The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 28, 2008, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brandan89 Send a message via Yahoo to brandan89
Gustav...

As I am sure that most of you have seen on the television over the past few days Gustav is more than likely going to strike in the next few days. Once again, I am just asking that everyone keep us in mind and pray for us if you will. I will try and keep everyone updated on how everything goes. Unfortunately, I will not get to leave with my family. With they field of work that I am in it requires me to stay. I work for the 911 center in my parish. (Louisiana has parishes not counties.) I also am a member of the Fire Department so I guess if we are not busy at 911, I will be out with them trying to help rescue.
Old Thu Aug 28, 2008, 09:25pm
Official & Member

I have been through that drill more times than I care to remember (East coast of FL). Send your family to safety early and focus on your work. You can be assured the track WILL CHANGE before Monday, and you may miss it all together.

The reality is the forecasters have very little idea where it's going...but they err on the safe side. Best of luck...(and now we have Hannah to contend with)
Old Fri Aug 29, 2008, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

For all of you that could be affected by this, please be safe as possible. I live in Arkansas and have never had a disaster affect me directly. I don't know exactly what you are or will be going thru. I just pray for each of yours safety.
HONZ
Old Sat Aug 30, 2008, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

Well, just what I was scared of. As of 4:00 PM today, my parish is under mandatory evacuation. However, there is still hope. As of this morning at 8:00AM the National Hurricane Center has given the possibility of a front that has formed to push the hurricane away from the Louisiana coast. At this time all we can do is pray. Even they (National Hurricane Center) does not know for sure what Mother Nature will do. Heck, I could have told you this about females...haha.

Well everyone, stay safe. I wil try and keep everyone posted.
Old Sat Aug 30, 2008, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

To Brandan and the rest of our fellow officials, their family and everyone else in that part of the country....be safe. I hate to see this happening. I guess if there is a silver lining in it, you have ample notice with hurricanes. Up here in Indiana where I live, twisters just show up like uninvited house guests.

Be safe, all of you.
Old Sun Aug 31, 2008, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

Brandan, You stay safe and know that we are all praying for you and all of your area. We hope and pray that you do not have the same kind of devastation and destruction that you did before. Keep us updated on how you're doing, our friend!
Old Mon Sep 01, 2008, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Stay safe, Brandan.
Old Mon Sep 01, 2008, 02:18pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Home Of The Brave ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandan89
As I am sure that most of you have seen on the television over the past few days Gustav is more than likely going to strike in the next few days. Once again, I am just asking that everyone keep us in mind and pray for us if you will. I will try and keep everyone updated on how everything goes. Unfortunately, I will not get to leave with my family. With they field of work that I am in it requires me to stay. I work for the 911 center in my parish. (Louisiana has parishes not counties.) I also am a member of the Fire Department so I guess if we are not busy at 911, I will be out with them trying to help rescue.
brandan89: It's about 3:00 p.m. EDT. I just checked out the National Hurricane Center website, and it looks like Gustav is headed right toward Lafayette, like you have a big target painted on your town center. You are very brave to remain to help out those in need. I will pray for you, your fellow emergency workers, and all the residents of your great state. Good luck, and may God bless.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Sep 01, 2008 at 04:29pm.
Old Mon Sep 01, 2008, 06:58pm
Official Forum Member

Here is an update....

After the news deciding that this would be a pretty bad storm, we were told to get out of the city. We did. I came up to Shreveport to be with the rest of my family. We found out today that my grandmother (who is with me) lost her intire roof of her house. I left my car at her house and drove her in her van. I also left quite a bit of important information there because I did not think this was going to happen. Hopefully, it was just the tin gone and the plywood and other stuff is still there. We want to get back ASAP to try and save all that we can. I feel so bad for her because she also lost her home to Andrew back in 93. A big differece this time is she does not have my grandfather around to help her get through it. My mom's traile lost the carport. We are hopeing to get in tomorrow to get a look at all of the damage. I am not sure if my family will be able to come but I have a government pass to get back in. I will let everyone know after I get home about the damage. I was told that we should expect to be without lights or water for 12-16 days.

