The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jul 26, 2008, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

Player Down - Rule and Your Philosophy

When a player goes down and appears to be injured no matter how severe it may or may not be ... what do you do?

I know there is a proper procedure to follow and I know everyone has their own philosophy here (right or wrong, but we know everyone sees and applies differently).

What is your take on a player down?
Old Sat Jul 26, 2008, 05:00pm
certified Hot Mom tester

I can tell you that in our local kids rec league, we have an inviolate rule - if a player appears to be hurt, we immediately stop play and take care of the player - no exceptions and the game situation is irrelevant. We drill the following into everyone - officials, coaches and players alike - "Player safety is rule number one".
Old Sat Jul 26, 2008, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo
When a player goes down and appears to be injured no matter how severe it may or may not be ... what do you do?

I know there is a proper procedure to follow and I know everyone has their own philosophy here (right or wrong, but we know everyone sees and applies differently).

If the player is in a position where he's in danger of further injury or if the injury is obviously severe, we kill the play.

If the play is transistioning to the other end, the T stops and stays with the player. That tells everyone, "We see him." As soon as team control ends or the offense stops pushing the ball, we kill the play.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Jul 27, 2008, 06:02am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo

*We* do not know that.
[See BktBallRef procedure.]
Old Sun Jul 27, 2008, 10:46am
Esteemed Forum Member

Safety First ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
If the player is in a position where he's in danger of further injury or if the injury is obviously severe, we kill the play. If the play is transistioning to the other end, the T stops and stays with the player. As soon as team control ends or the offense stops pushing the ball, we kill the play.
BktBallRef: Well said. Rookies take note.

Also, regarding "team control ends", that means as soon as the shot is attempted, the official blows the whistle, while the shot is in the air. If the attempt misses, we go to the arrow, if the attempt is successful, the other team gets the ball, and is allowed to run the endline.
Old Sun Jul 27, 2008, 07:39pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with BktBallRef's process when a player goes down.

However, I believe that BillyMac's procedure that read, "Also, regarding "team control ends", that means as soon as the shot is attempted, the official blows the whistle, while the shot is in the air. If the attempt misses, we go to the arrow, if the attempt is successful, the other team gets the ball, and is allowed to run the endline" is incorrect.

Think about this situation: A1 goes down with a possible injury and Team B quickly transitions to a two on none break. B1 misses the lay up and B2 follows up and scores. I would never blow that play dead after B1's miss and go to the arrow. It wouldn't be fair.

If we actually followed that procedure quoted above, there would be no reason why a player wouldn't "fake" an injury every time down the court. There would always be a chance that the team who had numbers would miss their shot attempt and that the arrow was pointing in favor of the "injured" player's team.
Old Sun Jul 27, 2008, 07:52pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGR
I agree with BktBallRef's process when a player goes down.

However, I believe that BillyMac's procedure that read, "Also, regarding "team control ends", that means as soon as the shot is attempted, the official blows the whistle, while the shot is in the air. If the attempt misses, we go to the arrow, if the attempt is successful, the other team gets the ball, and is allowed to run the endline" is incorrect.

Think about this situation: A1 goes down with a possible injury and Team B quickly transitions to a two on none break. B1 misses the lay up and B2 follows up and scores. I would never blow that play dead after B1's miss and go to the arrow. It wouldn't be fair.
You might not think that it's fair but it IS the rule.

NFHS rule 5-8-2NOTE: When a player is injured in Art. 2(a), the official may suspend play after the ball is dead or is in control of the injured player's team or when the opponents complete a play. A play is completed when a team loses control (including throwing for goal) or withholds the ball from play by ceasing to attempt to score or advance the ball to a scoring position. When necessary to protect an injured player, the official may immediately suspend play.

Billy's advice was to follow the existing rules, as cited above. Your advice is to make up your own rules. Methinks the wise thing to do is to go with Billy.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Sun Jul 27, 2008 at 07:58pm.
Old Sun Jul 27, 2008, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee

NFHS rule 5-8-2NOTE: When a player is injured in Art. 2(a), the official may suspend play after the ball is dead or is in control of the injured player's team or when the opponents complete a play. A play is completed when a team loses control (including throwing for goal) or withholds the ball from play by ceasing to attempt to score or advance the ball to a scoring position. When necessary to protect an injured player, the official may immediately suspend play.

Billy's advice was to follow the existing rules, as cited above. Your advice is to make up your own rules. Methinks the wise thing to do is to go with Billy.
I agree with TGR and will not kill the play if there's a 2 on none play. NO WAY!
Old Sun Jul 27, 2008, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

If it's 2 on none, he shouldn't miss the layup, should he?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Jul 28, 2008, 12:12am
We don't rent pigs

Along the lines of "fair solution, but not by the book" I have seen the opposing coach ask for a timeout in this situation which is granted by the official, but then reported as an official timeout. I suppose the timeout request could be considered to be the completion of the play, which makes it all good.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Jul 28, 2008, 12:24am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwanr1
I agree with TGR and will not kill the play if there's a 2 on none play. NO WAY!
How do you explain ignoring the rule afterward? Or isn't that a consideration?
Old Mon Jul 28, 2008, 07:17am
In Memoriam

Quote:

I do not like the Red part. I think it is stoopid.
I think the rule could stand without that tripe.

If the ball is in flight [with 5-on-4] and with the injured player out of harm's way, I would like to see play continue until it changes direction or until the ball backs away from the basket.
Old Mon Jul 28, 2008, 10:28am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
I do not like the Red part. I think it is stoopid.
I think the rule could stand without that tripe.

If the ball is in flight [with 5-on-4] and with the injured player out of harm's way, I would like to see play continue until it changes direction or until the ball backs away from the basket.
I do not like letting coaches call timeouts either. I think that rule is stoopid.

Unfortunately, what rules I personally like or dislike means diddly-squat when I put a whistle in my mouth.

That was my point, Mick.
Old Mon Jul 28, 2008, 11:33am
In Memoriam

Quote:
I do not like letting coaches call timeouts either. I think that rule is stoopid.

Unfortunately, what rules I personally like or dislike means diddly-squat when I put a whistle in my mouth.

That was my point, Mick.
You don't have to defend someone else's rules to me, JR.
Old Mon Jul 28, 2008, 12:02pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Wink

Quote:
I do not like letting coaches request timeouts
Fixed it for ya'.