View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 06, 2008, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeedonk
That was the very first thing the directors told us on Day One....

I did have a situation that I think I handled the right way, though:

3 man crew, I am C-> rebound to defense and we start transition back when new T makes a foul call in backcourt nearly on the end line, no change of possession, still going the distance. I came back into the backcourt a few steps to watch players while T reports and so he can come back and administer throw in (no long switches for us in Jersey).

Observer directly behind me tells me to go get the ball so the kids don't pick it up and take off with it- return to T and resume my position, it looks cleaner and helps with the uncertainty of the crew's limited experience in 3 man. OK,makes sense to me.

Same game, same thing happens later. I go to get the ball and at next dead ball 2nd observer comes to me and says I don't have to go get it, just come back into backcourt to make sure there are no problems.

I didn't "yeabut" him. I said "the reason I did that is because last game I was told to go get it and it helps keep the transition smooth b/c we are a little inexperienced at 3 man". 2nd observer says, "OK, that's fine- if the crew were more experienced T would know that he's reporting and returning to administer and you would know that he knows, so you just make sure the kids don't kill each other while T reports". I told him I would check with our assignor as to how our local board wants it done (both observers were D1 officials) 2d observers says "that's exactly what I'd do too".

Tonight, its back to 2 man and we're told that the observers will be watching calls closely and wanting to question why we made or didn't make calls.

And I am amazed at what I have heard from other officials saying back to the observers- and amongst each other. I'm limiting myself to "OK" and "thanks".

Z
Camp season is so much fun, isnt it???? LOL....