The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 02, 2008, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Come backs for Coaches

The other day someone had listed a bunch of conversation comebacks for coaches that I thought was great stuff..but I can't seem to locate it..was wondering if that person could copy and paste under new thread??..... Thanks In advance
Old Tue Sep 02, 2008, 06:25pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Communication With Coaches

COMMUNICATION WITH COACHES

General Techniques:
Statements by coaches don’t normally need a response. Answer questions, not statements.
Let the coach ask their question first, before speaking. Be a responder, not an initiator.
Most coaches will have questions when they believe the officials have missed an obvious call.
Having the officials in closer proximity often calms down the coach.
Be in control and speak in calm, easy tones. Be aware of your body language; maintain positive and confident body language.
Make eye contact with the coach when the situation allows.
Do not try to answer a question from an out of control coach; deal with the behavior first.
If you’ve missed a call or made a mistake; admit it. This technique can only be used sparingly, perhaps once a game.
Don’t bluff your way through a call.
Do not ignore a coach.

Specific Communication Examples:

Coach sees the play very differently than the official:
“Coach, if that’s the way it happened/what you saw, then I must have missed it. I’ll take a closer look next time.”
“Coach, I understand what you’re saying, however, on that play I didn’t see it that way. I’ll keep an eye for it on both ends.”
“Coach, I had a good look at that play and here’s what I saw (short explanation).”
“Coach, I understand what you’re saying, but my angle was different than yours.”
“Coach, I had a great look at that play, but I understand your question and I’ll have the crew keep an eye on it.”
“Coach, I had that play all the way and made the call.”

Coach believes you’re missing persistent illegal acts by the other team:
“OK coach, we’ll watch for that.”
“Coach, we are watching for that on both ends of the court.”

Coach is questioning a partner’s call:
“Coach, that’s a good call, as a crew we have to make that call.”
“We’re calling it on both ends.”
“Coach, they were right there and had a great angle.”
“Coach, we’re not going there, I can’t let you criticize my teammate.”
“Coach, they had a great look, but if you have a specific question, you’ll have to ask them, they’ll be over here in just a minute.”

Coach is very animated and gesturing:
“Coach, I’m going to talk with you and answer your questions, but you must put your arms down/stop the gesturing.”
“Coach, please put your arms down. Now, what’s your question?”

Coach is raising their voice asking the question:
“Coach, I can hear you. I’m standing right here, you don’t need to raise your voice.”
"Coach, I need you to stop raising your voice and just ask your question calmly.”

Coach is commenting on something every time down the floor:
“Coach, I need you to pick your spots, we can’t have a comment on every single call that is being made.”

Coach has a good point and might be right.
“You’ve got a good point and might be right about that play.”
“You might be right, that’s one we’ll talk about at halftime/intermission/the next time out.”
“You might be right; I may not have had the best angle on that play.”

Coach is venting, make editorial comments:
“I hear what you’re saying”
“I hear what you’re saying, but we’re moving on.”

Coach just won’t let it go:
“I’ve heard enough and that’s your warning.”

Source: Topeka (Kansas) Officials Association
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Sep 02, 2008, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

nfhs website

The very list that BillyMac has posted here can also be found on the NFHS website.
Old Wed Sep 03, 2008, 12:30am
Esteemed Forum Member

Chicken or Egg ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallfouls
The very list that BillyMac has posted here can also be found on the NFHS website.
I credited the Topeka (Kansas) Officials Association as the source of the list I posted. Did the NFHS get it from the Topeka Officials Association, or did the Topeka Officials Association, get it from the NFHS?

http://www.topekaofficials.com/3%20M...0Mechanics.htm

http://www.nfhs.org/web/2004/10/thre...mechanics.aspx

http://www.iaabo152.org/IAABO152%203...20RATIONAL.htm

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Sep 03, 2008 at 01:22am.
Old Wed Sep 03, 2008, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

not meant to offend

BMac,

I was merely pointing out that if people could not access the Topeka Assoc and choose not to keep a record of what you posted, that the list could be found through the NFHS. Its been there for several years. Quite frankly, I prefer to get my info from the Topeka Assoc because they put in more time than the NF to be sure that they keep all officials up to date. The NF website doesn't get nearly as much traffic as the Topeka site does.

All joking aside, the more people that have access to the list, the better, especially for officials that could use the extra help communicating.

It doesn't matter who gets credit for coming up with the list, just that there is more than one location to find it.

Lighten up Francis

Last edited by icallfouls; Wed Sep 03, 2008 at 08:36am.
Old Wed Sep 03, 2008, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

Great list... I'm going to put some of those in the memory bank for this season.
Old Wed Sep 03, 2008, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
COMMUNICATION WITH COACHES

Having the officials in closer proximity often calms down the coach.
Be in control and speak in calm, easy tones. Be aware of your body language; maintain positive and confident body language.

Do not try to answer a question from an out of control coach; deal with the behavior first.

If you’ve missed a call or made a mistake; admit it. This technique can only be used sparingly, perhaps once a game.

Don’t bluff your way through a call.

Specific Communication Examples:

Coach sees the play very differently than the official:
“Coach, if that’s the way it happened/what you saw, then I must have missed it. I’ll take a closer look next time.”

“Coach, I understand what you’re saying, but my angle was different than yours.”

