The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 05, 2008, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

First camp advice

Attending my first officials camp this week. We are combining 2 and 3 man crews. We have our school assignors and various other college officials and assignors making on and off court critique.

So, after night one, my question is what do I do when one (or more)of us is out of position, I mean WAY out of position while we are in transition..? There isn't enough time to wave him/her back or we'll miss the call.

If I am the one who is in position (and I wasn't always) I am planning to hold my spot and make the calls I see and not worry about my partner(s). Generally, the observers will get us back in position, but I'm not sure how to properly handle the numerous times that we are all out of position (we haven't been trained in 3 man and we are going on limited experience- there are only a few groups using exclusively 3 man which I think is a good sign for those of us put into the 3 man groups).

Anyway, if I am sure that I'm in the right spot (and even if I'm wrong) I think I should stay put and make my call and go from there. Right, wrong or it depends?

Second, what are the observers and assignors looking for from those of us in first year at our first camp and what should I concentrate on the rest of the week? My plan was to concentrate on mechanics and making calls and being as strong as I can with calls.

Thanks for your thoughts-

Z
Old Tue Aug 05, 2008, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeedonk
Second, what are the observers and assignors looking for from those of us in first year at our first camp and what should I concentrate on the rest of the week?
listening and implementing what you've heard
Old Tue Aug 05, 2008, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Attending my first officials camp this week. We are combining 2 and 3 man crews. We have our school assignors and various other college officials and assignors making on and off court critique.

So, after night one, my question is what do I do when one (or more)of us is out of position, I mean WAY out of position while we are in transition..? There isn't enough time to wave him/her back or we'll miss the call.

If I am the one who is in position (and I wasn't always) I am planning to hold my spot and make the calls I see and not worry about my partner(s). Generally, the observers will get us back in position, but I'm not sure how to properly handle the numerous times that we are all out of position (we haven't been trained in 3 man and we are going on limited experience- there are only a few groups using exclusively 3 man which I think is a good sign for those of us put into the 3 man groups).

Anyway, if I am sure that I'm in the right spot (and even if I'm wrong) I think I should stay put and make my call and go from there. Right, wrong or it depends?

Second, what are the observers and assignors looking for from those of us in first year at our first camp and what should I concentrate on the rest of the week? My plan was to concentrate on mechanics and making calls and being as strong as I can with calls.

Thanks for your thoughts-

Z
Be quick to listen, slow to speak, if at all & dont get mad if they say something you dont agree with. Good luck!!!!
Old Tue Aug 05, 2008, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

Sound to me, and please correct me if I am wrong, that when the crew is "WAY out of position in transition" that someone failed to pick up the rotation. Hey...it happens, even in experienced crews. Possibly the C picked up the Lead coming over but had a good view and stayed put to officiate the play...thus when things head the other way it looks like he/she is out of position. When either of these happen and I am the new Trail I watch the other two officials in my peripheral vision. If they correct things I just keep going. If they do not correct, I fill in as needed to get the crew back into position.

The big confusion comes when it is the T that misses the rotation of the L...because you usually end up with both busting to get to Lead. In that case, let the two of them settle and slide into the appropriate spot. It doesn't look smooth and in camp you will get "dinged" by evaluators...in real games the probability is real high that only 3 people in the entire gym will know something got messed up.
Old Tue Aug 05, 2008, 08:20pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Don't say, "Ya but...."
Just say, "Okay."
Old Tue Aug 05, 2008, 11:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
Don't say, "Ya but...."
Just say, "Okay."
^^^^^

Very good advice there. If a clinician asked you why you called something, tell them and if they tell you that you blew the call, say ok and move on. Don't fight what they're telling you.

As far as being out of position, try and remember your partners' first names and be vocal on the court. If you have two Leads in transition , you can yell something like "bob, you're in the C!!!". It's ok to communicate on the court. I've never heard a clinician say not to do it and most I've encountered will encourage it. If you have some people w/ little 3 person experience there will probably be some goofs in late rotations and transition. Someone isn't going to realize they're the new Lead and they'll have an "oh s***" moment when they realize they've gotta bust it up the court.

Be a strong "C" official. Follow plays to the basket out of your primary, if you have a double whistle, come strong and take it.

Hustle, concentrate and as a clinician at a camp told our group, "you have TWO ears and ONE mouth for a reason". Good luck!!
Old Wed Aug 06, 2008, 12:05am
Do not give a damn!!

I would also suggest that you also look interested. Just like anything with body language, when you look disinterested, the clinicians soon become disinterested with you. It is very frustrating when people spend their money to learn and do not seem receptive with the information.

Look all most clinicians are trying to do is help you. You do not have to like or accept all information. But it looks better if you try to take the information and use some of it. You can always leave the camp and throw away most of the information. Not everything someone teaches to you is solid information that everyone can always use.

Peace
Old Wed Aug 06, 2008, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
Don't say, "Ya but...."
Just say, "Okay."
That was the very first thing the directors told us on Day One....

I did have a situation that I think I handled the right way, though:

3 man crew, I am C-> rebound to defense and we start transition back when new T makes a foul call in backcourt nearly on the end line, no change of possession, still going the distance. I came back into the backcourt a few steps to watch players while T reports and so he can come back and administer throw in (no long switches for us in Jersey).

Observer directly behind me tells me to go get the ball so the kids don't pick it up and take off with it- return to T and resume my position, it looks cleaner and helps with the uncertainty of the crew's limited experience in 3 man. OK,makes sense to me.

