Thread: What to call?
View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 15, 2002, 09:56pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Watson
I would say once the ball touched the rim, it technically is a "shot", so possession ended, even though he was still in contact with the ball.

Sounds like a good call to me.
You're entitled to that opinion. Did you look at my rule reference? The ball does not have to be released for a shot to take place.

Let's look at the NCAA sitch. In the play that you describe, would the shot clock reset? And it so, how can you call it traveling if a shot has been taken?

For sure.... I always look at your references.
I am thinking that your 4-40-2 only distinguishes the block/interference/interjection of an act of a defender and not the singular act of the shooter.

Clock reset? Yes, when the ball hit the rim. But the shot has not been taken, it is being taken, in process.

Now, I do not disagree the try was initiated. I question did it end? I guess it did not: 4-40-4 The try ends when -
  • the throw is successful
  • when the thrown ball touches the floor
  • when the ball becomes dead (on my whistle when the shooter came back to the floor)

Let's have the shooter release the ball before he jumps a second time, otherwise he could be doing that all night.
    mick