Coach is questioning a partner’s call:

“Coach, they had a great look, but if you have a specific question, you’ll have to ask them, they’ll be over here in just a minute.”

Coach is raising their voice asking the question:
“Coach, I can hear you. I’m standing right here, you don’t need to raise your voice.”"Coach, I need you to stop raising your voice and just ask your question calmly.”

Coach is commenting on something every time down the floor:
“Coach, I need you to pick your spots, we can’t have a comment on every single call that is being made.”

Coach has a good point and might be right.
“You’ve got a good point and might be right about that play.”
“You might be right, that’s one we’ll talk about at halftime/intermission/the next time out.”
“You might be right; I may not have had the best angle on that play.”

Coach is venting, make editorial comments:
“I hear what you’re saying, but we’re moving on.”

Coach just won’t let it go:
“I’ve heard enough and that’s your warning.”

Source: Topeka (Kansas) Officials Association
In the opinion of a coach, these are the points that separate the good officials from the not-so-good ones.

Good officials should not avoid getting near a coach and get upset when a coach yells his question/comment out loud across the court. If you are within 10 ft of a coach and he is still yelling, he doesnt have a question, he probably deserves one "calm down" warning, then T him.

The relationship between coaches and officials becomes combative when officials/coaches feel that they are never wrong. Officials that feel they never miss a call (or can not admit to missing a call), coaches that feel that their player never fouls and only misses shots when he is fouled... All credibility is lost...

There are coaches that think their job is to "work the refs", and officials that don't/won't tell an overzealous coach to STFU and differentiate between a legit question about a call as opposed to "you just missed every single call on every single play of the game and I don't know how to coach so I just do play-by-play of every one of your missed calls".
Old Wed Sep 03, 2008, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Whenever a coach wants to dispute my interpretation of a rule, I tell him that I have a rule book in my bag and we can look it up. If he's right, I'll give him ten bucks, but if I'm right, he has to go out into the parking lot and wash my car.

I've never had a coach take me up on this yet.
I do the same thing, but I'm a coach. and I HAVE had officials take me up on it, but I've found that officials really hate it when I'm right, and use a rule book to prove that I'm right. I actually got a technical foul several years back for showing my players on the bench a rule in the rulebook that the official just kicked (point of interuption after a double foul), and the official gave me the technical foul because I was "undermining his authority". I replied "your lack of knowledge of the rules undermined your authority" and then followed it up with "are you thinking about if what I just said deserves a second technical? go ahead, take your time."

I've matured since those days, haha.
Old Wed Sep 03, 2008, 05:05pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Koach
I do the same thing, but I'm a coach. and I HAVE had officials take me up on it, but I've found that officials really hate it when I'm right, and use a rule book to prove that I'm right. I actually got a technical foul several years back for showing my players on the bench a rule in the rulebook that the official just kicked (point of interuption after a double foul), and the official gave me the technical foul because I was "undermining his authority". I replied "your lack of knowledge of the rules undermined your authority" and then followed it up with "are you thinking about if what I just said deserves a second technical? go ahead, take your time."

I would have T'd you too. Maybe even given you a free pass. Even if you're right - leave the damn book hidden.

And that's a see-ya. You deserve to go. Such a bad example, it isn't funny.

Just my 2 cents.
Old Wed Sep 03, 2008, 05:42pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallfouls
The more people that have access to the list, the better, especially for officials that could use the extra help communicating. It doesn't matter who gets credit for coming up with the list, just that there is more than one location to find it.
No offense taken. I think it's a good list, especialy for young officials.

Who's Francis?

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Sep 03, 2008 at 05:49pm.
Old Wed Sep 03, 2008, 05:51pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

I would have T'd you up as well. You would not like it if I stopped the game and brought a rulebook out on you to show you what you did not know. That is very unprofessional on your part.

That is my 10 cents.

Peace
Old Wed Sep 03, 2008, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I hope so.

Because on that day, you were a first-class a$$hole.

I would have tossed you before you made it to "take your time".
Old Thu Sep 04, 2008, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Haha, point taken... "Listen coach, I may be wrong, and don't know the rule, but you shouldn't let others know, just keep it between you and me"... so do you guys think it would be acceptable for an official to challenge a coach to a wager with the rulebook in the middle of a game?

It seems to me what you are saying is that the officials can use the rulebook to tell a coach he is wrong, but a coach can't do the same? I'd think it would be more important for the refs to know the rules, no?

I know the "proper" way to handle it in some of your eyes would be to discuss it with the assignor after the game, but that may benefit the officials but definitely not the game play.

Can't wait for the season to start. The local association will be breaking in some newer officials at one of our scrimmages in the pre-season.
Old Thu Sep 04, 2008, 01:00pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
... so do you guys think it would be acceptable for an official to challenge a coach to a wager with the rulebook in the middle of a game?

Nope. It's wrong for the official to do it - even as a joke - and it's wrong for you to do it as a coach. It shows a tremendous lack of civility on both parts. Just my honest opinion.
Old Thu Sep 04, 2008, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It seems to me what you are saying is that the officials can use the rulebook to tell a coach he is wrong, but a coach can't do the same?
Who said that it's ok for an official to pull out a rulebook to tell a coach he's wrong?

And BillyMac, "Lighten up, Francis" is a reference from the movie: Stripes.