The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 15, 2002, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I had a situation in men's rec ball that I had to look twice about.
Big guy goes for a one handed dunk and the ball is in the cylander with his hand on it and ball touching the ring.As he is coming down he somehow pulls the ball back with him.
He returns with the ball to the floor.
His hand never left the ball.
I passed on the call not knowing what to call.
Hindsight it should have been a travel I think.
What do you think?
Old Mon Apr 15, 2002, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

This is a travel in the pro game as long as he remains in possession the entire time (Casebook 363). I would assume it also is in the college and high school game.
Old Mon Apr 15, 2002, 07:10pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up Good sitch.

Quote:
Originally posted by MOFFICIAL
I had a situation in men's rec ball that I had to look twice about.
Big guy goes for a one handed dunk and the ball is in the cylander with his hand on it and ball touching the ring.As he is coming down he somehow pulls the ball back with him.
He returns with the ball to the floor.
His hand never left the ball.
I passed on the call not knowing what to call.
Hindsight it should have been a travel I think.
What do you think?
Thanks MOFFICIAL,
Yup, sounds like a travel to me, too, having had a few moments longer to think about it than you did.
Player jumped with the ball and came down with the ball.
Ball wasn't released.
Tough call!
I can't imagine what I would've had. But, thanks to you, I may get it right if I ever see it.
mick
Old Mon Apr 15, 2002, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member

If he hits the rim with the ball, I don't have a travel. I've seen kids go up to dunk, get the ball stuffed by the rim, and come back down with it. It is not essential for the ball to leave the hand to have a shot. 4-40-2
Old Mon Apr 15, 2002, 07:36pm
Official Forum Member

I would say once the ball touched the rim, it technically is a "shot", so possession ended, even though he was still in contact with the ball.

Sounds like a good call to me.
Old Mon Apr 15, 2002, 07:51pm
In Memoriam

Question Hmmmm.

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
If he hits the rim with the ball, I don't have a travel. I've seen kids go up to dunk, get the ball stuffed by the rim, and come back down with it. It is not essential for the ball to leave the hand to have a shot. 4-40-2
Tony,
Player goes up with the ball and jams it on the underside of the rim, never releases the ball, and returns to the floor. Looks like a travel from U.P. here.
mick
Old Mon Apr 15, 2002, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Watson
I would say once the ball touched the rim, it technically is a "shot", so possession ended, even though he was still in contact with the ball.

You're entitled to that opinion. Did you look at my rule reference? The ball does not have to be released for a shot to take place.

Let's look at the NCAA sitch. In the play that you describe, would the shot clock reset? And it so, how can you call it traveling if a shot has been taken?

Old Mon Apr 15, 2002, 09:56pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Watson

You're entitled to that opinion. Did you look at my rule reference? The ball does not have to be released for a shot to take place.

Let's look at the NCAA sitch. In the play that you describe, would the shot clock reset? And it so, how can you call it traveling if a shot has been taken?

For sure.... I always look at your references.
I am thinking that your 4-40-2 only distinguishes the block/interference/interjection of an act of a defender and not the singular act of the shooter.

Clock reset? Yes, when the ball hit the rim. But the shot has not been taken, it is being taken, in process.

Now, I do not disagree the try was initiated. I question did it end? I guess it did not: 4-40-4 The try ends when -
  • the throw is successful
  • when the thrown ball touches the floor
  • when the ball becomes dead (on my whistle when the shooter came back to the floor)

Let's have the shooter release the ball before he jumps a second time, otherwise he could be doing that all night.
    mick

Old Mon Apr 15, 2002, 10:28pm
    Official Forum Member

as referenced by eroe39 case book play 363.
    player a1, prior to dribbling the ball, jumps and touches the ball to the basket ring or back board. he returns to the floor with the ball still in his possession. is this a traveling violation.
    yes. because the ball has never left player a1's possession, there has been no field goal attempt. the ball must be out of his possession prior to his pivot foot returning to the floor to prevent a violation.

