The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 07, 2003, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Can anyone help with a rule or casebook reference?

B1 whacked. Coach A wants to sub A6 to shoot Ts. Coach B challenges (no, he didn't throw the red beanbag) by saying that the recent rule change says that we can't have any subs before the last FT, except for DQ.

I had to think about it for a sec, but I told him since we didn't have a designated FTer, then that rule doesn't apply.

Using the "intent" application, pretty sure I got it right, but couldn't find a refrence that might apply.

Anyone?
Old Fri Feb 07, 2003, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

From the NCAA book:

Rule 10, Section 8, Article 1.

"The penalty for a direct technical foul involving unsporting conduct of bench personnel or followers shall be two free throws to any member of the offended team." (my italics)

I believe player can sub in to shoot FT's, but he can't sub out until the clock moves at least one tick.
Old Fri Feb 07, 2003, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by canuckrefguy
From the NCAA book:

Rule 10, Section 8, Article 1.

"The penalty for a direct technical foul involving unsporting conduct of bench personnel or followers shall be two free throws to any member of the offended team." (my italics)

I believe player can sub in to shoot FT's, but he can't sub out until the clock moves at least one tick.
Thanks.

btw - Shooter CAN sub out after FT, just not by the same player that came out. A6 for A1, A7 for A6, A1 has to wait the tick.
Old Fri Feb 07, 2003, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Not only that, but A6 subs for A1 and shoots the first throw, then A7 can sub for A6 and shoot the 2nd throw, then A8 can sub for A7 before the ball is inbounded.

It's in the NFHS case book. Happy dinging.
Old Fri Feb 07, 2003, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
Originally posted by TriggerMN
Not only that, but A6 subs for A1 and shoots the first throw, then A7 can sub for A6 and shoot the 2nd throw, then A8 can sub for A7 before the ball is inbounded.
...but A1, A6, and A7 can't come back in until time runs off the clock.
Old Fri Feb 07, 2003, 05:24pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb They can sub at anytime.

Quote:
Originally posted by Lotto
Quote:
That is not true Lotto. A player can come off the bench to shoot a Technical at anytime. The game could not start and if there was a T called during the pregame for dunking, a non-starter can come off the bench and shoot the FTs. The Casebook has these examples.

Peace
Old Fri Feb 07, 2003, 05:56pm
In Memoriam

Re: They can sub at anytime.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Originally posted by Lotto
Quote:
That is not true Lotto. A player can come off the bench to shoot a Technical at anytime. The game could not start and if there was a T called during the pregame for dunking, a non-starter can come off the bench and shoot the FTs. The Casebook has these examples.

Peace
Lotto is 100% correct by rule.The rule specifically is R3-3-4. Lotto was referring to players who have been substituted out of the game not being able to legally return until time has run off the clock.