Same game, same thing happens later. I go to get the ball and at next dead ball 2nd observer comes to me and says I don't have to go get it, just come back into backcourt to make sure there are no problems.

I didn't "yeabut" him. I said "the reason I did that is because last game I was told to go get it and it helps keep the transition smooth b/c we are a little inexperienced at 3 man". 2nd observer says, "OK, that's fine- if the crew were more experienced T would know that he's reporting and returning to administer and you would know that he knows, so you just make sure the kids don't kill each other while T reports". I told him I would check with our assignor as to how our local board wants it done (both observers were D1 officials) 2d observers says "that's exactly what I'd do too".

Tonight, its back to 2 man and we're told that the observers will be watching calls closely and wanting to question why we made or didn't make calls.

And I am amazed at what I have heard from other officials saying back to the observers- and amongst each other. I'm limiting myself to "OK" and "thanks".

Z
Old Wed Aug 06, 2008, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
That was the very first thing the directors told us on Day One....

I did have a situation that I think I handled the right way, though:

3 man crew, I am C-> rebound to defense and we start transition back when new T makes a foul call in backcourt nearly on the end line, no change of possession, still going the distance. I came back into the backcourt a few steps to watch players while T reports and so he can come back and administer throw in (no long switches for us in Jersey).

Observer directly behind me tells me to go get the ball so the kids don't pick it up and take off with it- return to T and resume my position, it looks cleaner and helps with the uncertainty of the crew's limited experience in 3 man. OK,makes sense to me.

Same game, same thing happens later. I go to get the ball and at next dead ball 2nd observer comes to me and says I don't have to go get it, just come back into backcourt to make sure there are no problems.

I didn't "yeabut" him. I said "the reason I did that is because last game I was told to go get it and it helps keep the transition smooth b/c we are a little inexperienced at 3 man". 2nd observer says, "OK, that's fine- if the crew were more experienced T would know that he's reporting and returning to administer and you would know that he knows, so you just make sure the kids don't kill each other while T reports". I told him I would check with our assignor as to how our local board wants it done (both observers were D1 officials) 2d observers says "that's exactly what I'd do too".

Tonight, its back to 2 man and we're told that the observers will be watching calls closely and wanting to question why we made or didn't make calls.

And I am amazed at what I have heard from other officials saying back to the observers- and amongst each other. I'm limiting myself to "OK" and "thanks".

Z
Camp season is so much fun, isnt it???? LOL....
Old Wed Aug 06, 2008, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

First, you're probably thinking too much. They'll tell you what they want you to do. They'll tell you where your opportunities and strengths lie. Just be a sponge.

Second, rotations and transistions. From time to time, someone will miss a transistion. I miss them and I've worked three man since 1989. Don't sweat it.

If you're L and you rotate just as the ball turns over, just look to see where you partners go and fill the gap.

If you're L and you rotate and the new T misses the rotation, you'll have two C's and one T at the other end. You're now T, go to the C on your side and push him to L.

If you transistion and end up with two L's, you'll just have to yell until you get the guy's attention who should be a C.

It's just part of the game.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Aug 06, 2008, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That's probably a good answer. But here's my thing. Don't worry about the ball. Concentrate on the players and forget the ball. Someone will get the ball. We can't play without it.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Aug 06, 2008, 09:59am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
That's probably a good answer. But here's my thing. Don't worry about the ball. Concentrate on the players and forget the ball. Someone will get the ball. We can't play without it.
This is also my opinion. But I have been told at camp -- in very strong terms -- by D1 observers that retrieving the ball helps your partner, keeps the game moving, and looks a lot better than having the ball sitting in the middle of the floor.

So my compromise is that in a 2-whistle game, I ignore the ball and freeze my eyes on the players. In a 3-whistle game, if I'm the closest non-calling official, I'll get the ball (and hope that my other partner is watching the players).
Old Wed Aug 06, 2008, 10:08am
Ch1town

Quote:
I didn't "yeabut" him.
I said "the reason I did that is because last game I was told to go get it and it helps keep the transition smooth b/c we are a little inexperienced at 3 man".
Even though the 2nd observer understood where you were coming from, your explanation could've been taken as "yeah but". So be careful! I'm learning that you will be told different philosophies about the same situations by different observers. The last thing they want to hear is "last game so & so said this". At some D1 camps I've seen guys removed & replaced for that very comment. Sometimes they say different things to see how well you adjust & if you're coachable. I would stay away from explanations or reasons why after being told something for the remainder of this camp.

Maybe the second observer meant that you didn't have to actually go get the ball. When I'm C in transition & the new T has a BC foul to report I generally have the closest kid toss me the ball (smile & say thank you) then toss it back to the T after they conclude business.
Remember to move with a purpose.

JMO, do with it what you choose. Most of all have fun & enjoy the experience!
Old Wed Aug 06, 2008, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2
Camp season is so much fun, isnt it???? LOL....

Notice how tactfully I did NOT throw observer #1 under the bus!!! It would have been easy to point across court and say "Yeah, but HE told me to do X.."
Old Wed Aug 06, 2008, 10:15am
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
I have been told at camp -- in very strong terms -- by D1 observers that retrieving the ball helps your partner, keeps the game moving, and looks a lot better than having the ball sitting in the middle of the floor.
It also looks a lot better than having the kid inbound the ball & start heading up the court as the official is reporting the foul. Then we have to blow them back & start again. That looks real ugly...