The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 19, 2008, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

loose ball, and screen?

on a loose ball if the offensive team in the frontcourt dives for the loose ball and slides. in my mind he had control of it and slide about five feet and into the backcourt. I wasn't sure if it was backcourt.

on a screen do you have to keep your arms down. in a game I watched a player kept putting both his arms in the air while setting a screen.

just thought of this- in high school ball are you allowed to have your arms up before the ft. I thought no but I keep seeing it including NCAA games. perhaps high school refs let it slide. I've seen refs tell players not to wiggle their fingers up in the air.
If the opposing coach yells out something to his team during the Ft is that a violation- shoot again if its a miss?
Old Sat Jan 19, 2008, 11:13pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpbreeze
on a loose ball if the offensive team in the frontcourt dives for the loose ball and slides. in my mind he had control of it and slide about five feet and into the backcourt. I wasn't sure if it was backcourt.
If you've ruled that possession was gained in the frontcourt and then same player with possession retreated to the backcourt, this is in fact a violation.

Quote:
on a screen do you have to keep your arms down. in a game I watched a player kept putting both his arms in the air while setting a screen.
You can raise your arms while maintaining the principle of verticality. You cannot extend your arms outside of your cylinder. You also cannot steer the person you're screening. For the cylinder that defines the player, I use the 4-shoulder method: his 2 shoulders and where his shoulders would be should he rotate 90 degrees.

Quote:
just thought of this- in high school ball are you allowed to have your arms up before the ft. I thought no but I keep seeing it including NCAA games. perhaps high school refs let it slide. I've seen refs tell players not to wiggle their fingers up in the air.
Yes, you've allowed to have your arms up in the air. You're not allowed to move your arms about to disconcert the free thrower.

Quote:
If the opposing coach yells out something to his team during the Ft is that a violation- shoot again if its a miss?
I've been taught to nip this in the bud. I believe it was a POE one year and I've heard more than 1 nearby local board interpret that this is in fact disconcertation. My take now is to call the first time. That sends the message loud and clear, while also following the rule as written.
Old Sun Jan 20, 2008, 12:12am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
You can raise your arms while maintaining the principle of verticality. You cannot extend your arms outside of your cylinder. You also cannot steer the person you're screening. For the cylinder that defines the player, I use the 4-shoulder method: his 2 shoulders and where his shoulders would be should he rotate 90 degrees.

Praise the Gods of Basketball: Cylinder of Verticality. I am not alone.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 07:20am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
I've been taught to nip this in the bud. I believe it was a POE one year and I've heard more than 1 nearby local board interpret that this is in fact disconcertation. My take now is to call the first time. That sends the message loud and clear, while also following the rule as written.
Seems I've heard more "talking in the lane" and "loud talk from the bench" this yr. I understand the "I got shooter" and "box out" and not letting them say anything loud right as they're shooting, etc. Does anyone have a "rule of thumb" they use when deciding if its disconcertion vs just normal jabbering? Warning at different levels?
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar
Seems I've heard more "talking in the lane" and "loud talk from the bench" this yr. I understand the "I got shooter" and "box out" and not letting them say anything loud right as they're shooting, etc. Does anyone have a "rule of thumb" they use when deciding if its disconcertion vs just normal jabbering? Warning at different levels?
I just hold the ball and pointedly ask the "defense" if they are all clear on the assignments.
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RCBSports
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Praise the Gods of Basketball: Cylinder of Verticality. I am not alone.

MTD, Sr.
As you know, I am only 16 and a community ref. Could you explain this in more details( 'Cylinder of Verticality"? ) Never heard of it in that term.

Thanks
WVSSAC - MonValley Referee
Little League Baseball Umpire Coordinator
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

When I saw loose ball and screen, I thought it would be the out-of-bounds play. Example: Team A in their front court, has a loose ball headed out of play. B1 sees that the ball will be out on A, steps in front of A1 to prevent him from getting to the loose ball, as it bounds out. I've never called an illegal screen on this play, but I've had a few that probably could have warranted one.
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Cylinder of Verticallity?

Explain....

Screening cannot extend outside shoulders. So if a screener has his arms up so that arm extends from a 90 degree angle from body and then up.. Arms are not where they are supposed to be and it will be a foul. (Part of the arm is extended out of verticality....