jr. pro, jr. high, high school, or college.

Best of luck.........
Old Thu Dec 30, 1999, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by bjones on 12-29-1999 12:49 PM
Hello, We have been looking for new ideas to spice up our association meetings for high school basketball officials. If anyone has a good idea please forward on the information to me. We are looking for topical discussion, meeting formats, and just good ideas that can keep everyone interested in the discussion. Thanks.

Brent

How about "Rules and Cases Jeopardy?"

Old Thu Dec 30, 1999, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
KDM, I agree that College and HS are separate games. We bring in the Div I guys for two reasons. 1) This is what most of us are shooting for. 2) Most of the philosophy is the same. They come primarily to promote their camps. We often have them say things that do only pertain to college and someone who knows the difference will have to stand up and correct the situation. Example. One Div I official said that the game is for the coaches. Well maybe in college. In HS it is still for the kids. It was the next meeting before it was corrected.