the rules that govern traveling are the same from pro to college to highschool. (except the 2 rythm count which has no bearing on this play.) i would call a travel on this play now that it has been identified, discussed and referenced.
    Old Mon Apr 15, 2002, 11:30pm
    Official Forum Member

Quote:
    Originally posted by mick

Now, I do not disagree the try was initiated. I question did it end? I guess it did not: 4-40-4 The try ends when -
  • when the ball becomes dead (on my whistle when the shooter came back to the floor)
  • Doesn't a try end when it's been rebounded?
    Old Mon Apr 15, 2002, 11:33pm
    Official Forum Member

Quote:
    Originally posted by crew
    as referenced by eroe39 case book play 363.
    player a1, prior to dribbling the ball, jumps and touches the ball to the basket ring or back board. he returns to the floor with the ball still in his possession. is this a traveling violation.
    yes. because the ball has never left player a1's possession, there has been no field goal attempt. the ball must be out of his possession prior to his pivot foot returning to the floor to prevent a violation.

the rules that govern traveling are the same from pro to college to highschool. (except the 2 rythm count which has no bearing on this play.) i would call a travel on this play now that it has been identified, discussed and referenced.
    I don't think the men's rec league the MOFFICIAL referenced was playing pro rules. If not, then 363 has no bearing.

Oh, and the rules that govern traveling are different in the NBA versus NF and NCAA.
    Old Tue Apr 16, 2002, 02:31am
    Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BktBallRef

Oh, and the rules that govern traveling are different in the NBA versus NF and NCAA.

what are the differences?
    Old Tue Apr 16, 2002, 02:56am
    Official Forum Member

nba
    Section XIV-Traveling
    a. A player who receives the ball while standing still may pivot, using either foot as the pivot foot.
    b. A player who receives the ball while he is progressing or upon completion of a dribble, may use a two-count rhythm in coming to a stop, passing or shooting the ball.
    The first count occurs:
    (1) As he receives the ball, if either foot is touching the floor at the time he receives it.
    (2) As the foot touches the floor, or as both feet touch the floor simultane- ously after he receives the ball, if both feet are off the floor when he receives it.
    The second occurs:
    (1) After the count of one when either foot touches the floor, or both feet touch the floor simultaneously.
    c. A player who comes to a stop on the count of one may pivot, using either foot as the pivot foot.
    d. A player who comes to a stop on the count of two, with one foot in advance of the other, may pivot using only the rear foot as the pivot foot.
    e. A player who comes to a stop on the count of two, with neither foot in advance of the other, may use either foot as the pivot foot.
    f. In starting a dribble after (1) receiving the ball while standing still, or (2) coming to a legal stop, the ball must be out of the player's hand before the pivot foot is raised off the floor.
    g. If a player, with the ball in his possession, raises his pivot foot off the floor, he must pass or shoot before his pivot foot returns to the floor. If he drops the ball while in the air, he may not be the first to touch the ball.
    h. A player who falls to the floor while holding the ball, or while coming to a stop, may not gain an advantage by sliding.
    i. A player who attempts a field goal may not be the first to touch the ball if it fails to touch the backboard, basket ring or another player.
    PENALTY: Loss of ball. The ball is awarded to the opposing team at the sideline, nearest spot of the violation but no nearer the baseline than the foul line extended.interference or goaltending, the thrower-in may run along the end line.
    Art. 7. A thrower-in shall be permitted to throw the ball to a teammate
    nc2a
    Section 64. Tr a v e l i n g
    Art. 3. A player who catches the ball while moving or dribbling may stop
    and establish a pivot foot as follows:
    a . When both feet are off the playing court and the player lands:
    1 . Simultaneously on both feet, either may be the pivot foot;
    2 . On one foot followed by the other, the first foot to touch shall be
    the pivot foot;
    3 . On one foot, the player may jump off that foot and simultane-ously
    land on both; neither foot can be the pivot foot.
    b . When one foot is on the playing court:
    1 . That foot shall be the pivot foot when the other foot touches in
    a step;B R -7 4 RULE 4-64/DEFINITIONS
    2 . The player may jump off that foot and simultaneously land on
    both; neither foot can then be the pivot foot.
    Art. 4. After coming to a stop and establishing the pivot foot:
    a . The pivot foot may be lifted, but not returned to the playing court,
    before the ball is released on a pass or try for goal;

