The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 16, 2004, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

As a white hat, I'm looking to make a laminated card or two of things to go over in pre-game meetings. Specifically the three C's.

Crew
Coaches
Captains

What are typical things you guys cover when talking with these three groups of people before the game starts? I've found in the past that if I want to cover 5 things with a coach, I'll remember 4 of them while talking and the other one in about the 2nd quarter.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks
Old Mon Aug 16, 2004, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think a couple of cards are going to do the trick. For my crew, I have a pregame that I have developed through the years in notebook form. It covers the complete game, from entering the field to leaving after the game is over. Meeting with coaches, pre-game field duties, coin toss, running game, passing, kicking, penalty enforcement, between quarters, measurements, and so on.It goes for around 35-40 minutes, not including time in the car(we mostly travel together).
For coaches and captains, we try to keep it short and sweet. They are rather busy and we don't want to take much of their time. I give the coach a game card with our names and positions. Then I ask, 1. Is your team legally equiped? 2.Do you have a designated medical authority? 3. Who are your captains? 4. Any unusual plays that he runs that we need to be concerned with? 5. Any questions for us?
At the coin toss I will tell the captains that they are responsible for their players on the field. If we have a penalty I will ask for them, and if they are not sure of their options, don't be afraid to ask me to repeat. We want to make sure we get it right for them. Then I ask the visiting captain if he wants heads or tails, and we are off. Hope this helps. Each guy is different in the way he may present his pregame, but my philosophy is long with your crew and short with coaches and players.
Old Wed Aug 18, 2004, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

As for talking with the coaches I have a list of subjects laminated to the folder in which I carry my game card. I have it out write down captain's numbers so the coaches don't really even know I am using it as a cheat sheet. Based on the rules we use Kansas there are more items to cover based on playoff qualifications later in the year and I have to remember them but there are many things which are valid year a round.
Old Thu Aug 19, 2004, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim S Send a message via AIM to Jim S
I have also have a small binder with actually three different pre-games.
1. "Normal" pre-game. This has a fairly extensive pre-game that covers everything that we consider to be important. I have it in a Word Form doc where I have spots that I can insert 'special emphasis' for that game. ie: new rules or interpretations, special situations that have come up, etc. I can then print out the couple of pges just for that game. I use this one most since I work with a lot of the younger officials (no set crew).
2. A less extensive one for use with a more experienced crew.
3. End of the season one. The last couple of games. Just enough to get people's mind into the game and set how we're working together. A 'memory jogger'.

I also have a pouch for rulebooks, pencils, the coach's evealuation cards that we give to each head coach. There is also a clear page cover with all the stadium or school addresses, phone numbers, and map book references. Another for a regional map that the newspaper printed a couple of years ago that shows all the stadiums in the Greater Seattle area. And a third with the names of all the head coaches. (Reminds me, I need to update that one. Lot of newer coaches.) Coaches love it when you greet them by name.
And when we head for the field I also carry the "cheat sheet" card.

Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2!
Old Thu Aug 19, 2004, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Jim would you mind sending me your pre-game in Word Format? If not, please e-mail it to [email protected]. I appreciate it!
Old Fri Aug 20, 2004, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by eventnyc
Jim would you mind sending me your pre-game in Word Format? If not, please e-mail it to [email protected]. I appreciate it!
As well for me to: [email protected]

Thanks Greatly!
Old Fri Aug 20, 2004, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Don't leave me off the list!!

If you choose to send it, thanks in adavance.

[email protected]
Old Fri Aug 20, 2004, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Will host a link for easy grab if you'd like. Let me know [email protected]
Old Fri Aug 20, 2004, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

You can buy a Pre-game guide from Honig's, which was authored by Dick Honig himself. It is geared for the 7 man crew, but easily adaptable for smaller crews. I bought one and like it!!
Old Fri Aug 20, 2004, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Referee Magazine also has some very good books that include a pregame. I had the Referee Football Guidebook. The book goes into detail on what to do and who to talk to.
Old Fri Aug 20, 2004, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim S Send a message via AIM to Jim S
Will send to you guys as soon as I can modify for the new Free kick. Also have to do bit of reformatting. Changed to a new computer, and version of Word since last year and some of the sentences don't line up properly. Should be able to get at it early next week.

Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2!