Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 24, 2008, 11:44am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
Ok. You've got me wondering, too.

Why ignore the obvious violation?

How far does the pass have to be from the thrower before you don't call it?

Why penalize the defense that's done their job?

Why ignore the rule?
Cuzactly!
Whenever I think of the rule, I ask the same questions, ... except the first and second.

The violation is obvious only to the official doing the counting.
And the pass over the front court seems good nuff.
Old Sun Aug 24, 2008, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
Cuzactly!
Whenever I think of the rule, I ask the same questions, ... except the first and second.

The violation is obvious only to the official doing the counting.
And the pass over the front court seems good nuff.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Aug 24, 2008, 02:26pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Me twelve.
Old Sun Aug 24, 2008, 02:27pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Yeah, I know. ...Just call the dang rule.
Old Sun Aug 24, 2008, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Who has called a 10 second violation with the ball in the air over the front court?
I do not think I am capable of that.
Me thirteen.
Old Sun Aug 24, 2008, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yeah, I know. ...Just call the dang rule.
You're bored today, right?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Aug 24, 2008, 05:57pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
You're bored today, right?
Nope.
...Just boring.
Old Sun Aug 24, 2008, 06:19pm
Official Forum Member

Posted by BtkBallRef:

Why ignore the rule?

Do you call a 3 second violation every time it occurs? It's been my experience that some calls while they may be technically correct are better left alone. I believe this to be the case. In the thousands of college basketball games that I have seen in person or on TV, I can not recall seeing an official make this call. I believe it is better to take the path of least resistance here.
Old Sun Aug 24, 2008, 06:25pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay R
Posted by BtkBallRef:

Why ignore the rule?

Do you call a 3 second violation every time it occurs? It's been my experience that some calls while they may be technically correct are better left alone. I believe this to be the case. In the thousands of college basketball games that I have seen in person or on TV, I can not recall seeing an official make this call. I believe it is better to take the path of least resistance here.
Ten second violations and 3 second violations are a little different. For one no one knows when you start or even stop a 3 second count. Everyone can see your 10 second count if you are doing it properly. And if you have never seen this call, you have not watched much basketball. Not only that, in college there is a shot clock which tends to give away what the count might be. And yes, you should call this with the ball in the air. If you are splitting hairs about whether the ball achieved FC status, then that is another issue. But if the ball is not even close and in the air, I say call it every time and twice on Sunday.

Peace
Old Mon Aug 25, 2008, 10:25am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay R
As JRut mentioned, 3 seconds is a bit different in that it's universally (at higher levels, anyway) considered an advantage/disadvantage violation. 10 second violations are upheld more closely to OOB and backcourt violations. More accurately, they're called like 5 second violations.

I have seen it called. It's not called often at the college level because the players know better. When they're getting close to 10 (and they know when they're close), they don't throw long distance passes to the basket from the BC. They know the ball needs to get FC status, so they do what they can to make it happen.
Old Mon Aug 25, 2008, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Ten second violations and 3 second violations are a little different. For one no one knows when you start or even stop a 3 second count. Everyone can see your 10 second count if you are doing it properly. And if you have never seen this call, you have not watched much basketball. Not only that, in college there is a shot clock which tends to give away what the count might be. And yes, you should call this with the ball in the air. If you are splitting hairs about whether the ball achieved FC status, then that is another issue. But if the ball is not even close and in the air, I say call it every time and twice on Sunday.

Peace
Probably a dumb question, but......
To "achieve FC status", doesn't the ball have to touch something in the FC? Otherwise, even on a long pass from BC to FC, wouldn't it still be in the BC as long (however long or short the pass is) as its in the air and until it legally touches something/someone in the FC?

Therefore, if the genius is bringing the ball up the court slowly and suddenly has an "oh sh#!" moment, panics and throws a long pass to the FC, it would still be a violation if its in the air at, say 10, 11, 12 seconds, right?
Old Mon Aug 25, 2008, 11:30am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbzebra
Probably a dumb question, but......
To "achieve FC status", doesn't the ball have to touch something in the FC? Otherwise, even on a long pass from BC to FC, wouldn't it still be in the BC as long (however long or short the pass is) as its in the air and until it legally touches something/someone in the FC?

Therefore, if the genius is bringing the ball up the court slowly and suddenly has an "oh sh#!" moment, panics and throws a long pass to the FC, it would still be a violation if its in the air at, say 10, 11, 12 seconds, right?
It's a violation if the ball is in the air at 10 seconds. If the ball is in the air at 11, 12, 13 (etc) seconds, it's a late whistle.

You're correct. Rut's point is that if you get to 10 just as the ball reaches FC status and it takes some hair splitting to determine whether there was a violation; it's probably best to let it go.
Old Mon Aug 25, 2008, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

I had a play I screwed up. 10 second count and the player releases a pass. Ball deflected out of bounds. So in essence I penalized the defense for setting up a good trap.

Good philosphy I heard at camp this summer. Each possession is worth roughly 1 point. Each turnover a defense forces is worth 1 point. So you can see why this play could loom large in a close game.

I admitted I kicked the play to the coach....

And good point someone made about the shot clock.. that can help our cred big time on this play.
Old Mon Aug 25, 2008, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

I like making this call.

It's sooo satisfying.
Old Mon Aug 25, 2008, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

Me fourteen... but not real often.