b . The pivot foot shall not be lifted before the ball is released to start a
    d r i b b l e .
    A.R. 34. A1 receives a pass from A2 and comes to a stop legally with the right foot
    established as the pivot foot. A1 tosses the ball from one hand to the other several
    times and then proceeds to bat the ball to the floor before A1 lifts the pivot foot. RUL-ING:
    Legal.
    A.R. 35. A1 attempts to catch the ball while running. A1 fumbles the ball and succeeds
    in securing it before it strikes the playing court. A1 then begins a dribble, taking sev-eral
    steps between the time A1 first touched the ball until catching it. RULING: There
    has been no violation provided that A1 released the ball to start the dribble before lift-ing
    the pivot foot from the playing court after catching the ball.
    Art. 5. After coming to a stop when neither foot can be the pivot foot:
    a . One or both feet may be lifted, but may not be returned to the play-ing
    court, before the ball is released on a pass or try for goal;
    b . Neither foot shall be lifted, before the ball is released, to start a drib-b
    l e .
    A.R. 36. Is it traveling when a player (a) falls to the playing court while holding the
    ball; or (b) gains control of the ball while on the playing court and then, because of
    momentum, rolls or slides, after which the player passes or starts a dribble before get-ting
    to his or her feet? RULING: In (a), yes, because it is virtually impossible not to
    move the pivot foot when falling to the playing floor. In (b), no. The player may pass,
    shoot, start a dribble or call a timeout. Once the player has the ball and is no longer
    sliding, he or she may not roll over. When flat on his or her back, the player may sit
    up without violating. When the player puts the ball on the floor, then rises and is the
    first to touch the ball, it also is traveling. When a player rises to his or her feet while
    holding the ball, a traveling violation occurs. When a player falls to one knee while
    holding the ball, it is traveling when the pivot foot moves.
    Section 65. Try for Field Goal/Act of Shooting
    Art. 1. A try for field goal is an attempt by a player to score two or three
    points by throwing or tapping the ball into his or her basket.
    A.R. 37. A1 becomes confused and shoots the ball at the wrong basket. A1 is fouled
    while trying to shoot and the ball goes in the basket. Is this a goal? If A1 missed,
    should A1 be granted two free throws for the foul by the Team B player? RULING:
    No goal. The ball became dead when the foul occurred. When a player shoots at the
    opponentÂ’s basket, it is not a try. When Team A is in the bonus when the Team B play-er
    fouls A1, A1 shall be awarded a one-and-one. When Team A is not in the bonus,
    the ball shall be awarded to Team A at the designated spot.

though the wording and order are different the intent is the same. nc2a-the key is art4 a. the ball must be released on a pass or try for goal. nba-the key is g the player must pass or shoot.

[Edited by crew on Apr 16th, 2002 at 03:16 AM]
    Old Tue Apr 16, 2002, 05:29am
    In Memoriam

Question

Quote:
    Quote:
    Originally posted by mick

• Doesn't a try end when it's been rebounded?
    Dunno, Tony.
    I have never read that one.
    mick
    Old Tue Apr 16, 2002, 08:49am
    Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
    I'm voting this way:

1. Dunker goes up I comes back down with the ball after
    completely missing everything (ball did not touch the rim).

Travel. Not a legitimate try, IMO.

2. Dunker goes up & gets "stuffed" by either the underside
    of the rim o rthe top of the rim.

No travel, reset the shot clock. This is a legitimate
    try, IMO.