The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 17, 2008, 11:27am
#thereferee99

Thoughts on a loose ball/3 seconds call?

Sit: Team A ball. Entry pass thrown into post player in the lane. She fumbles it. Ball is on the floor. Its squirting around. Nobody gets control. "3 seconds" begins to be heard. Maybe the post player gets it while she is on her back in the lane. Tries to pass out. Ball is batted and again is squirting around. Now the chorus of "3 seconds" is EVERYWHERE.

Art. 1... A player shall not remain for three seconds in that part of his/her free-throw lane between the end line and the farther edge of the free-throw line while the ball is in control of his/her team in his/her frontcourt.

My training was that 3 seconds should be ignored/avoided unless advantage is gained.

In this situation, the rule dictates that a violation be called. Team A has team control. Player A1 (and later say, A2 and A3) are in the lane area for more than 3 seconds. I fully understand what the rule says.

What I would ask for... is what the thought process is for others when this situation occurs?
Old Thu Jul 17, 2008, 11:30am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I'm calling this. I have called it; and I don't call 3 seconds often.
You gonna wait until A3 picks it up and shoots? To me, there's a clear advantage gained here (3 seconds is about the only violation I consider advantage on).

And FWIW, when I called it, there was no chorus for 3 seconds. While I usually "hear" the chorus when it erupts, I never pay attention to it.
Old Thu Jul 17, 2008, 11:38am
#thereferee99

That is the fear. A3 picks up and scores...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
I'm calling this. I have called it; and I don't call 3 seconds often.
You gonna wait until A3 picks it up and shoots? To me, there's a clear advantage gained here (3 seconds is about the only violation I consider advantage on).

And FWIW, when I called it, there was no chorus for 3 seconds. While I usually "hear" the chorus when it erupts, I never pay attention to it.
... I'm screwed for holding my whistle.

You feel Team A participating in the pursuit of the loose ball here is gaining an advantage. That helps. Would you let location affect your thinking? Say this occurs at the elbow as opposed to right in the middle of the lane close to the basket?
Old Thu Jul 17, 2008, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by referee99
Sit: Team A ball. Entry pass thrown into post player in the lane. She fumbles it. Ball is on the floor. Its squirting around. Nobody gets control. "3 seconds" begins to be heard. Maybe the post player gets it while she is on her back in the lane. Tries to pass out. Ball is batted and again is squirting around. Now the chorus of "3 seconds" is EVERYWHERE.

Art. 1... A player shall not remain for three seconds in that part of his/her free-throw lane between the end line and the farther edge of the free-throw line while the ball is in control of his/her team in his/her frontcourt.

My training was that 3 seconds should be ignored/avoided unless advantage is gained.

In this situation, the rule dictates that a violation be called. Team A has team control. Player A1 (and later say, A2 and A3) are in the lane area for more than 3 seconds. I fully understand what the rule says.

What I would ask for... is what the thought process is for others when this situation occurs?
Wouldn't it be nothing here? Since ball squirting around would mean loss of team control? Or does team control end when the other team "gains control"? Therefore, team control remains with fumbling team? Help!
Old Thu Jul 17, 2008, 12:15pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

If the player involved has, say, just one foot in the lane during the scrum, I might not call it. Normally, however, there are going to be 2 or 3 offensive players going for the ball.

Also, the longer the scrum lasts, the more likely I am to jump in with the call. And if I don't make the call early, A will have a very short window to take a shot or get out of the lane before I make a call.
Old Thu Jul 17, 2008, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbzebra
Wouldn't it be nothing here? Since ball squirting around would mean loss of team control? Or does team control end when the other team "gains control"? Therefore, team control remains with fumbling team? Help!
Team control continues through a loose ball until the other team secures control (or the ball becomes dead).
Old Thu Jul 17, 2008, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
4-12-3 should help you out; it gives the specifics on when team control ends.

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Jul 17, 2008, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
4-12-3 should help you out; it gives the specifics on when team control ends.
Thanks, to both you and "Cameron Rust". I'll definately take a look. I appreciate it
Old Thu Jul 17, 2008, 02:29pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

When coaches yell at me for 3 seconds, I tell the coach that I forgot what number I was on and I have to start over. The smart ones realize what I'm saying.
Old Thu Jul 17, 2008, 02:37pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
When coaches yell at me for 3 seconds, I tell the coach that I forgot what number I was on and I have to start over. The smart ones realize what I'm saying.
Gee, I wish my coaches would quit after only 3 seconds.

If I call it anyway, I'll simply say, "I got it, Coach." I might add, "Some refs find it impossible to make that call when the coach is screaming for it."

If I don't, there doesn't tend to be time for a conversation.
Old Thu Jul 17, 2008, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks, to both you and "Cameron Rust". I'll definitely take a look. I appreciate it

Oooo....I've been quoted (misspelling aside)...not my words but ME! I feel so special.
Old Thu Jul 17, 2008, 03:22pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
Oooo....I've been quoted (misspelling aside)...not my words but ME! I feel so special.
And I see that you also corrected the spelling of "definitely".
Old Thu Jul 17, 2008, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
And I see that you also corrected the spelling of "definitely".
Spellchecker got it...I didn't look for it.
Old Thu Jul 17, 2008, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
I apparently can't read or see straight I guess (could those coaches be RIGHT????? )
Old Thu Jul 17, 2008, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Gee, I wish my coaches would quit after only 3 seconds.

If I call it anyway, I'll simply say, "I got it, Coach." I might add, "Some refs find it impossible to make that call when the coach is screaming for it."

If I don't, there doesn't tend to be time for a conversation.
I'll make the 3-second call, but the penalty to the coach screaming for it is going to be 2 shots and the ball at the division line.