The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Sep 13, 2008, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Did I shoot myself in the foot?

I have a nice schedule this year including many good JV teams. I have turned down offers to ref at the varsity level do to my lack of experience. I am only in my fourth year of officiating basketball and I don't feel I am ready for the varsity games yet. I hope I am not making a mistake by not taking the V games. I would think the AD's would understand and appreciate my honesty. What do you guys think?
Old Sat Sep 13, 2008, 05:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

You are the only one that really knows if you feel ready or not. I would not say you shot yourself in the foot, you may have stuck a needle it in. You might have made the person giving you the opportunity pause for the next time fairly or not.

Finally, I would say that if you do not feel you are ready, you will never feel completely ready until you work one of those games. Even when you feel you know what you need to, until you have done it several times, you will not feel comfortable. It is kind of like riding a bike without training wheels. You will never know until you take the training wheels off if you can ride without them.

Peace
Old Sat Sep 13, 2008, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

I agree, you'll know. I also think that as soon as you get the inkling, go for it. The only place to really learn is on the court at that level, no amount of jv will totally get you ready for varsity. My area uses assignors, so they have a tendency to work younger officials into the various levels. Maybe you can start with some of the "not-so" competitive varsity games in your area.
Old Sat Sep 13, 2008, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

You'll improve more quickly if you work with better officials.

No matter when you start working varsity, it's going to be an adjustment.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Sep 14, 2008, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
You are the only one that really knows if you feel ready or not. I would not say you shot yourself in the foot, you may have stuck a needle it in. You might have made the person giving you the opportunity pause for the next time fairly or not.

Finally, I would say that if you do not feel you are ready, you will never feel completely ready until you work one of those games. Even when you feel you know what you need to, until you have done it several times, you will not feel comfortable. It is kind of like riding a bike without training wheels. You will never know until you take the training wheels off if you can ride without them.

Peace
Explain to your assignor why you are not accepting the games.
Old Sun Sep 14, 2008, 04:01pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
It should also make you feel good that your Assignor thinks highly enough of you to believe you ARE ready.
Old Sun Sep 14, 2008, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

I think you also have to ask yourself what "ready for varsity" really means. I think it means that you are good enough to get your foot in the door and begin at the "ground floor" at that level. That you have the minimal skills to begin working some varsity games. And that your assigner or the AD's believe that you'll continue progressing, while not screwing up the game in the process.

Just my $0.02
Old Sun Sep 14, 2008, 05:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

I agree.

Peace
Old Sun Sep 14, 2008, 09:47pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Last season was my fifth season and I was moved up to varsity. I worked with better officials. After the first couple of games, I adjusted to what turned out to be a better level of play and an easier game to call. I was able to work on some of the 'finer points' of the game. And I am looking forward to working this upcoming season. You never know whether or not you are ready until you are there working. Does not mean you have 'arrived', but it does mean that you have confidence in your abilities. Your ability to call a game at that level. And your ability to still learn from others who have more experience than you do.
Old Sun Sep 14, 2008, 09:55pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Easy Does It ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
I was moved up to varsity. I worked with better officials. After the first couple of games, I adjusted to what turned out to be a better level of play and an easier game to call.
An easier game to call? You got that right brother. I still enjoy doing fifth grade Catholic school games when I'm available, as well as my full high school varsity schedule. My Friday night high school varsity game is almost always at least ten times easier to call, mentally, that is, than my Saturday morning Catholic school game the next morning. I enjoy them both, but the younger kids, with their developing skills, are always a challenge.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Sep 14, 2008, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsblanton
I have a nice schedule this year including many good JV teams. I have turned down offers to ref at the varsity level do to my lack of experience. I am only in my fourth year of officiating basketball and I don't feel I am ready for the varsity games yet. I hope I am not making a mistake by not taking the V games. I would think the AD's would understand and appreciate my honesty. What do you guys think?

If you don't feel ready for Varsity stay at JV for a while longer. Better for you and everybody to be ready and waiting than not ready and in over your head.
Old Sun Sep 14, 2008, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

If you work two man on the JV level and two man on the varsity level in your area I think you made a mistake. Someone thought you had the ability to work the game.
If it jumps to three man at varsity in your area, my question would be, when will you ever be ready if you only work two man. If varsity is your goal jump in. In your first games you'll be far more worried about where you are than calling the game but have a good pre game with your partners and go for it.

"Do something that scares you a little bit everyday"
Old Sat Sep 20, 2008, 01:05am
Official Forum Member

Maybe it's just me, but I'd take as many varsity games as possible. As someone else said, varsity is easier to call for me than a lot of junior high or freshman games. The faster you start doing varsity games the better you'll get.