The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 07, 2008, 12:30pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

GPS question

Okay, I'm looking at maybe getting a GPS (such as Magellan). I've got a question, though. I currently pay $10/month to use the VZ Navigator with my cell phone (verizon). Is there a subscription you need to pay for the GPS systems?
Old Sun Sep 07, 2008, 12:49pm
Lighten up, Francis.

No subscription for my Garmin. Some Garmin units are capable of getting live traffic information, which does require a subscription.
Old Sun Sep 07, 2008, 12:53pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

That's what I was starting to wonder. I'd assumed there was a subscription service required, but was starting to question my assumptions.
Old Sun Sep 07, 2008, 01:15pm
Do not give a damn!!

I bought a Navigon 7100 last fall. I do not have to pay for any traffic subscription. I love all the options the Navigon has. It was a little more expensive at the time, but without paying subscriptions and being able to update software, I love this device. Most schools and popular locations are clearly listed.

Peace
Old Sun Sep 07, 2008, 01:53pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
I've got a Garmin (no subscription for traffic). I listen to the radio while I dirive and if I ever hear of, or come upon, traffic that looks like a problem, I just hit the "detour" option and the Garmin maps me a new route. Been a life saver several times.....and sure beats a map (although I still do have maps in my vehicles too).
Old Sun Sep 07, 2008, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

My wife has a Tom Tom that my mother-in-law gave her and I hate it. In the city it will actually have you turn and drive one block east, then turn and go one block north, then have you turn and go one block west to get where you would have been if you had gone one block straight ahead in the first place. I has also taken her miles out of the way on trips. She had to call me once to get her back to the right highway exit to keep from driving 25 - 30 miles father west to pick the same interstate hwy.
Old Sun Sep 07, 2008, 02:12pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev
My wife has a Tom Tom that my mother-in-law gave her and I hate it. In the city it will actually have you turn and drive one block east, then turn and go one block north, then have you turn and go one block west to get where you would have been if you had gone one block straight ahead in the first place. I has also taken her miles out of the way on trips. She had to call me once to get her back to the right highway exit to keep from driving 25 - 30 miles father west to pick the same interstate hwy.
There's probably an infinite number of ways that this could happen.
Old Sun Sep 07, 2008, 02:33pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Bang The Drum Slowly ...

Quote:
My wife has a Tom Tom that my mother-in-law gave her and I hate it.
My Tom Tom works great. No batteries. No subscription. Portable. Easy to use.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Sep 07, 2008 at 02:35pm.
Old Sun Sep 07, 2008, 02:36pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I would always suggest that you do not completely rely on these devices. The main thing these GPS devices do is help you do is put you in the area and give you decent directions. I do not use my GPS for primary directions to places I know where I am going. I also like to take certain routes because I know they are quicker or easier to get in and out of places. I use it primarily for the many places I go that I have never been there or I am not familiar with the surroundings. This alone has paid for itself because I even have an idea of out long it will take me to get to these places. It takes out the panic I would have when I was not aware of where I am going. Sometimes the directions are just as bad as you get from Google, but at least you have some idea of where you are. And the device will adjust for you when you make a mistake.

Peace
Old Sun Sep 07, 2008, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Hmmm...I'm curious...do you have any problems when you use the device?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Sep 07, 2008, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Sometimes the directions are just as bad as you get from Google,
That's because there are only something like 2 or 3 mapping companies (providing the data) and 2 or 3 software companies (how to get from one spot to the next).

The rest is just the "packaging" and various bells and whistles.
Old Sun Sep 07, 2008, 07:09pm
Esteemed Forum Member

At Least I'm Usually Only Slightly Off Topic ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
In the future, if Forum members complain that I post too many off topic images, I'll direct them to this post. Mark Padgett, and moderators: Please do not delete this post, I need it for evidence.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Sep 07, 2008 at 07:48pm.
Old Sun Sep 07, 2008, 08:37pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Talking

There's WNBA officiating going on right now and all we can talk about are GPS units?

BOOORRRING. . . . . .
Old Sun Sep 07, 2008, 11:31pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Why ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
All we can talk about are GPS units?

Old Mon Sep 08, 2008, 05:07am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
There's WNBA officiating going on right now and all we can talk about are GPS units?

BOOORRRING. . . . . .
Does anyone really watch that?