View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 05, 2008, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

First camp advice

Attending my first officials camp this week. We are combining 2 and 3 man crews. We have our school assignors and various other college officials and assignors making on and off court critique.

So, after night one, my question is what do I do when one (or more)of us is out of position, I mean WAY out of position while we are in transition..? There isn't enough time to wave him/her back or we'll miss the call.

If I am the one who is in position (and I wasn't always) I am planning to hold my spot and make the calls I see and not worry about my partner(s). Generally, the observers will get us back in position, but I'm not sure how to properly handle the numerous times that we are all out of position (we haven't been trained in 3 man and we are going on limited experience- there are only a few groups using exclusively 3 man which I think is a good sign for those of us put into the 3 man groups).

Anyway, if I am sure that I'm in the right spot (and even if I'm wrong) I think I should stay put and make my call and go from there. Right, wrong or it depends?

Second, what are the observers and assignors looking for from those of us in first year at our first camp and what should I concentrate on the rest of the week? My plan was to concentrate on mechanics and making calls and being as strong as I can with calls.

Thanks for your thoughts-

Z