Thanks for all of the prayers and please continue them.
Old Mon Sep 01, 2008, 08:30pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
12 - 16 days without water and electric? Wow! I can't even imagine that! We panic up here when we have a power outage of longer than a few hrs.... Good luck, be safe, and best wishes to you and everyone!
Old Tue Sep 02, 2008, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Brendan:

Here's hoping you get water and electricity back soon. I know what it is like to be without them for several days. I lived in Hattiesburg, MS in August 1969 when Camille paid a visit (she wasn't a very nice lady), and we were without power for 8 days. August is such a lovely month (humidity wise) in MS.
Old Tue Sep 02, 2008, 11:25pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
January, 1967 - incredible overnight snowstorm blizzard in Chicago - almost three feet of snow fell in about eight hours. We didn't lose electricity but the water turned bad really quick. I was home from college for holiday break. My mom had me walk up to the store and carry home as much bottled water as I could. I remember we had a six foot wooden fence around our house and the drifts were so high I could walk on the snow and step over all the fences in the neighborhood which let me take a shortcut to the store and back!

I know Rut doesn't remember this because he wasn't born yet.
And I did not live here either. Then again, no one in my family lived in Illinois at that time (I think my Mom was still in Florida and my Dad in Michigan).

Peace
Old Wed Sep 03, 2008, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
January, 1967 - increible overnight snowstorm blizzard in Chicago - almost three feet of snow fell in about eight hours. We didn't lose electricity but the water turned bad really quick. I was home from college for holiday break. My mom had me walk up to the store and carry home as much bottled water as I could. I remember we had a six foot wooden fence around our house and the drifts were so high I could walk on the snow and step over all the fences in the neighborhood which let me take a shortcut to the store and back!

I know Rut doesn't remember this because he wasn't born yet.
Holy Cow! That brought back some memories. My brother, a friend, and I got to drive back to school through the aftermath of that storm. We drove from Effingham to Dekalb in order to return to NIU for the start of the 2nd semester. It took us double the usual amount of time to drive the trip. The vast amount of that time was the second half of the trip.
I remember another trip in the early 80's. I was travelling from Northbrook after visiting the inlaws to our home in Altamont with my wife and daughter. We were forced to spend the night in Rantoul due to the nasty weather. We didn't hit the bad weather until around Kankakee. Basically, it turned into a 2 day trip that was normally a 5 hour trip.
Old Wed Sep 03, 2008, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandan89
Here is an update....

After the news deciding that this would be a pretty bad storm, we were told to get out of the city. We did. I came up to Shreveport to be with the rest of my family. We found out today that my grandmother (who is with me) lost her intire roof of her house. I left my car at her house and drove her in her van. I also left quite a bit of important information there because I did not think this was going to happen. Hopefully, it was just the tin gone and the plywood and other stuff is still there. We want to get back ASAP to try and save all that we can. I feel so bad for her because she also lost her home to Andrew back in 93. A big differece this time is she does not have my grandfather around to help her get through it. My mom's traile lost the carport. We are hopeing to get in tomorrow to get a look at all of the damage. I am not sure if my family will be able to come but I have a government pass to get back in. I will let everyone know after I get home about the damage. I was told that we should expect to be without lights or water for 12-16 days.

Thanks for all of the prayers and please continue them.
You, your family, and all others are in my prayers!
My wife and I lost our power for 6 days in the aftermath of Isabel when it went through us here in Richmond VA. I can still remember the feeling sitting and listening to wind and rain as the storm rumbled its way through our subdivision and it myriad of tall trees. I could feel the storm's power even though it was no longer a hurricane. We were fortunate as we received no damage, but others weren't so lucky.

Last edited by Lcubed48; Wed Sep 03, 2008 at 02:56pm.
Old Wed Sep 03, 2008, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Apparently, we went to NIU at the same time. Were you in a frat? Also, I haven't heard the names Rantoul and Kankakee in quite a while. My dad was in the wholesale grocery business and his route took him to both cities. I remember going along with him sometimes in the summer when I was a little kid.
No, I was a GDI all the way. However, I did own a pair of TKE wingtips. I was a History major who lived in Grant North my freshman year, in Gilbert Hall my next two years, and in an off campus apartment my senior year. I matriculated in 1970.
My dad travelled also as a salesman of animal health products. I sometimes went along. His territory included central and southern Illinois.